Skip to content

lich

Hi everyone
I am having a problem with a mummy called lich.
He is at a tavern at gate district, behind a hidden door.
He is a powerful magic caster, so i transformed Nalia to a mustard jelly and sent her ahead to make this guy waste his spells, before i start the attack, but it seems that there is no end to his memorized spells!!!
And i am not able to bring his protection spell such as fireshield down.
is this a bug??? Or am i doing something wrong?

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    It's not a mummy called lich, he is a lich!!!
    He is a very powerful enemy, but he should not have infinite spells. Are you using any mods?
    Btw he is immune to low level spells (up to fifth level) and it's not an easy fight.
  • jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
    No, i am not using any mod in my first play-through.
    Finally i succeed at wasting all of his memorized spells, then but still i am not able to bring down his protection spells, specially his annoying fireshield. Right now, i can only cast spells up to 5th level spells, not higher, so my mages are completely useless now? No way to bring down his protective spells at this lower levels?
  • RonnaannRonnaann Member Posts: 48
    Lich's are well hard to kill. You might be better off avoiding him for a while or if you can't, now is the time to use ALL those potions.

The game doesn't really get much harder
    Ronnaann said:

Lich's are well hard to kill. You might be better off avoiding him for a while or if you can't, now is the time to use ALL those potions.

The game doesn't really get much harder

Which potion is in question here?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited September 2014
    Giant Hint: The chest in his room has a longsword (Nalia can equip it even, before going into mustard form)... it has a spell like ability very handy to injure or kill undead.

Kinda Cheesey But Pretty Smart: Protection from Undead scroll.

If you want a REALLY cheesey strategy, say so, there a few that can make Lichs much easier.

Edit: There are potions that give Fire Resistance, and low level spells to boost it further. This can help with Fireshield. Mostly you just need to hit him until he drops if your spells can't cut it. Weapons that deal elemental damage can do damage past Stoneskin. If you have an Inquisitor, I think they can bypass the 5th level spell thing.
    DreadKhan said:

Giant Hint: The chest in his room has a longsword (Nalia can equip it even, before going into mustard form)... it has a spell like ability very handy to injure or kill undead.

Kinda Cheesey But Pretty Smart: Protection from Undead scroll.

If you want a REALLY cheesey strategy, say so, there a few that can make Lichs much easier.

Edit: There are potions that give Fire Resistance, and low level spells to boost it further. This can help with Fireshield. Mostly you just need to hit him until he drops if your spells can't cut it. Weapons that deal elemental damage can do damage past Stoneskin. If you have an Inquisitor, I think they can bypass the 5th level spell thing.

Thanks for this useful hint. :)
    Also i would like to know about this cheesey strategy of yours, since it can be helpful.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    You can mess up his spells often by walking in and out of the little room.

Its not exclusively an engine exploit, because you usually need to be able to see a target to cast a spell, so the spell fizzles. If you do this quickly, he shouldnt follow you IE out and quickly back in. He should Gate a Pit Fiend (...which looks like a giant spaghetti monster. No, I don't know what description the artist was working from), which iirc will be hostile to him, so he'll fight it and waste more spells.
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    I find it annoying that liches waste their time attacking their own summons, especially since they always protect themselves against evil before gating a demon. Bad, bad AI scripts.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    As this is the first playthrough I'd really suggest you try to beat him without exploits.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    This game has a way of telling you when your party is not ready for a certain area. It is very satisfying when getting stomped to return at a later date and return the favor. I agree with @decado‌, sure you can cheese or use exploits, but then why are you playing the game?

I know not everybody feels that way though. In the end, whatever gives you enjoyment is the way you should play.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Elemental arrows do the work after his prot. from magical weapons vanishes
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Azuredge throwing axe is a good lich killer. When he is not protected from magical weapons, one hit from this weapon has a good chance to destroy the undead monstrosity. No, stoneskin or mirror image won't protect from this. It is sold by Bernard in Copper Coronet. (Though you might need to free the slaves there first, I am not sure.)
    Hey, how may i remove a lich's immunities? i can't detect their alignment with their annoying immunities.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    jahes64 said:

Hey, how may i remove a lich's immunities? i can't detect their alignment with their annoying immunities.

