Skip to content

2E Tiefling or 4E Tiefling?

VitorVitor Member Posts: 288

Wich design do you prefere for tieflings? The original design from Planescape (2nd Edition), that remained until 3.5 edition, or the new look from 4th and 5th edition?
imageimage
  1. 2E Tiefling or 4E Tiefling?74 votes
    1. 2E Tiefling
      87.84%
    2. 4E Tiefling
      12.16%

Comments

• VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    @OlvynChuru‌, here are descriptions from each edition.

Planescape Campaign Setting (AD&D 2nd Edition)
    "Part human and part something else, tieflings are the orphans of the planes. They can be described as humans who’ve been plane-touched. A shadow of knife-edge in their face, a little too much fire in their eyes, a scent of ash in their presence - all these things and more describe a tiefling. No planar would mistake a tiefling for a human, and most primes make the mistake only once."

Races of Faerun (D&D 3.5)
    "Tieflings look human except for one or two distinguishing features related to their unusual ancestor. Some examples of these features (and the ancestors that cause them) are:

small horns on head (demon, devil, night hag)
    fangs or pointed teeth
    forked tongue (demon, devil)
    glowing red eyes (demon, devil, night hag)
    cat eyes (rakshasa)
    more or less than 5 fingers (demon, devil)
    goatlike legs (devil)
    hooves (devil)
    non-prehensile tail (demon, devil)
    furry, leathery, or scaly skin (demon, devil, rakshasa)
    red skin (demon, devil)
    bruised blue skin (night hag)
    casts no shadow (demon, devil)
    throws no reflection (demon, devil)
    skin is hot to the touch (demon, devil)
    smell of brimstone (demon, devil)"

Player's Handbook (4th Edition)
    "Tieflings’ appearance testifies to their infernal bloodline. They have large horns; thick, nonprehensile tails that range in length from 4 to 5 feet; sharply pointed teeth; and eyes that are solid orbs of black, red, white, silver, or gold. Their skin color covers the whole human range and also extends to reds, from a ruddy tan to a brick red. Their hair, cascading down from behind their horns, is as likely to be dark blue, red, or purple as more common human colors."
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited October 2014

Shouldn't all tieflings look a bit different depending on their heritage?

Yes, but it seems all of them could be confused with a half-elf, like Aasimars. All the drawings of Tieflings in Planescape had pointy ears. And there are tables in the Planeswalker's Handbook to randomize their subtles deformities. But in 4th edition they were padronized in this more devilish description.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited October 2014
    Ha, unanimous vote! At least, so far.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Planescape Tielfings, no contest!

The 4 edition ones are nothing but ugly Cambions on steriods to me.

Give us back the Tiefling's ancestral diversity, damnit WotC! D:
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    It's not even a choice. Like @Catoblepas said, 2nd Ed tieflings includes 4th Ed ones, as well as makes room for basically any kind of hellish heritage you can think of. Even if 3rd Ed standardized the bonuses a Tiefling gets (which is kind of funny since it's the opposite of the "more variety" direction they took the rest of the game in ;) ), they still allowed for the kind of great span of weirdness that one expects for a race drawing so heavily on folklore. Want a crow theme for your thief? Go ahead. A warrior that reeks of brimstone and constantly coughs out ashes? No problem, just don't name him Vulcan. Just want a seemingly normal human who walks with a weird limp because of his left leg ending in a hoof instead of a foot? Whether you want to base it on the common folklore stuff or something more fantastical - your imagination is the limit.

4th Ed threw away all those possibilities, and not only that, they settled on the most boring, overdone, and unsubtle action stereotype ever. They did the same with the elementally planetouched Genasi (except minus the "settling on a stereotype" thing). Want to play a mostly human person with a subtle trait or two revealing his ancestry? Nope, not any more! Subtlety is for suckers anyway!
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Never liked tieflings, and those 2nd ED ones look like goofy elves(I hate elves)... but I just can't bring myself to side with anything from 4th.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,734
    What a one-sided poll, this is!
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    5th Ed's biggest sin is not going back the 4th Ed Tieflings.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

LOL I'm the only one.

You're alright, man. Keep on being different.
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    I remember looking briefly at Neverwinter Online (...yeah, no) and thinking teiflings looked ridiculous. I liked the idea of all teiflings being unique and different, as there's all sorts of demons to "choose" from. They just seem to have much more personality to me.

That picture with the two white haired ones, especially the one on the left, is how I'd love to design a teifling of my own. S/he just looks completely lost in the blood taint, it's great.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Never liked tieflings, and those 2nd ED ones look like goofy elves(I hate elves)... but I just can't bring myself to side with anything from 4th.

This kind of bandwagon mentality baffles me. It's very indicative of the impression virtually every criticism leveled against 4E gives me, that of an utter lack of critical thought or reasoning.
    Archaos said:

In 4E all tieflings look the same as if they are a true race, being born from a family of tieflings in a town of tieflings, like elves.

