Skip to content

Can I make something abundantly clear

OK, so I hear a lot of people fearing that Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition will be bug-ridden upon release. This fear is understandable, as many folks struggled with the bugs in Enhanced Baldur's Gate I and II when they were initially released.

Now, I can't truly speak for Overhaul Games. And I know, a lot of people don't like to hear, "It'll be different this time!" once a track record has been established. Everyone would rather see action than words. Unfortunately, for the time being, all we truly have is words.

These words, however, have made it quite clear that IWD:EE will not suffer from massive amounts of bugs upon releasing. Overhaul Games has much more freedom over this project; there is no time table. There is no publisher insisting they release on time. They have a time estimate, so that they can work towards a goal and thus work faster (thus not falling into the Valve Time trap), but they can easily decide to wait until the game is more stable before releasing it.

I have been very realistic and blunt in my opinions of Overhaul Games' work on our beloved Infinity Engine games in the past. So you know that I am not biased, and I am saying this out of fact, not opinion. I see no reason to fear that Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition will launch with game-breaking bugs.

Thank you for reading.
kaguanaMathsorcerercmk24jackjackelementBelgarathMTHSilverstarThe_New_RomanceNonnahswriterbooinyoureyesKerthalatcDaveEnialusMeliamneCoryNewbDragonspearmlnevesexzarsrevengewindspinKoyoteDrugarVarwulfCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovStarflower2525JairyannalolienSCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I'm with you, but I still fear we'll be disappointed. I know next to nothing about software development, so I won't be angry at anyone for anything, but I just can't help the notion that things could have worked out better, overall.
    Quartzjackjack
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    nb4 it's taken almost a year and BG2:EE is still absolutely abysmal and unplayable.

Get ready for some flame for having faith in the company Quartz.
    Quartz
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    What are you @Wiggles‌ a 5 year old? And the one that eats paste? If Quartz and many, many other's hopes are dashed, so what?? It doesnt cost you anything, so stfu already. Not the thread for whinning like a kicked baby.
    CrevsDaakFrogman
    Nailed it?
    booinyoureyesNimranElendar
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    Quartz said:

These words, however, have made it quite clear that IWD:EE will not suffer from massive amounts of bugs upon releasing. Overhaul Games has much more freedom over this project; there is no time table. There is no publisher insisting they release on time. They have a time estimate, so that they can work towards a goal and thus work faster (thus not falling into the Valve Time trap), but they can easily decide to wait until the game is more stable before releasing it.

I cannot, in good conscience, regard this as solid proof of the game being relatively bug-free upon release. Nevertheless, the other issue is this; how will some customers be convinced that IWD:EE justifies the delay in BG2:EE support?

Right now, developing a bug-free product is as important as offering convincing reasons to buy said product under the current circumstances.
    QuartzThe_New_Romance
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Excelsior?
    @decado said:

I'm half way through a playthrough with an evil party this time and so far have not found the game unplayable in any way shape or form (it's also not my first playthrough). A few minor bugs such as spelling or scenes not kicking off correctly but nothing that a reload at worse didn't solve.

I feel bad though as obviously you haven't yet managed to play the game through due to whatever issues you are hitting. Hopefully 1.3 will sort it out for you.

I actually really love both games and am very excited for IWD:EE. Not one complaint from me. :P
    QuartzronaldokaguanaNimran
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I think the problem that went down is that EE had a few major selling points that didn't work out well and fast, namely "new stable engine" and "bug squashing/consolidation". In my perception, it was never that much about adding Dorn or whatever, but mainly about a solid technical fundament for newer generation machines. People were put off when that wasn't really fully cooked. Maybe their expectations were to high, maybe Beamdog promised to much. What I find important, though, is that at its core it really isn't about the bugs that still exist right now or about "unplayability" or such statements, but more about the disappointment that spread months or even years ago, and which is still lingering.
    Quartz
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited September 2014
    Jace said:

Nevertheless, the other issue is this; how will some customers be convinced that IWD:EE justifies the delay in BG2:EE support?

You've heard of multitasking right? Why do you presume that Beamdog is incapable of doing two things at once? Much of what will be involved with a BG2 patch was already included in the BG1 patch, so no doubt the turn around will be much quicker this time around. At least I hope so. Personally I don't feel any sense of urgency. While I haven't gotten very far into the game yet, I have yet to encounter any serious bugs.

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Belanos said:

Jace said:

Nevertheless, the other issue is this; how will some customers be convinced that IWD:EE justifies the delay in BG2:EE support?

You've heard of multitasking right? Why do you presume that Beamdog is incapable of doing two things at once? Much of what will be involved with a BG2 patch was already included in the BG1 patch, so no doubt the turn around will be much quicker this time around. At least I hope so. Personally I don't feel any sense of urgency. While I haven't gotten very far into the game yet, I have yet to encounter any serious bugs.

More importantly, the people who squash the bugs aren't the same people coding out new items and restoring cut content for the initial release of IWD. Really, the only thing that delayed the patching of BG2EE was, in fact, the patching of BGEE, because that patch is meant to be the framework of future patches of ALL THREE games.
    cmk24atcDavejackjack
  • Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    edited September 2014
    Dont forget us android people still waiting for bg2ee almost a year after release. Bgee on android has been extreemely well done even though it took quite a long time (new platform, lots of new problems i know). Although i was hoping for bg2ee android and the 1.3 patch before iwdee and its multiplatform release... ill take either at this point i guess... and probably like it... i think we all just want it now and want it perfect but i can still understand the impatience... please let it release before next friday im going on a trip :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Cr4zyJ said:

Dont forget us android people still waiting for bg2ee almost a year after release. Bgee on android has been extreemely well done even though it took quite a long time (new platform, lots of new problems i know). Although i was hoping for bg2ee android and the 1.3 patch before iwdee and its multiplatform release... ill take either at this point i guess... and probably like it... i think we all just want it now and want it perfect but i can still understand the impatience... please let it release before next friday im going on a trip :)

Soon™
    jackjackWiggles
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193

More importantly, the people who squash the bugs aren't the same people coding out new items and restoring cut content for the initial release of IWD.

If that's the case, then they need more dedicated people in the bugsquish department, or more effective flow of work and communication between everyone involved in patching, because the rate of patches looks atrocious.

But, for all we know, there could be people who are adept at everything and they are being moved from department to department depending on priorities.

Bottom line is I can't feel the same hype for IWD:EE as I felt for BG:EE for reasons many can probably relate. I really appreciate the fact that other people are willing to invest in the risk, because I can take the back seat and judge the game (and maaaaaaaybe buy it, but that's a stretch) after they have played it and shared their criticism.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Well, @Quartz‌ , wow! I've been surprised at your OP. It seems there's still some faith into Beamdog in your heart:)

I share the feeling they will do it right this time. They have all the keys. The fact there was no countdown and/or exact time estimation combined with the clues (from screenshots and comments) that the game is already playable makes me think this will be the most polished product (at the release stage) by Beamdog.

To me, all the fixes and enhancements during the road to the 1.3 BGEE patch have been used on making IWDEE. The engine is nearly the same and they had 6 months to test it thoroughly not only between themselves but also all those beta testers of BGEE.

I think it's just an imperative for Beamdog to show they have learned their lessons of BGEE 1&2 releases in order to give an impression they're serious and in order to get rights for the BGNext no matter what it would be.

Of course, we are not part of their team and can't know for sure, but the possibility of a smooth launch of IWDEE is very high.

Let's cross fingers and get it finally!
    kaguanaQuartzkcwise