Skip to content

Cannot Start The Setup For Baldur's Gate 4 In 1 Pack (Windows XP Service Pack 3)

AndrasAndorilAndrasAndoril Member Posts: 3
Hello,

So I decided to install the 4 in 1 pack that includes Baldur's Gate I and II with their expansions via the DVD set I bought off a friend.

Now, I can't get it to open up the setup screen at all. I can get to the GUI load up screen where it gives you the option to "Setup" and "Demos" and stuff like that, but when I click on Setup, nothing happens.

All my drivers are updated since this is a pretty old setup and its not that new at all (built this computer about 8 years ago)

Specs: Athlon 3700+ single core, Sapphire Radeon X1650XT, 3 gigs ram.

Any ideas on what to do?

I actually was able to install this a year ago when I ... "went overseas on the mighty pirate ship lol" this game, and I was able to actually run the setup just fine via the ISO's but now that I have the actual DVD's, I'm bummed that I can't run the game and mod it via the EasyTUTU mod :(.

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Not sure you will get much help on the enhanced edition forums.

If you open the disk in Windows Explorer so you can see setup.exe, double clicking that should work. Not sure why the GUI setup button doesn't but I used to see the same on Windows Vista.
    ErgJuliusBorisov
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Gate70 said:

Not sure you will get much help on the enhanced edition forums.

You will probably not receive official help here, but individual users may be able to help. For example, I'm using EasyTutu myself.
    Gate70 said:

If you open the disk in Windows Explorer so you can see setup.exe, double clicking that should work.

That would be my guess too.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AndrasAndorilAndrasAndoril Member Posts: 3
    That's the thing, its the same thing as the auto-boot screen and I click on install, and it does nothing. Is this an XP Service Pack 3 specific issue?

I remember when I .... got this game in now ways of my own :D, it worked fine with the iso but now that I own the disc, I'm kind of sad it doesn't work.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    I don't think it is an XP Service Pack 3 specific issue. I remember being able to install the game without problems on that OS in the past.

Do you have administrator rights on the account you are using to install the game?

Are you sure you are double clicking on Setup.exe (once opened the disk in Windows Explorer) and not some other exe file (e.g. don't use Autorun.exe) ?

When you double click on Setup.exe, do you see the process in the Task Manager ?
  • AndrasAndorilAndrasAndoril Member Posts: 3
    Yeah that's the thing, it still hangs even when I open it up via the File Explorer (yes, I double clicked the setup.exe) and it still flashes that GUI and when I click on setup, nothing happens.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085

Yeah that's the thing, it still hangs even when I open it up via the File Explorer (yes, I double clicked the setup.exe) and it still flashes that GUI and when I click on setup, nothing happens.

If you've got the space, try to copy the entire contents of the DVD into a folder on your hard drive. You'll encounter copy errors if there is an issue with the DVD, such as a scratch where the setup.exe just happens to be stored. If you copy everything without issue, try running the setup.exe from the hard drive and see what happens.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Have you tried it in another computer? The install disc may be corrupt or damaged...

Moved the thread to Off-Topic.