Skip to content

Zero visual improvements?

Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
One of the main reasons--THE main reason, actually--I had interest in this enhanced edition was the promise of improved visuals. I remember some old Trent Oster tweets about improving the visuals, and the only worrisome thing was that he said they were applying filters to make the old art look better at higher-resolution, because the original artwork had disappeared.

But, looking at the revamped site, it doesn't appear that there is ANY improvement. At all. The screenshots are low-resolution (1280 x 720) at a width that, IIRC, was manageable by the infinity engine itself. Where are the 1080p screens? And even more worrisome, the backgrounds appear identical. Worst of all, the character sprites ARE identical and look awful due to the fact that they're merely enlarged versions of the original sprites. And if that basic stuff isn't getting improved... at all... it's a fair bet none of the visual (i.e. magic) effects have been improved, either.

So, is there legimiate cause for disappointment here, or is this (yet another) case of the BGEE folks posting screens of an unfinished version of the game? Because $20 is a pretty steep asking price for the kind of content (quests, BG2 enhancements, etc.) that's been readily available in the mod community for more than a decade.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The only big visual improvements that BGEE will have will be for the GUI, movies and the chapter/dream cutscenes.

There are limits to what filters can accomplish to improve the original areas, so the only big improvement you'll see in that area will be the ability to zoom so you don't have to play with smaller avatars on higher resolutions.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

At the very least, will it be mod-friendly? Considering that, IIRC, we could mod the IE games to add/replace backgrounds and sprites, it would be nice if it would at least be possible to give modders the opportunity to re-create everything in high-resolution.

And no matter what resolution you play at, shouldn't the avatars be the same size? Otherwise, how would this EE version be any better than current HD mods? 'Cause right now, playing an IE game at high-resolution without getting a "zoomed out" image is quite literally the ONLY draw.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I still want to see if we will be rid of the avatar pixelation, hopefully we will.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Arsene_Lupin

That's why I mentioned the zoom function.

As for modability. Some of the current modder tools need to be updated to work on BGEE, but the mod-friendliness of the originals shouldn't change much (though from what I've seen, its not that the BG games were particularly mod friendly, but that modders managed to overcome the limitations of the Infinity Engine).
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited August 2012
    There have been some new screenshots posted on Beamdogs site for the game.

http://www.beamdog.com/products/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition

The character sprites, to me, look very crisp and improved. So unless they applied some type of Photoshopping to the photos to just pretty them up, there does seem to be some improvement. It looks like the character sprites have been anti-aliased in software.

Also @Arsene_Lupin, the new adventures were designed in 3D so all new areas should look pretty good. I admit the snow covered areas look boring but the new wilderness scenes look very good to me.
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Backgrounds will be much clearer, load times way shorter and path finding improved. It also sets a baseline for all mods and possibly expanded content as it matures. Well worth $20 to me. :D
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I expected more, but Ill buy it anyway.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Looks pretty damn sexy to me.
  • harvman11harvman11 Member Posts: 33
    My ideal for the project was a full-HD remake, but that's obviously not possible with the current situation. I never thought the current graphics look bad, so I'm not too broken up about it, my biggest concern is just making sure it's playable on current systems. I have a lot of trouble getting BG to work on my computer, especially with certain mods installed, so even if all BG:EE was is BG1 + Tutu and working multiplayer that worked on my current system, I'd still gladly pay the $20 for it (and in hopes of BG3!).

To me the professionally done characters, quests, class, etc. are all just icing on the cake.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    @harvman11 You're in luck. They rewrote the UI and graphics engine to be modern code. It runs even on Windows x64.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    The backgrounds are a bit better. I acknowledge this. But the other points raised here? Eh... not really.

To begin with, we haven't even seen the new UI, so at this point we don't even know if it really is new at all, let alone better than the old UI. Pathfinding was hardly an issue at all in ToB/TuTu. Load times are already lightning-quick on modern PCs and the game, or at least the GOG version, already runs perfectly fine on 64-bit operating systems (Vista and Win7).

So what does BGEE offer?

Well, new content. I'll admit it, I'm quite interested in the new stuff. But paid-DLC? Not so much. Not so much by a longshot.

