Skip to content

What the biggest "experience split" that you have allowed in your party?

For BG2 I want to have a party with Aerie, Jaheira, and Viconia. If my PC is a single-class or dual-class person then the experience will be split 6-ways.

I thought about being a dual-class fighter/mage but I'm apprehensive because then I'll have to spend a long time as a wimpy mage before I can regain my fighter skills. So I'm thinking about being a multi-class fighter/mage, but then the exp would be split 7-ways, which seems like a huge hindrance.

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    If done properly, a dual class fighter/wizard doesn't have a whole lot of down time. Figure out your cut off point (somewhere in BG2) and hoard your scrolls. Once you change class, reform you party with only Charname. Scribe all of your scrolls in one go. The XP gain for scribing scrolls is SIGNIFICANT.

You can also hold off on getting several rewards from various quests. Shooom. you will be back in the saddle in short order. Leastwise, you won't be 'wimpy' for very long. Once you are 6th level Wizard, you are throwing fireballs if nothing else.
  • thesoloerthesoloer Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2014
    Gotural said:

It won't split the xp 7-ways. It will still split the xp 6-ways because there is 6 characters, but the fraction of the xp that your Fighter/Mage will get will be split 2-ways between his two class.

Which means the xp will be split 12-ways for each of your class, but 1/12 +1/12 = 1/6 so the total amount of xp earned by your charname will be equal to the amount of xp earned by your others party members.

Having 5 triple class in a party doesn't slow the progression of the last party member for example.

I don't understand. If me, Aerie, and Jaheira are all multiclass, and Viconia is single class, wouldn't that be 7 classes to split the exp between? Wouldn't 5 triple classes be splitting exp 15-ways? I've always thought that that's how it worked.

EDIT: nevermind I understand it now. Thanks!

If done properly, a dual class fighter/wizard doesn't have a whole lot of down time. Figure out your cut off point (somewhere in BG2) and hoard your scrolls. Once you change class, reform you party with only Charname. Scribe all of your scrolls in one go. The XP gain for scribing scrolls is SIGNIFICANT.

You can also hold off on getting several rewards from various quests. Shooom. you will be back in the saddle in short order. Leastwise, you won't be 'wimpy' for very long. Once you are 6th level Wizard, you are throwing fireballs if nothing else.

I'm thinking about dual classing to mage at level 8 so that I will only have to get 135, 000 exp instead of 250, 000 exp to get my fighter skills back. Why is level 9 generally considered the best level to dual to mage? Is it because of the hp and thac0 bonuses?
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    It's because you get a Hit Dice at every Fighter level up to 9, so the 9th level will gives you 1d10+ Constitution bonus in HP which is huge. After that, you will only gain 3 HP per Fighter level. At level 9 you also earn one more daily use of your Enrage ability (if you're a Berserker) or a 1 bonus to THAC0 and damage if you're a Kensai which is pretty cool.

So you either dual at 7 for the extra 1/2 APR, 9 for the maxed Hit Dice progression and additional bonuses from your eventual kit or 13 for the last 1/2 APR.

Or you could also dual at level 5 if you only care about BG1. A Fighter 5 can dual into Mage and reach the max level of 9 in BG1 which is the maximum possible for a singleclass Mage.
    Does the exp cap reset when you dual class in BG1? Like if you had 25, 000 exp as a fighter then dualed to a mage, could you still get 161,000 exp as a mage? Or would you stop at 136,000 exp?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    thesoloer said:

Does the exp cap reset when you dual class in BG1? Like if you had 25, 000 exp as a fighter then dualed to a mage, could you still get 161,000 exp as a mage? Or would you stop at 136,000 exp?

You'd stop at 136,000.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I've never done this, but someone should try to beat vanilla Baldur's Gate 1 with six triple class party members. On the easiest difficulty. Good luck ever getting to level 2!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014

I've never done this, but someone should try to beat vanilla Baldur's Gate 1 with six triple class party members. On the easiest difficulty. Good luck ever getting to level 2!

Well consider that you could have all 6 people with access to the Sleep spell it probably would be pretty easy. It would take more experience than normal, but it still would be doable.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

The party will look like this then:

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @bengoshi‌ 6 ninja turtles? Overpower... :)
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277

The Baldur's Gate equivalent of running a six Magikarp team. Which I have done.

It was fun.