Skip to content

[Known, 9857] SONGLIST.2DA problems, battle music not stopping, missing music

switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
The problem was first spotted in BG:EE, but this report is a test case for BGII:EE. It is a continuation of this topic created in wrong forum section: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34913/the-battle-music#latest
Please read that topic if you find this post confusing.

Expected behavior: All music songs assigned in SONGLIST.2DA should work, day/night music should end combat ends.

Current behavior: Some slots in SONGLIST.2DA are broken. If the music track is assigned to broken slot the combat music continues until resting or leaving area (or if the combat music is also assigned to broken slot it won't start at all).

Let's test it on AR4000 in BG2:EE. In the attached file you will find:
- updated "songlist.2da" with additional BG:EE song entries from BG:EE
- music folder with 2 MUS files and corresponding directories with ACM files - "pday" and "fday"
- AR4000.ARE with following songs assigned: Day song: PDay - 136, Night song: FDay - 127, Victory song: BP2 - 57, Battle song: BP2 - 57, Defeat song: BP2 - 57 (as you can see I've changed Day and Night song entries to use BG:EE tracks)

Here is how it can be tested:
1. Download attached file and extract it to your BG2:EE directory
2. Start a new ToB game or teleport to AR4000 using clua console: CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("ar4000")
3. If it is a night time you will hear "FDay" song correctly - everything OK
4. Rest 12 hours. When it is a day time you won't be able to hear "PDay" song that is assigned to Day slot. For some reason it does not trigger at all.
5. Now let's test the battle music: CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("gnollsu")
6. At night time when the battle is over the music will be properly stopped, but if you killed the monster at day time the music won't stop because the engine refuse to start the "PDay" song as I mentioned above. The only way to fix it is saving + loading the game or resting.
7. Exit the game and open the SONGLIST.2DA and swap the music entries (assign Pday slot 127 and FDay to 136)
8. Do the whole test again with the modified SONGLIST.2DA file - as you can see this time Pday song will work fine and the FDay song will be broken - this is a proof that this is not a problem with MUS structure or ACM files, but the engine bug with reading from SONGLIST.2DA. Songs will not play at all if they are placed in broken slots and whenever the engine has problem with playing a Day/Night song it will also bug the battle music song when the battle is finished (unless the battle music is also assigned to broken slot - in such case it won't play at all). 2 problems in 1.

There are more broken music slots- this is just an example. The engine is definitely bugged and fixing the root of the cause, may as well fix the battle music problem reported by other players.
Post edited by Dee on
lolien

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited September 2014
    Out of curiosity, why do you have to use different music files? Wouldn't it work just as well with existing music files from BGII:EE?

EDIT: Confirmed, it works just as well using BG@Theme (THEME.mus) for both.
    lolien
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited September 2014
    the problem was spotted during my tests with a mod that adds these music tracks into BG2:EE, so I've made the test case using these files. This topic is almost a direct copy of the last one linked in the OP, so I've used the same files instead of rewriting the whole test procedure (which was preapared before it was clear that the problem lays in songlist.2da). But as you already mentioned you can assign vanilla BG2:EE songs to broken music slots and they won't work.
    lolien
  • ElfMageCalledItElfMageCalledIt Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2014
    I decided to start a new game of BG:EE (on the PC, Windows 7 Home) and am finding that once combat has ended, the music will not revert back to the normal 'ambient' music like it used (pre 1.3), instead it just constantly loops until you either re-load from a save point or move to a different map.

I checked the known issues for 1.3 and don't see this listed, is anyone else seeing this behavior? I am running Logitech G430 headset with the latest drivers. (Also attempted a reinstall of the driver software from the site and I still get looping combat music)

As a side note: I did find this post on the BG forums from a month ago (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34393/bg-ee-combat-music-wont-stop-when-battle-is-over) however it seems to be in the wrong category and perhaps didn't get visibility as a bug. (Which is why I am reposting here under 1.3 bugs)

Hopefully this can be fixed, thanks.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    It is logged as #9318 for BG:EE and #9857 for BGII:EE.
    Thanks
    lolien
  • AolnAoln Member Posts: 1
    Just chiming in here, I recently downloaded BG:EE on a new Mac Mini (OS 10.10) and started having this issue right away. I haven't gotten very far, but so far the combat music seems to persist after *every* encounter, regardless of map (Candlekeep Coastway, Coastway, Friendly Arm Inn all confirmed).

FWIW, I had this same problem in a Weidu game of BG in Windows 7, installed on my previous Mac (iMac 2011), although I don't remember it being as consistent (i.e., after every encounter). I have to say I was a bit surprised to see the same problem cropping up in a commercially released "enhanced" version of the game running in OS X.

This never happened in the original release of the game and it's pretty annoying. Saving & reloading works, but that's a lame solution for a commercial game. I hope it gets fixed soon!
  • oldman42oldman42 Member Posts: 27
    Confirming the problem, too. It happens on the first couple of maps (Gorion kill zone, Coastway, FAI). In other zones, music behaves. Even in Candlekeep prologue - no problem.
    Does someone has the neverending battle music on other maps than the ones mentioned above?

lolien