And then there's the new UI... which we haven't seen... with a zoom-feature, which while kind of nice, is purely aesthetic--it won't change gameplay, nor will it improve gameplay due to the basic fog-of-war and line-of-sight mechanics at play.

And finally, the promise of being able to play the game normally at high resolutions. But the thing is, while every thing else on the screen--even the filtered backgrounds--will be able, ostensibly, to display at resolution close to at least 1600p (assuming Beamdog is being honest), the actual sprites will be locked in at the original resolution.

Which was very, very small.

Just how bad is it?

Well, the original Baldur's Gate displayed at a resolution of 640x480. No more. A (human) character sprite was approximately 55 pixels tall (from head to foot). That makes the sprite around 11% as tall as the screen's height.

So, great. But what does that mean for BGEE?

Well, take me, for example. I would be running BGEE on a 1080p monitor. That means a resolution of 1900x1080. Roughly 3 times the resolution the game was intended to run at. With BGTuTu and a widescreen mod, this results in zooming the camera out 3 times further than it ought to be, making the game unplayable (or, rather, unplayable as it was meant to be played).

But played as it's meant to be played, the 55px sprite will have to be enlarged to take up 11% of that screen.... which is about 124 pixels. So, basically, in BGEE sprites will be displayed at less than half the resolution of the background images and UI!

Which is, I think, precisely the reason why Beamdog has ONLY released very low-resolution screenshots.
  • EilerEiler Member Posts: 93
    I like the screenshots and they ARE visually improved in my opinion if those screenshots are any indicator. There is a lot less 'noise' and it is easier to see landscape details now. Those are exactly the kind of changes I would have wanted. I would have been dissapointed if the environments had been heavily changed.

There have been some new screenshots posted on Beamdogs site for the game.

http://www.beamdog.com/products/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition

The character sprites, to me, look very crisp and improved. So unless they applied some type of Photoshopping to the photos to just pretty them up, there does seem to be some improvement. It looks like the character sprites have been anti-aliased in software.

Also @Arsene_Lupin, the new adventures were designed in 3D so all new areas should look pretty good. I admit the snow covered areas look boring but the new wilderness scenes look very good to me.

edited August 2012
    The sprites will be upscaled as well to whatever max resolution it will support.

As far as i understood, they won't just appear smaller.

To my knowledge, the procedure is to upscale them and then clear pixelation.

If anything they should appear crisper at the end product.

The zooming will be pretty deep so there would be no point to zoom up close to see a pixelated nightmare.

I believe for the money they ask it's fine, indeed a visual makeover would be sweet though.

Off topic, a question if anyone can answer. Are the art assets to Icewind Dale 2 available? Because, since they use the same art practically, if it existed they could use those assets to improve the graphics in BG ( in the future and if they get their hands on that).

In other words, if you touch Icewind Dale, please make sure the assets are there :P
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308

let alone better than the old UI.

That wouldn't be a hard thing to do.
  • harvman11harvman11 Member Posts: 33
    @bigdogchris oh I'm fully aware of that, I've been following BG:EE very closely since it was announced. I was just trying to say that just having BG1 in the ToB engine running on modern comps with functioning multiplayer is really the worst case scenario here, and that's still enough to get my purchase. I'm excited to see the extra content (including the post-release stuff), but even if that's not so great I know I'll get literally hundreds of hours out of this purchase, so it's easily worth $20.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There's also a marked difference between "will run fine on Windows7 x64" and "has been updated in the code specifically to take advantage of modern operating systems". As has been pointed out in Trent's tweets, the code from the original game was designed with Windows 95 in mind. It was a completely different OS back then than what we have now. I think you'll notice some definite improvements on the engine side of things, too; not just in terms of visuals.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    I may be skeptic, but any chance that those 'screenshots' have been 'enhanced'? I mean, a screenshot should represent the game as it really is, it should not be altered after being taken. And I really do want to see a few 1080p screenshots as well.
  • StrangeCatStrangeCat Member Posts: 39
    Those screen shots are not the final version of the game. That's from an early PR. You would have to
    wait till around September before the publish any more screen shots. Remember a Dev has to have everything approved before it can be seen by the public for the game they are working on.
    I'm guessing they are still experimenting with different algorithms etc, to find the best possible outcome.

