Skip to content

Was I just a victim of malpractice by this physical therapist?

LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
So about an hour ago this PT guy (Mike) may have messed up my elbow, which I had no prior problems with it and had nothing to do with my accident or script.

A few weeks ago I was hit from behind while stopped at a red light. Back is messed up a little but what really worries me is my right hand; it feels like it is asleep sometimes or holding a hot or cold beverage when I am not. I did not injure my right arm at all, or ever for that matter.

So I have been getting PT as per my workman's comp doctors instructions for a couple weeks and everything is normal, the results are pretty good. Until today, he takes my right arm while I am laying on my back and says something like, "I am going to try something new, and it's going to feel a little weird, sometimes when you injure the elbow it can cause nerve pain..." I said, "That's my good elbow, I don't remember ever hurting it.". He's like, "If you allow me to I'd like to try and see if this helps." So I'm like, "..whatever..". Then he really bends my elbow the wrong way twice, like really hard. I said, "I didn't like that, at all." And he's all, "feels weird, right?".

Now, I'm not in any serious pain from that, but it just happened two hours ago. There is a little bit of a pop sound in my elbow that I don't recall having before and it's a little tender to the touch. Why the hell was he messing with the elbow when I did not hurt it AT ALL and it's not at all on the script? Was that malpractice? What should I do if this gets worse?

When I got home I called my comp rep and told her I want to change PTs and so I did, and she cancelled my apts with Mike for next week and set me up with a new one.

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    eh, bodies come and bodies go. Take it from a... me. Regardless i know a good cleric/necromancer if you need a reference. PM me :P
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited October 2014
    Not a doctor

But if it was your right elbow and you are losing sensation in your right hand, there are nerves that are connected from tour hand to elbow (funny bone) and he might of suspected those being maligned or something.

Not a doctor

Give it a day or two and bring it up with a doctor to see if it is serious or not.
    Lateralus
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    If it still hurts after a few days take it to a doctor.
    As it is the internet it is incredibly hard/impossible to know what you are talking about - even for a good doctor (Im not a doctor). Things *do* tend to get overblown :P
    meaglothLateralus