Core 4E tieflings look the same as if they are a true race, being born from a family of tieflings in a town of tieflings, like elves, because in the Core setting THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED. The gist is that the aristocracy of Bael Turath, an ancient human empire, made a major pact with Asmodeus that was supposed to make their power eternal, but Asmodeus' trick was to literally make the power gained from the bargain itself, which transformed the aristocracy into tieflings, and not the power of the empire, eternal. Thus, tieflings breed true, even when mating with other humans.

No treatments of other settings in 4E, be it Forgotten Realms, Planescape, or Dark Sun, even mentions this, thus more or less allowing you to customize your tiefling as you will. Of course, it's not as if you couldn't do it in Core by simply flavoring your tiefling as another form of mixed demon/devil/mortal heritage. Like any other edition of D&D, the flavor is entirely flexible depending on the DM.
    meagloth said:

I like the 2e drawings a lot more. If your chainmail has sideboob then you're doing it wrong.

As if there aren't plenty of ridiculous drawings and designs in 2E and earlier.
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96
    edited October 2014
    @Schneidend‌

I think the important thing here is that pre-4e, Tieflings didn't necessarily 'breed true', and they weren't all (or even mostly) connected to Asmodeus. You could have a *rakshasa* descended Tiefling for crying out loud!

There were already subraces that filled the niche Tieflings were made to occupy in 4e in the way of Tannarukk and Fey'ri, so IMO they didn't really bring anything new to the table, but rather took away from the richness of it, by homogenizing Tieflings into fitting into one factory standard mold.

Besides, if one really, *really* wants to play a 4e-lookalike Tiefling...they already existed prior to 4e, because all of their traits (red skin, horns, tails, etc etc) existed among the traits that Tieflings could manifest.

@Schneidend‌

I think the important thing here is that pre-4e, Tieflings didn't necessarily 'breed true', and they weren't all (or even mostly) connected to Asmodeus. You could have a *rakshasa* descended Tiefling for crying out loud!

There were already subraces that filled the niche Tieflings were made to occupy in 4e in the way of Tannarukk and Fey'ri, so IMO they didn't really bring anything new to the table, but rather took away from the richness of it, by homogenizing Tieflings into fitting into one factory standard mold.

Besides, if one really, *really* wants to play a 4e-lookalike Tiefling...they already existed prior to 4e, because all of their traits (red skin, horns, tails, etc etc) existed among the traits that Tieflings could manifest.

It's just how the race is in the core 4E setting, which is mostly a loose collection of religions and city-states into which you can integrate, create, or leave out any details you like. And, as I said, the Turathi tieflings don't exclude the existence of other mixed-bloods in any way. There's also numerous feats that imply relation or affinity to particular, non-Asmodeus princes of Hell, so tieflings really aren't homogenized any more than 3E or 2E tieflings, who don't actually have alternate mixed traits without supplementary materials, either. It's been pointed out in another thread that the initial stats for tieflings were static, but optional rules were later introduced in other books to add the variety to which you're referring. 4E did much the same with later materials.

And, again, Turathi tieflings are not mentioned in FR, Dark Sun, or pseudo-Planescape materials, the three non-core settings that 4E primarily dealt with. If you don't like it, you can just not use it. In fact, Dark Sun didn't even have tieflings before 4E. 4E's Dark Sun guide gives a completely different series of ambiguous origin stories, because nobody in-universe knows for sure, for the tiefling race in order to allow players to use that race in Dark Sun.
    @‌Schneidend

Tieflings in 4e are de-facto homogenized in practice, by virtue of the Turathi types being virtually the only form of tiefling really referenced. I'd be impressed if you could find a picture of a 4e Tiefling that *wasn't* one of the spawn of Asmodeus. Neither the Player's Handbook Races supplement nor the Players handbook even reference non-infernal Tieflings.

Heck, even the Forgotten Realms players handbook says this about them: "Tieflings’ tails and horns,
    not to mention their reddish skin and sharp teeth, suggest evil progenitors." That line is literally all that the 4e FR player's Handbook has to say on the appearance of Tieflings. So it's pretty clear that the '4e' style Tiefling effectively sidelined the pre 4e tieflings, if they exist at all in 4e FR.

So no, non-Tulrathi style Tieflings are not really much of a thing in 4e. Outside of homebrewing things, which isn't really the point of this thread.

And no matter what layer of the hells you decide to tie your 4e Tiefling to, it's not going to give them fur, or antlers or feathers instead of hair or whatever-4e Tieflings have significantly fewer ways in which their heritage may manifest, no matter what way you cut it.
    @Catoblepas‌
    "If they exist at all in 4E FR..."
    So, because FR briefly refers to horns and tails, all novels and campaign modules with tieflings or half-fiends that don't fit the Turathi mold suddenly don't exist? That's what you're attempting to assert that the 4E FR handbook is putting forth? Never mind that Bael Turath has never existed in FR, and therefore the Turathi-style, true-breeding tieflings cannot exist in FR, even if that were the intent. The obvious intent would be to gloss over tieflings briefly and thus not shoehorn anything on the players aside from keeping the edition's materials at least vaguely consistent. Newcomers would find sudden references to other features confusing, and "tails and horns, [etc.]" could easily be read with a wink and a nudge by any veterans of D&D/FR who are just going to play as they see fit, anyway.

