Skip to content

How far can 70 in Find Traps take you?

In my current game of BG1:EE, I'm in Chapter 4, with all of my party members at level 4 in their respective classes. Imoen had been dual'd to a mage and has recently regained her thief skills. She has 70 points in Find Traps. I'd installed the component of the NPC Project that allows you to access Tiax and Alora at much earlier stages of the game. I had been using Tiax for thieving while Imoen level'd up. Now I've just arrived in Gullykin and swapped out Alora for Tiax (for RP reasons), and the likelihood is that I will use her as my party's main thief for the remainder of the game. However, she currently only has about 30 in Find Traps.

My question is, how far can I get with Imoen's 70 in Find Traps while I wait for Alora to reach a couple more levels and bulk up her stat? At this point, I'm probably going to head off for the Cloakwood forests, which means that I'll be encountering some horrific spider traps fairly soon. I'm playing the game fairly lineally, which means that I'm primarily focused on the main quest with a minimum of "wandering" around other areas. I know that over 100 in find traps is needed for Durlag's Tower, but the likelihood is that I won't be travelling there, so I'm not concerned about that.

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    70 should be enough for the spider traps in Cloakwood. With a potion of perception and mind focusing you can get close to 100 in find traps, that should be enough for most anything in the game's main quest areas. (Durlag's will be painful unless you buy a lot of potions of perception)
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    lunar said:

70 should be enough for the spider traps in Cloakwood. With a potion of perception and mind focusing you can get close to 100 in find traps, that should be enough for most anything in the game's main quest areas. (Durlag's will be painful unless you buy a lot of potions of perception)

Durlag's Tower has quite a few potions of perception on the first level of the labyrinth as I recall. More than enough to get you through, in my experience.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I do this. Although, with Imoen I usually go up to 100 in find traps and then all the rest in pick pocketing. I use her as a ranged thief, with find traps on constantly (their is a script that does just this... pretty useful).

I then pick another thief to go 100 in open locks in BG... But 60 will be fine as a potion of master thievery will see you fine.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I've run an assassin through BG recently and can say that the Cloakwood spider area can be done at 55 in Disarm Traps. The only trap you won't be able to disarm at that skill prior to the BG city is located next to Davaeorn.

With 70, you'll be fine till the very end if you don't go to the Durlag's Tower. Still, this level of skill will be enough to *detect* every trap in this Tower and when you get a message that you can't disarm it, just gulp a potion and you'll be able to do it;)
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Chug a couple potions cast invis and run around and disable all the traps. Every so often somebody will need to open a door for you.