Skip to content

Where are people that play baldurs gate mostly from.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Sweden
  • KaraiskandarKaraiskandar Member Posts: 9
    France !
  • BenNBenN Member Posts: 27
    A Brit, in Japan. Do I get two votes? ;-)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

There are more people in Europe than in North America, why should it be surprising?

I would say because it is a 11+ year old Canadian video game series. I'm not sure how much of its total sales were in non-English versions, but I mean basically aren't there more English speakers in North America than in Europe?
  • cutlasskiwicutlasskiwi Member Posts: 35
    elminster said:

There are more people in Europe than in North America, why should it be surprising?

I would say because it is a 11+ year old Canadian video game series. I'm not sure how much of its total sales were in non-English versions, but I mean basically aren't there more English speakers in North America than in Europe?
    It's often rated the best RPG series ever made so I'm not surprised that there are fans all over the world. :) Besides Europe is a big place with a lot of people. And remember that in a lot of countries they start teaching children English at an early age. :)
    MoiraCrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2012

elminster said:

It's often rated the best RPG series ever made so I'm not surprised that there are fans all over the world. :) Besides Europe is a big place with a lot of people. And remember that in a lot of countries they start teaching children English at an early age. :)
    Fair enough. Perhaps it is the case that people in the age group that play BG (18-35 I gather would generally the age group playing BG) are more likely to know English than their parents, especially in Eastern Europe. So the stats I was able to get on the number of English speakers in Europe isn't reflective of the realities when considering this particular game. No clue, it still is kind of weird that there are 2.5x the number of votes than North America but whatevs.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @elminster I'd agree that's a fair assumption, but i'd be interested in knowing the answer.
  • yazgangyazgang Member Posts: 41
    Türkiye!
    Fredjo
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    edited August 2012
    @elminster the games were localized in a couple languages too (voice-overs included). I originally played them all in french but now I prefer the english versions.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    How come no one in my country (Chile) likes this game! They're making me feel like a hipster.
    CheOffshoreMedullaOblongataFredjoCrevsDaak
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    GB, UK, England, whatever the rest of the world wants to call it...
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Real lack of audience in Asia though...
    @LordsDarkKnight185
    Most were really faithful to the originals. Especially Minsc IMO. I've never really played Edwin so I couldn't tell.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    lansounet said:

@LordsDarkKnight185
    Most were really faithful to the originals. Especially Minsc IMO. I've never really played Edwin so I couldn't tell.

Now i must search for french minsc!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I was far from expecting an absolute domination from Europe. 61%, that's insanity D:

Seems like the continent of old still has some old scholars? ;) (says the guy with a monocle and top hat boovatar)
    AtlanticMedullaOblongata
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217

Real lack of audience in Asia though...

Maybe they like jrpgs?
    CrevsDaak
    I believe the most european fans are from eastern europe for some reason.
    LadyEibhilinRhett
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    California girl!

On another note, I will make my British husband play this game, so that will be one more for Europe. At some point.
    Moomintroll
  • FinellachFinellach Member Posts: 36
    Croatia ;)
  • katastrophekatastrophe Member Posts: 404
    British Columbia, Canada.
    Home to the PNE...ugh.
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Poland here :) great 61% for Europe
  • NimzNimz Member Posts: 44
    United Kingdom
  • johnnydgoodjohnnydgood Member Posts: 38
    The Netherlands
    CCarluNN
  • AtlanticAtlantic Member Posts: 44
    Wow there are a lot of Brits on here... we really are a nostalgic nation :)
  • AtianAtian Member Posts: 32
    Nother from Finland here.
    raywindlelag200
  • BattleDimBattleDim Member Posts: 55
    France
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    So Europe has the biggest amount of bg nerds i would have never guessed that.
    Fake_SketchAedan
  • AvengerLynxAvengerLynx Member Posts: 24
    England, UK for me :D
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Italy. But I'm also Uruguayan and Brazilian. And I live in Qatar.

PS: who voted for Antarctica?
    CrevsDaak