Non-Turathi tieflings are definitely a thing in 4E, especially given that it has both FR and pseudo-Planechase materials. There's no rule in those materials that say you have to be a Turathi-style tiefling, because Turathi-style tieflings depend on the existence of a Bael Turath. There's no reason to follow the Core lore regarding tieflings if you're not playing a Core-related campaign, in the same way that core 2E lore has little bearing on a 2E Dark Sun or Planescape game's lore beyond the barest of shared details.

If we applied your logic to other aspects of the game, we'd have to supersede 4E Core Bane or Corellon over FR Bane or Corellon because the books have more to say about the former.
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    edited October 2014
    The best tiefling is in 3E for me :)

This kind of bandwagon mentality baffles me. It's very indicative of the impression virtually every criticism leveled against 4E gives me, that of an utter lack of critical thought or reasoning.

I don't hate on 4th because it's trendy, I hate on 4th because it's crap. They're both piss-ugly races, so I'm just siding with the ugly I know. And those "new" tieflings looked better when they were called draenai.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070124023606/wowwiki/images/4/46/Draenei_female_uncorrupted.jpg
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Fourth edition all look like demons while Second edition has much more variety.
    @Schneidend‌

That blurb about tails, red skin etc is the *only* description that the FR players handbook gives.

Neither 4e player's handbook, the Players Handbook races supplement that deals *exclusively* with Tieflings, nor even the FR Players handbook contain any descriptions, rules, pictures, or even *reference* anything other than the stock 4e Tiefling.

As of Asmodeus's ascension, all Tieflings breed true in Forgotten Realms. That's canon (Brimstone Angels series).

So yes, the Turathi-styled Tieflings definitely seem designed to replace the older styles, even in FR. They have almost completely sidelined the old styled ones. I don't even know why this is open for debate, because all of this should be immediately evident to one who has cracked open a 4e book.

I have heard that backlash from this means that 5e Tieflings might be distinctly split into the 4e types and pre 4e types, treating them both more or less equally. So there's hope at least that the old ones might come back into prominence.

I don't hate on 4th because it's trendy, I hate on 4th because it's crap. They're both piss-ugly races, so I'm just siding with the ugly I know. And those "new" tieflings looked better when they were called draenai.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070124023606/wowwiki/images/4/46/Draenei_female_uncorrupted.jpg

The "ugly I know" is bandwagon mentality. You said yourself the 4E tieflings look better. You literally only voted 2E because your anti-4E bias somehow prevents you from admitting it has its merits.

@Schneidend‌

That blurb about tails, red skin etc is the *only* description that the FR players handbook gives.

Neither 4e player's handbook, the Players Handbook races supplement that deals *exclusively* with Tieflings, nor even the FR Players handbook contain any descriptions, rules, pictures, or even *reference* anything other than the stock 4e Tiefling.

As of Asmodeus's ascension, all Tieflings breed true in Forgotten Realms. That's canon (Brimstone Angels series).

So yes, the Turathi-styled Tieflings definitely seem designed to replace the older styles, even in FR. They have almost completely sidelined the old styled ones. I don't even know why this is open for debate, because all of this should be immediately evident to one who has cracked open a 4e book.

I have heard that backlash from this means that 5e Tieflings might be distinctly split into the 4e types and pre 4e types, treating them both more or less equally. So there's hope at least that the old ones might come back into prominence.

Literally none of that prevents somebody from playing non-Turathi. Any pushing of Turathi-tieflings is an obvious move for product consistency that in no way forces anything upon the player. Asmodeus becoming a god wouldn't somehow obliterate other kinds of tieflings. Even if it did, he's a devil, so his ascension would have ZERO effect on demon or daemon tieflings.

Player's Handbook is about Core 4E Tieflings. That's why its lore references Bael Turath, which again, DOES NOT EXIST IN FR.

There isn't a need for a table of randomized racial features, because that's simply not what races in general are supposed to do in 4E. The game doesn't have a balancing mechanism for characters with scales that give them natural armor bonuses or whatever sort of racial features you might want. That's what feats are for in 4E.

The "ugly I know" is bandwagon mentality. You said yourself the 4E tieflings look better. You literally only voted 2E because your anti-4E bias somehow prevents you from admitting it has its merits.

Sticking with what I've known for 20 odd years isn't jumping on a bandwagon... Yeah, I'm biased, but so is everyone. And I never said 4E tieflings looked better, I said dreanai looked better. It was a joke about how unoriginal 4E is.

To be honest, I probably shouldn't have voted at all, because I don't like either design. Maybe the poll needed a 3rd option called "They're both fugly!"
This discussion has been closed.