There should be some ways to spice up the eye candy.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    CCarluNN said:

I may be skeptic, but any chance that those 'screenshots' have been 'enhanced'?

I think they were clipped and resized. So maybe 'enhanced' in a CSI sense?
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    There's some kind of anti-aliasing going on. It looks great. I hope it's an in-game filter instead of Photoshop.
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    Kenyon said:

There's some kind of anti-aliasing going on. It looks great. I hope it's an in-game filter instead of Photoshop.

If you follow Trent Oster on Twitter he's mentioned recently the visual tricks being done to do that style of photoshop work on the fly, here it is.
    Just saw some examples of the new Catmull-Rom Bicubic filtering in real time. Makes a great game look even better on big screens
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    If you follow Trent Oster on Twitter he's mentioned recently the visual tricks being done to do that style of photoshop work on the fly, here it is.
    You say Photoshop but you mean NOT in Photoshop, right? So it's in the game?
    edited August 2012
    Evinfuilt said:

Kenyon said:

Just saw some examples of the new Catmull-Rom Bicubic filtering in real time. Makes a great game look even better on big screens

You're saying that Oster would publicly declare photoshopping the image to add anti-aliasing so it looks better than it would in game?

If he did that and then people discovered the truth by playing the game, wouldn't it be... well, disastrous?

I don't think he meant that. I think he meant big HD screens of today (like 27' 30' etc), not screenshots.

It would be an in-game feature, i can't imagine them adding anti-aliasing through photoshop in the screenshot.

Unless i understood what you meant wrong, and you mean they clipped the image with photoshop.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think he meant photoshop to mean "changing of images". So...yes.
  • JadbrakJadbrak Member Posts: 1
    I gotta say, I will definitely not buy the game if they change the art style, or if the game doesn't look like the original game in a major way, (sprites significantly altered, magic effects dramatically "improved"[messed up], etc.) because that's pretty much heresy to even consider messing with what is probably the best art I have ever seen in a video game. The only other game I can think of with art I liked nearly as much (besides IWD and other infinity games) would be Arcanum, and I definitely think BG is the better of the two in that respect. I hope this adds better functionality for modern systems, a bit of new content, and better mod support without altering the game's "feel", and I guess I'm a bit skeptical about the whole idea of revamping old games like this. On the other hand, the people running the show are generally more competent than most, so I will have faith that Sept. 18 will be a happy day for us all.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    Nathan, I'm sorry to be a bother and maybe this is a stupid question but everywhere I go I see "Oh no, the art is lost, we're so sad..." but what the frak does that mean? How is the art "lost"?

Are the ingame art assets somehow hard coded or "packed" or in some way resistant to modification so that a visual rework is just way to impractical (time consuming) without the source material or what?
    edited August 2012
    The sprites, the character avatars, monsters, even the backrounds were not 2D images. They were created as 3D files, and then made into the 2D images you see (rendering).

These 3D files that were the "source art" or "art assets", are usually stored somewhere, but Bioware lost them.

If you have the 3D files, you can change them, improve them, etc, and then make them into animations files again (BAM files).

Since the 3D files were lost, they can't improve the 2D images, they need to recreate them from scratch as new 3D files and re-BAM them.

Or something like that.

It basically works one way, doing the reverse is too much work for the end result.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited August 2012
    Jean_Luc said:

Nathan, I'm sorry to be a bother and maybe this is a stupid question but everywhere I go I see "Oh no, the art is lost, we're so sad..." but what the frak does that mean? How is the art "lost"?

Are the ingame art assets somehow hard coded or "packed" or in some way resistant to modification so that a visual rework is just way to impractical (time consuming) without the source material or what?

Baldur's Gate graphics are mainly pre-renders ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-rendering ) of 3D models at a specific resolution, a low one given that they were aiming for 640x480. Had the original 3D models been saved, a higher-resolution render could have been possible. As is, all Beamdog has is the pre-renders that shipped with the game, so the best they can do is upscale them, which doesn't add any real detail: it just spreads the same information across more pixels.