Skip to content

The new kits - ask away (spoilers)

Comments

• WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    edited October 2014
    shawne said:

Well, hopefully some day new kits = Viconia.

Very true, hopefully all NPCs could get kits that are appropriate for them. That however is another thread.

Besides the new abilities stated above, do the new kits have different spell progression, hit points per level, THAC0 progression, spell book changes, max weapon proficiencies, (like Tempus able to put two ** in a slot.) etc, etc?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    ajwz said:

Viconia doesn't need a new kit

It would be just as appropriate to kit her as a Priest of Shar as it would be to kit Branwen as a Battleguard of Tempus - that's just matching the NPC to the lore.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    nope, Viconia is not a typical priestess of shar
    Ah ok. Well thanks for the answers and thanks for the AMA about the kits.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    We need no stinking kits, old or new. Plain Jane classes is just fine. ;)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2014
    CamDawg said:

Fardragon said:

Cause Blindness? Summon Shadow? Innate Detect Illusion? Immunity to anti-magic zones (Shadow Weave)?

Again, for what I consider 'baseline' content, I want the new kits to blend in seamlessly with the existing ones. Blindness or Confusion would both work as the 1/5; innate thieving abilities or immunities don't really match the other clerical kits. If you want a larger departure, Divine Remix or any number of mods can provide it.
    You could do Detect Illusion as a power rather than a a thief skill. True Seeing, basically.

Although I don't see why cleric kits should all have to stick to the same format when none of the other class kits do.
  • nbnmarenbnmare Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2014

Ah, I had never seen F&A, I guess it was 2e after all. Perhaps one of those "2.5e" late-90s additions?

F&A was actually released just under two months after Warriors & Priests of the Realms (26th March '96 vs. 6th February '96).
    DreadKhan said:

Afaik, truly open conflict with Shar's followers is rare outside her rivalry with Selune.

That's true during the time periods the Infinity Engine games take place, but once the city of Shade reappears (3 years after ToB ends) it's no longer the case. Shar and her followers have quite a prominent role in some of the FR novels released over the past few years, particularly the Twilight War Trilogy and the recent Sundering series. The Elminster entry in the series, The Herald, features an attack on Myth Drannor (re-inhabited some time ago in the novels) by Shar-worshiping shades and their mercenary army, with a battle which carries on throughout at least two thirds of the story. I'd highly recommend this book for BG fans, especially since it also features a visit to Candlekeep.
    edited October 2014

Then why have an EE? That's like cutting the content in 1/3.
    (ok, ok, mods can fix every problem. inb4that)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Wiggles said:

Then why have an EE? That's like cutting the content in 1/3.
    (ok, ok, mods can fix every problem. inb4that)
    seriously. I agree with him and that's the conclusion I came to
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    I think according to D&D lore, the proper name for the Tyr Priest is Justicar of Tyr
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Fardragon said:

CamDawg said:

Fardragon said:

Cause Blindness? Summon Shadow? Innate Detect Illusion? Immunity to anti-magic zones (Shadow Weave)?

Again, for what I consider 'baseline' content, I want the new kits to blend in seamlessly with the existing ones. Blindness or Confusion would both work as the 1/5; innate thieving abilities or immunities don't really match the other clerical kits. If you want a larger departure, Divine Remix or any number of mods can provide it.
    You could do Detect Illusion as a power rather than a a thief skill. True Seeing, basically.

Although I don't see why cleric kits should all have to stick to the same format when none of the other class kits do.
    all three existing ones are in the same format and existing kits for other classes aren't so it's a consequent thing to do
    I would suggest that the reason the original cleric kits are so formulaic was because the original BG2 developers where short of time and/or ideas.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    nbnmare said:

Ah, I had never seen F&A, I guess it was 2e after all. Perhaps one of those "2.5e" late-90s additions?

F&A was actually released just under two months after Warriors & Priests of the Realms (26th March '96 vs. 6th February '96).
    DreadKhan said:

Afaik, truly open conflict with Shar's followers is rare outside her rivalry with Selune.

That's true during the time periods the Infinity Engine games take place, but once the city of Shade reappears (3 years after ToB ends) it's no longer the case. Shar and her followers have quite a prominent role in some of the FR novels released over the past few years, particularly the Twilight War Trilogy and the recent Sundering series. The Elminster entry in the series, The Herald, features an attack on Myth Drannor (re-inhabited some time ago in the novels) by Shar-worshiping shades and their mercenary army, with a battle which carries on throughout at least two thirds of the story. I'd highly recommend this book for BG fans, especially since it also features a visit to Candlekeep.
    Well, I suppose I haven't been following FR post Grand History. ;) Admittedly, the Shades do have open actions in a few circumstances, but in 3.x they were still pretty cautious. They probably werent aware they could conquer practically anything, having an army of mid-level fighter/mages and of course many extremely powerful casters. Ancient enemies of Netheril aside I suppose.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Gives new options to pure Priests. Interesting concept with the Tempus kit.
    I myself never picked any of the Priest kits since they rarely justify not choosing multi-classing.
    tempus is good for early dualling to mage.
    bob_veng said:

Does Holy Power use Mage level for duration then?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    DreadKhan said:

The amount of people seeking to worship evil deities on this forum is kind of disturbing to my demeanor...

Join the Dark Side. We've got cookies... And a big honking planet killing Space Station.
    Pro Tip: Don't be a Tie Fighter pilot... yeah, the retirement package is great, but the stringent 'survive to retirement' clause is a trap.
    Also decline any custodial staff jobs on major imperial ships, stations, and instalations . You are bound to have to clean up after storm troopers get slaughtered and there is always the risk of you dying from a rebel attack (death star explosion )
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197

We have Monks, Barbarians and Sorcerers running around in a 2E ruleset game - I don't think ruleset is a valid excuse here.

Monks and Barbarians are not unfamiliar sights to 2nd edition AD&D. And Sorcerers, as they exist in BG/BG2/IWDEE, are just a differently-flavored wizard.
  • JigawattsJigawatts Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2014
    You need a 2nd evil kit as well to round things out......BANE, DO BANE!!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAANE

(this message has been brought to you by your friendly local Zhentarim)
    Post edited by Jigawatts on
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    DreadKhan said:

The amount of people seeking to worship evil deities on this forum is kind of disturbing to my demeanor...

Join the Dark Side. We've got cookies... And a big honking planet killing Space Station.
    Pro Tip: Don't be a Tie Fighter pilot... yeah, the retirement package is great, but the stringent 'survive to retirement' clause is a trap.
    Thanks, admiral Ackbar. Late on the warning, as usual...
    Fardragon said:

bob_veng said:

Does Holy Power use Mage level for duration then?
    it doesn't unfortunately. but it lasts 6 rounds which is the duration of an average fight anyway :)
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Hmmm... I wonder if the Divine Favor ability Priests of Tyr have can stack with the "Cause wounds" spells? In theory it should if the timing of casting is fast enough; Divine Favor lasts 2 rounds, and Cause wounds is instantaneous.... might have to actually make one just to test it.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited November 2014
    There is no tooltip for Exaltation on the char creation screen. Had to search in manual to find out what does it actually do. Had a Priest of Tyr, never used that ability, and already finished the game. I blame not knowing. :D