In the case of Detect Alignment or Detect Evil you can't, since they are immune to level 5 and lower spells. The only way to basically do that is to mod out the immunity.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I have found the Druid spell, Conjure Fire Elemental, very handy against Lichs. Of course it would not have helped here as it is a level 6 spell, I believe.
    elminster said:

jahes64 said:

In the case of Detect Alignment or Detect Evil you can't, since they are immune to level 5 and lower spells. The only way to basically do that is to mod out the immunity.
    How to mod this? i want to make detect alignment to affect a lot of NPC's and have very short casting time (i don't see any point in its long casting time; it is not a combat spell afterall) in addition to bypassing immunities. (Would be better if i could add such a special version of detect alignment to my PC's special abilities menu)
    SionIV said:

Pibaro said:

I don't know why i found this so amusing, but can't stop giggling.

i assumed that he is a mummy because he was shambling.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Why do you want to cast know alignment? I guess you can do whatever you want, but it's a pretty useless spell. Almost nobody ever uses it. Also, modding is very hard. I wouldn't get into that on my first playthrough. But if you want to try, that's fine, of course.
    Nimran said:

He wanted to know if a murderous undead mage who was trying to kill him was evil or not.

Actually the one that i encountered this once, seems to be GOOD. He does not even know that he is a lich! He won't attack; he want to destroy something that he says is dangerous. Having Edwin nearby when talking to him, however, makes him defend to keep his dangerous property from getting used.

i am curious, that is. Anyway, having such a special version of detect alignment could be quite helpful. With it, i won't waste my time casting this spell on everyone individually and then reload and repeat.

Pls someone make this mod for me, thanks.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    jahes64 said:

Nimran said:

He wanted to know if a murderous undead mage who was trying to kill him was evil or not.

Actually the one that i encountered this once, seems to be GOOD. He does not even know that he is a lich! He won't attack; he want to destroy something that he says is dangerous. Having Edwin nearby when talking to him, however, makes him defend to keep his dangerous property from getting used.

i am curious, that is. Anyway, having such a special version of detect alignment could be quite helpful. With it, i won't waste my time casting this spell on everyone individually and then reload and repeat.

Oh, that one. I think he's still evil, though.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    jahes64 said:

Just because someone doesn't go all psychopath on you at first sight doesn't make them good, or even non-evil. Lots of evil characters are entirely happy NOT slaughtering puppies and baby unicorns all day - it's being evil when it COUNTS that defines you. In fact, I'm pretty sure that things like Lawful Evil are entirely defined by people being law-abiding and conformist as long as they think they can't get away with the alternative - but as soon as no one's looking, they'll show a different side.

I also believe that within DND, the VAST majority of liches are evil. Like seriously all but a handful, if you exclude Baelnorns who, while a type of undead mage, are really a separate category and not liches per se. I believe it has to do with the process of becoming a lich, too, which is a base and inherently evil ritual requiring all sorts of unspeakable acts and vile ingredients. It's not IMPOSSIBLE for a Lich to be good - but it's EXTREMELY rare.

Even the most reasonable lich in all of BG, Vongoethe, who openly says he doesn't want a fight and is entirely open to argument and negotiation, is in fact of Lawful Evil alignment. And that's really as pleasant as it gets for liches, in any scenario.
    edited November 2014
    Today i encountered another Lich at bridge district which is pretty hard, none of my magical weapons are able to hit him, even plus 4 weapons! How may i damage him?
  • oldgamer518oldgamer518 Member Posts: 18
    SionIV said:

Pibaro said:

I don't know why i found this so amusing, but can't stop giggling.

That cracked me up, too. The excitement of playing for the first time!