Skip to content

Killing a Flaming Fist who is red still lowers your rep

Hi! Late stages of the game. Flaming Fist is after me and they are all red. However, when I kill them my rep goes down like hell. Is this a known bug? Is there any other way of getting around this other than just running away from them? /J

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    More than it not being a bug, it is an expected challenge of the game. You are supposed to be faced with the very real challenge of either avoiding them or killing one or more and ruining your reputation.

As @elminster indicates, try having one or more of your party invisible and scouting the area. Then avoid the Guards wherever you can. You can even run from them if you must. Also, consider that you are on the run from the police. Where might they not go to look for you? Consider that.
    atcDave
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    /J?

/Joke?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @scriver Signature?
    CrevsDaak
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Just in case the OP isn't joking, if the Flaming Fist in Chapter 7 are attacking you, either you resisted arrest or you escaped from prison unlawfully. In the eyes of those who think you are a villain, when you kill these officers you are choosing for "innocent" police officers to die so that you may live and presumably do more evil deeds. Also, I suspect that the Flaming Fist is composed mainly of trained Baldur's Gate citizens. Whenever you kill a Flaming Fist officer, a family in Baldur's Gate weeps (perhaps the family doesn't even have enough money to resurrect him).
    FinneousPJatcDave
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited October 2014
    @OlvynChuru‌ Only a very tiny minority of people in the setting would have the money. However, the economy in the game is pretty ridiculous. The salary for a militia man would probably be about 1 GP per year...

Edit: In DnD I mean, which is not reflected in game.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    You shouldn't lose so much rep for killing a mercenary, because that's all Flaming Fist are.

It's weird, killing one of them is considered worse than murdering an "innocent" child. Check the REPUTATI.2DA if you don't believe me.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited October 2014

You shouldn't lose so much rep for killing a mercenary, because that's all Flaming Fist are.

The Flaming Fist aren't mercenaries! They're the city's police force!

But seriously, have you ever charmed and talked to one of the Flaming Fist enforcers? They are so disciplined that they can overcome the effects of the charm. They are loyal to more than just coin.
    CrevsDaak

It's weird, killing one of them is considered worse than murdering an "innocent" child. Check the REPUTATI.2DA if you don't believe me.

Just goes to show that it isn't what you kill, but who you kill that matters. And it makes sense. The Fist are the ones most likely to be able to perpetrate the proliferation of the reputation hit precisely because they are "acting" as the law in the region. You killed one of their own. They can vilify you any way they want, and they have the resources to make it stick.
    TheGraveDiggerSyntia13CrevsDaakatcDave
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    edited October 2014
    @OlvynChuru‌
    But can people lie while charmed? Because I charmed the one that hunts Viconia recently, and he said he really is hunting a drow murderer... Maybe Viconia really did it? but that's a question for another thread...

@the_spyder‌
    That's a good point...
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    edited October 2014

@OlvynChuru‌
    But can people lie while charmed? Because I charmed the one that hunts Viconia recently, and he said he really is hunting a drow murderer... Maybe Viconia really did it? but that's a question for another thread...

Have you tried charming Viconia to see what she says?

Also, I've often suspected that Viconia really did kill someone, but it may not have been "murder" in the legal sense - i.e: it may have been self-defense (notice Viconia doesn't actually deny killing anyone, she just says, "I've done nothing wrong" - meaning that perhaps the killing, if there was one, was justified).

But yes, topic for another thread!
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

@OlvynChuru‌

Have you tried charming Viconia to see what she says?

Also, I've often suspected that Viconia really did kill someone, but it may not have been "murder" in the legal sense - i.e: it may have been self-defense (notice Viconia doesn't actually deny killing anyone, she just says, "I've done nothing wrong" - meaning that perhaps the killing, if there was one, was justified).

But yes, topic for another thread!
    Why not discuss it here, what are you trying to hide?

kidding...
    jackjack
    edited October 2014

@OlvynChuru‌

Who says he is lying? He may very well be hunting a murderer that he THINKS is a Drow. Being Charmed only means that he will tell the truth "To the best of his abilities". If what he knows to be 'True' is a lie, he'll report it as the truth. Unless his name is Prak.
    jackjack
  • OnoxOnox Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2014
    There's a trick I like to use against the Flaming Fist guys in the endgame. Try to memorize as many Feeblemind spells as you can, and then lure the Flaming Fist soldiers into corners or behind houses and cast that spell on them. They won't be able to attack anymore, and you will not lose rep. However, this makes them stand rooted to the spot forever. Even if you leave the area and come back later, they will still be there. That's why I do it behind houses or in places I won't go anymore (otherwise it's annoying because I use auto-pause on enemy sight) ^^
    JuliusBorisov
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I never had any problem avoiding the FF in the old version. Did they make this more difficult in the EE?
    I would suspect that the OP simply needs to apply some lateral thinking to the situation, and quite probably has done so by now. It's one of those situations that it is easy to miss the obvious solution.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    It's part of the story yeah - the only sad part is when you forget to turn off the companion AI and your ultra-cavalier turns a poor fisty into meaty bits while he was waiting on his buddies to meet him at the exit to an area.

The only thing that's MAJORLY different between the original and EE - is that because EE is using BG2's engine the FF can actually *follow* you into buildings - so the old "I need to do x - good thing he cant chase me into this building" On the bright side, if you do really need to go in somewhere, it doesn't seem like the NPCs inside react to a SWAT team breaking down the door after you walk in lol.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Gallenger said:

It's part of the story yeah - the only sad part is when you forget to turn off the companion AI and your ultra-cavalier turns a poor fisty into meaty bits while he was waiting on his buddies to meet him at the exit to an area.

The only thing that's MAJORLY different between the original and EE - is that because EE is using BG2's engine the FF can actually *follow* you into buildings - so the old "I need to do x - good thing he cant chase me into this building" On the bright side, if you do really need to go in somewhere, it doesn't seem like the NPCs inside react to a SWAT team breaking down the door after you walk in lol.

They're used to it. The Fist is always breaking doors down, even to find a lost cat.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited October 2014
    As with all problems in life this one can be solved with a little toy I call the staff of paralysis. Simply blast any offending overbearing officer and carry on with your day.

available now at sorcerous sundries!! tell them I sent you and receive a bonafide spell scroll completely fee!!
    Lateralus
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The 1st level cleric spell Command shuts them down for 1 round, which should be enough to run like a scared Khalid caught cheating by his lovely, understanding wife.
    Qwazi
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Gallenger said:

Yup, and then just have everybody punch the merc until he is knocked out. May as well knock out and rob the home owner while you're at it. Because you know, free stuff is always nice. Then just leve everybody in there while they are unconscious and walk outside a new charnam.
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    The sewers are an excellent way to get around the city unnoticed...
    ShikaoJuliusBorisovjackjackatcDave
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Mercenaries hired to enforce the law, and who are just doing their jobs chasing a wanted criminal. Public perception paints you as the bad guy, and Reputation is all about public perception.
    ArchaosatcDavejackjack
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    People don't usually think well of cop-killers. Just saying.
    WilburjackjackatcDaveShikao
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Jarrakul said:

People don't usually think well of cop-killers. Just saying.

It's just one of those things. Go figure.