Skip to content

[BG2] BUG - Damage received when rage state ends on a Berserker is increased with difficulty (0824)

TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
edited September 2012 in Fixed
This one came from a discussion on the public forum:

Problem: The Enrage ability of Berserkers grants, among other things, 15 extra HP. Once the rage state ends, this extra 15 HP is removed by inflicting 15 HP of damage on the Berserker. The problem is that if you're playing on the higher difficulty settings that increase the damage you receive, this also makes the rage ending inflict more damage on the user.

That wouldn't be too bad, except this turns the Enrage ability into a certain death sentence if you're level 1 and playing on the highest difficulty setting. This wasn't an issue in BG2 because you start at level 7.

Expected Behaviour: Change the way this bonus HP works so that when the Rage state ends you lose only 15 HP regardless of the difficulty level you're playing on.

EDIT: I'm not sure if anyone has alreayd reported this one.
Post edited by Bhryaen on
AndreaColombomeagloth

Comments

• SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited August 2012
    I could try to put an ignore difficulty flag in the last unknown dword of the effect header. I can't seem to find anything that uses this memory so it should be good ( @CamDawg @Wisp ) ?

It's saved in the code as "special" and only referenced when saving an effect to file or copying an effect. It isn't being referenced by any code determining application.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @SethDavis
    In that case I would prefer the dword at 0x24, since that is already a bit field. Bit 24 (starting from 0) is used by ToBEx et al. (effect bypasses Mirror Image), but the rest should be fair game.
    @Wisp - Ah, can do. Just to confirm, that's the dword that is responsible for save types?
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @SethDavis
    Yeah, that's the one.
    SethDavis
    edited August 2012
    Potentially fixed - My berserker survives her tantrum at the highest difficulty with no additional damage taken beyond the 15. The flag is bit number 25 on the save type section.
    TanthalasWispCrevsDaak
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Whoa, i like new bits :)
    CrevsDaak
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Sweet, this can also solve the mismatching HP drain issues for Larloch's and Vampiric Touch.
    Avenger_teambgCrevsDaak
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @CamDawg

I'm guessing that the current fix concerning Larloch's and Vampiric Touch is going to become outdated soon?
    meagloth
    @SethDavis

I forgot about this, but Minsc has his own special Berserk ability that gives him 15 HP (that I believe is not the same one as the Beserker kit). And it needs to be changed too. I just tested this one by having Minsc kill himself with the ability.
    meagloth
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Unfortunately, we'll still need the shell spells and shenanigans to make sure you don't get free HP when the target resist the spells, but it will solve the last issue of the target HP drain and caster HP gains not being equal due to the difficulty slider.
    edited August 2012
    @CamDawg - Excellent, I was kinda hoping it could be applied there as well.

@Tanthalas - NI is not cooperating atm, will have to find that ability the hard way. Ok, I think I've got it. Yup
    Post edited by SethDavis on
    @SethDavis

Don't forget about the Minsc situation that I mentioned above!
    meagloth
    edited August 2012
    CamDawg said:

Sweet, this can also solve the mismatching HP drain issues for Larloch's and Vampiric Touch.

That could only be solved by a single vampiric opcode. Opponents should be able to damage you for more and gain exactly that HP.
    AndreaColombololien
    Confirmed Partially Fixed in Build 0813:

Berserkers can no longer commit suicide by raging at level 1 on higher difficulty levels. They take only 15 damage from the rage state ending regardless of the difficulty level.

@SethDavis
    You forgot to change Minsc's special Berserk too. He is still allowed to kill himself in Build 0813.
    meagloth
    edited August 2012
    I changed it, but I missed the script locking by about 5 minutes :(

Should get in next time

[NOTE] I don't know which ones were locked out, so please keep telling me when you find one
    I'm moving this one to Found and Fixed then so it gets re-tested in the next Build.
    SethDavismeagloth
    New flag set confirmed fixed for these spells:
    SPCL321
    SPIN117
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    I had to test this twice because I forgot to adjust difficulty first.
    Anyway.
    Both Minsc and generic berserker "p" survived an encounter with their animalistic nature.