Skip to content

Items you would like to see...

13»

Comments

• TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    @tennisgolfboll‌
    I don't think it's possible to create misc. items with permanent on-equip properties.

Have you actually tested this, or were you just brainstorming an idea?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    DreadKhan said:

Nimran said:

DreadKhan said:

Yes @simples‌ on keldorns sword is an effect like that. A bashing smal shield (crushing damage) and a spiked buckler are things I like to do.

Ever try Gladius? There were shields that had negative effects if an enemy's attack was blocked by the shield... I remember a poison spiked shield and a razor edged shield that caused bleeding. ;)
    +1 for Gladius reference.
    I see you! *blasts with eye beam*

I have serious love for some features/options in that game, really loved abusing Cover Area. :D
    Archers were bosses in that game, especially with bears protecting them. All of my bears had Raging Bear on them. It was awesome, seeing an enemy attack my bears, then get mauled in the same turn by their counterattack.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Langston, the joinable Minotaur was incredible when you got him. Incredibly strong Heavy, though he will be solidly out tanked by the heavies with more equips. Still king of damage, but has a harder time very late vs tankier heavies. An early cyclops that doesnt cost me my Minotaur would have rocked, but alas, cyclops aren't available until they are pretty badly obsolete.

Imo, Gungnir's are better than Archers, due to their superb damage and the shapeshifting option.

Ultimately, I loved how big a range of tactics were available. Couldn't find any joinable Dark Legionaires, but everything else was hidden here and there. Some sucked, some rocked, some had crazy strategies available, like the Light or Heavy Berserker, the hefty Light Secutors, etc. Very cool game in many ways, would have been interesting to see it as an OLG, not because I like OLG, but because it had serious potential for PvP.
    edited October 2014
    DreadKhan said:

Langston, the joinable Minotaur was incredible when you got him. Incredibly strong Heavy, though he will be solidly out tanked by the heavies with more equips. Still king of damage, but has a harder time very late vs tankier heavies. An early cyclops that doesnt cost me my Minotaur would have rocked, but alas, cyclops aren't available until they are pretty badly obsolete.

Imo, Gungnir's are better than Archers, due to their superb damage and the shapeshifting option.

Ultimately, I loved how big a range of tactics were available. Couldn't find any joinable Dark Legionaires, but everything else was hidden here and there. Some sucked, some rocked, some had crazy strategies available, like the Light or Heavy Berserker, the hefty Light Secutors, etc. Very cool game in many ways, would have been interesting to see it as an OLG, not because I like OLG, but because it had serious potential for PvP.

Indeed, lots of potential tactical options in there. I loved scarabs with their ability to burrow and pop up almost anywhere on the map. Ultimate long range gladiator killer right there, as long as they have heavily armed and armored friends to handle the front line.

Back on topic though, a shield that slightly damages an attacker would be nice in BG and IWD without being too overpowered, I think.
    Well, a Scarab will get slowed down by a Gungnir's Bear Forms maybe. ;) some combos were pretty hard to pull off though, Upwards Slash was superbly powerful early, but I rarely could crit with it.

On topic, shields that can confuse briefly or blind might be neat too.

Still would love a Shapeshifter killing weapon for Clerics, maybe that cold iron flail from IWD could be ported? Might not be flagged cold iron, but iirc its description states that it is. Just googled to quickly verify, Misery's Herald is stated to be Cold Iron. And has both a cool pick, lore and should if flagged correctly damage Karoug.
    edited October 2014
    @Nimran, @DreadKhan‌
    Would you two mind telling the rest of us what game you're talking about?

It sounds very interesting.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Gladius, they said on the previous page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius_(video_game)
    edited October 2014
    Thanks, I just skimmed the thread, didn't see them mention it
    @TvrtkoSvrdlar‌ Gladius is an old (not as old as BG, but still...) console game that unfortunately never had a sequel, at least I don't think. You basically started a team of gladiators, called a school, and competed against other schools for fame and fortune. There was also a story, which was pretty basic, a 'save the world' kind of thing, but that really wasn't the focus of the game. The focus was in customizing your school with many different kinds of gladiators with a large variety of skills to upgrade them with as they become stronger. When each character levels up, they are given a number of skill points that you use to buy the skills you want them to learn. You can't get every skill, so choosing the ones that are important to your playstyle, and nothing more, was stressed. Some skills also cost more than others, so in order to get them you may have to save up skill points.

Combat was turn based, but the arenas were generally large, and the terrain was important. Standing on higher areas gave gladiators an advantage against opponents who stood below them. Also, attacking an opponent who was engaged with another of your gladiators gave a flanking bonus to the damage given. Gladiators were classified into weight classes, light, medium, or heavy, and the system worked like rock, paper, scissors. Light was outmatched by medium, which was outmatched by heavy, which was outmatched by light. The game also adds beasts and ranged support units, such as spellcasters and archers. Any type of gladiator was capable of being awesome, even bandits, though some are less awesome than others.

This isn't really the thread for a lengthy discussion, though, so I'll probably leave it at that.
    Some Arenas (the Pit iirc) were tiny, 2 vs 2 max, others were vast areas with different elevations offering 6 vs 6. The premise is that the 4 countries you're dealing with have all agreed that war is dumb and expensive, so they replaced it with non-lethal Gladiatorial matches. The story is basicly a vehicle for the gameplay, but it isnt actually bad. Its less ridiculous after the whole hippie thing, and not everyone buys into it, so it works better than it sounds.

The goal was to build a pretty balanced school, with some casters, some ranged, probably a few bears and big cats, some non-human humanoids, maybe a bug or 2... you get he picture. There were 3 main divisions of melee based gladiators, lights mediums and heavies. It was like rock paper scissors, in that each has a bonus vs one and penalty vs another. Some had an 'alternate form' that made them more versatile, such as the light berserker which can become a heavy duringna fight, when its convinient.

A really nifty aspect was that while most gladiators were humans, some non-humans were available. Most tend to be heavies, like Yetis, Minotaurs, Ogres and Cyclops, but there was also the hard-drinking Satyr and the really crummy Mongrel, which were lights. The Mongrel Shaman was a really awful choice for a caster, but it had a spell called Fungus Amongus. Which is still awesome. Each class had some unique features and abilities. Fun game, from Lucasarts iirc.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited October 2014
    STAND BACK, AND WATCH THIS

1-handed Javelins

Less damage- more Spartan