Skip to content

Am I the only one that liked BG1 more than BG2?????????

2»

Comments

• TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I just love Baldur's Gate 1. I wouldn't want to repeat myself, or what others have said. I'll post my comment about all the IE games, which summarizes my opinion about them all:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/539804/#Comment_539804
    One thing that I would like to mention is the engine of BG2, which prevents me from playing BGEE. I don't like how the characters look and move (e.g. godawful two handed sword-knees to the ground-swing). Since the release of BGEE I've been waiting for a mod (similar to Infinity Animations) to change those animations. For now I will continue to venture through the Sword Coast, as it was in 1998.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    BG1 had to be amazing... Or BG2 would not have been made...

I too like the low level play, random wandering about, moving from open maps to crowded city scapes.

BG2 feels crowded. You start in a dungeon, then in a city. There is more undercover fighting, and running away is less of an option without going to another map (which can mean innocents getting immolated)

I like a bit a room, when I pop off a fireball or a skull trap.

But as for pacing? The gaps between levels mean that pacing in BG2 is not going to be that hard to achieve.

BG1 has awful pacing. NPCs can only be picked up at level 1, 4 or 6 for example. How many of us abandon Alora for instance, who can be 4 levels behind Imoen at this point in the game. But then, it does everything else pretty well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Anduin said:

BG1 has awful pacing. NPCs can only be picked up at level 1, 4 or 6 for example. How many of us abandon Alora for instance, who can be 4 levels behind Imoen at this point in the game. But then, it does everything else pretty well.

As much as I love BG1, I won't pretend that it's perfect - the placing of late-appearing NPCs like Alora and Tiax is indeed one of the standout flaws in the game.

However, the few flaws that BG1 has can usually be corrected by mods - for example, there are components of the NPC Project that relocate Alora to Gullykin and Tiax to Beregost, which makes them both much more viable (heck, it's actually convinced me that Tiax is one of the best NPCs in the game).

By contrast, the flaws in BG2 (i.e: its lineality and repetitiveness, its bias toward magic) are too ingrained and far-reaching to be corrected by any mods.