Skip to content

[Fixed][Mac][GoG] Great game...but where is the music?

Comments

• alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    It's difficult to assess because I haven't played the original game. I don't know where the music is supposed to be, or what it's supposed to be like. I'm running a Macbook Air, bought about 2 years ago, and the only thing I've changed is the cheats line in the Baldurs.ini.

However, I restarted the whole program and loaded up a save. Now I'm hearing the battle music (and other music), so I guess it must be a glitch. I can confirm that I was originally hearing no battle music.
  • GomzoidGomzoid Member Posts: 21
    Cerevant said:

To anyone seeing this issue:

1) Any Mods?
    2) Any unusual media applications / editing software? e.g. video players, sound editors, codec packs, etc.

Thanks!

No mods or codec packs. I have VLC 1.1.12 installed as a media player, but it's not running when I'm playing IWD:EE. (FWIW, I have a Wineskin version of the original IWD on the same machine, and the music plays as expected).
  • akakakak Member Posts: 8
    Gomzoid said:

Cerevant said:

To anyone seeing this issue:

1) Any Mods?
    2) Any unusual media applications / editing software? e.g. video players, sound editors, codec packs, etc.

Thanks!

No mods or codec packs. I have VLC 1.1.12 installed as a media player, but it's not running when I'm playing IWD:EE. (FWIW, I have a Wineskin version of the original IWD on the same machine, and the music plays as expected).
    The same on my end.
  • ArdentArdent Member Posts: 22
    Same thing on my mac running Yosemite. Quite annoying, since the music was a very integral part of the game experience. I really hope there will be a fix for it but for now it's back to the wineskin original (which behaves indeed correctly). *sigh*
    Gomzoid
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    From everything I've read here so far, it seems that if you have the music bug, you will not hear any music on the startup screen. That might be the fastest way to troubleshoot and test, since the in game music is somewhat sparse.

Alternatively, the combat music inside the barrows of the Vale of Shadows is playing very reliably for me on my PC, and also, there has always been combat music when you fight shades outside the barrows. So, creating a save in the Vale of Shadows could give a fast reference point to test whether the music is playing as intended.
    Gate70CrevsDaak
    I know the music of IWD in and out. ;) I know it's not looping – but it usually plays sooner or later. For example, the Easthaven theme plays when you first exit the tavern. But it isn't. There simply is no music in the game at all. Neither in the menus, nor in Easthaven, the temple, Hrothgar's home or anywhere else in the first chapter. But there should be – after a while, at least.

The strangest part is, that it played at first launch. Went through the intro video and landed on the intro menu with the IWD theme playing as expected. After that, I quit the game (because I had no time to play at that moment). When I got back, the music was gone.

Is this a recognized bug? I was really, really, waiting for IWDEE, but I can't bring myself to play it in silence mode.
    Gomzoid
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Let me emphasize @BelgarathMTH 's point: If you are adding a "me too" to this thread, please do the following:

1) Confirm that there is no music on the opening screen when you first start the game
    2) Post your Hardware Specs and OS Version

Unfortunatley, we've been unable to reproduce this with identical HW & OS as problematic systems so far, so also post anything unusual about your configuration: software, external HW, etc.

Thanks!
    CrevsDaak
  • Huntmaster77Huntmaster77 Member Posts: 3
    I'm also experiencing this issue. No music on game startup, or in game. Other sounds like button clicks and voices are fine, but no music.

System: 2013 mac pro 6 core, firepro d500 video, whatever the built in sound is.
    Other relevant info: system is literally only a couple of weeks old. Have very little additional software installed. Chrome, VLC, Pidgin,BGee, and BG2:ee

I booted into windows and downloaded it and it works fine and music plays on the same system in windows. I also installed the wine/gog.com version of original IWD and the music plays there too. I have both bg:ee and bg2:ee and the music plays normally in those games too.

I can confirm that I had and have no music on the opening screen. As for the external HW & software I don't know how it can affect music by itself since I can hear all SFX... But I'd rather see that bug fixed so I'm on 2.5 i7 MacBook Pro (17-inch late 2011), 16GB of RAM. I don't have any additional external HW. I have Adobe CC suite and Avid Media Composer installed. It didn't mess, ever, with any game but well...
    edited November 2014
    System: 2010 27" iMac, 3,2 GHz i3, 8 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB, running OSX 10.10 Yosemite.
    No third-party audio hardware (speakers aside) nor any software that should logically interfere with sound playback in any way.
    The only third-party HW is a trackball and an external backup HD (FireWire).

Every other game (including BGEE and BG2EE) or sound playing application works fine.

There is no music in the opening screen, menus or in the game.
    Sound effects and ambient sounds work fine, though.

Did an edit on the .ini file but the problem persisted after reinstalling the game and rebuilding the file.
    I'm also using custom portraits, but removing or adding these makes no difference (which would have been weird anyway, I guess).
  • OHBornRockerOHBornRocker Member Posts: 9
    Same bug.

System: Late 2012 13" MacbookPro running OS X 10.10 Yosemite
    No 3rd party audio hardware installed

No music on opening screen, menus or in game
    All other sounds (battle, ambient, etc) working fine
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    I assume this is consistent (i.e. you open IWD:EE 5 times and all 5 times you get no sound)?

I'm going to ask a stupid question of all of you with the bug: have any of you tried rebooting your MAC's? Yea, I know, shouldn't have to, that's a PC fix, but I'm trying to make sure.

Reboot the mac, load IWD:EE ONLY. Please also list any software that is starting up prior to IWD:EE start (anything auto-starting with your OS).

As far as I can tell here this is ONLY happening on MAC? I have a 2007 MBP I have been testing with, but I have not seen this issue on that system...that said I'm also running 10.6 or 10.7 I think and the hardware is significantly older than what most are reporting here as having an issue.
    CrevsDaak
    I can confirm that it's consistent and that rebooting the computer doesn't fix it. Dropbox is my only startup item on top of a vanilla system install.
    edited November 2014
    Tried that too, reboot didn't fix it. Dropbox is my only non-apple startup item too.
    Extension-wise there is Little Snitch, the Logitech driver, DivX, Flash Player, TechTool Protection and VLC Streamer.

I wonder if this problem only presents itself under OSX Yosemite.
    edited November 2014
    - nevermind -
    Post edited by Cerevant on
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    & could someone with this issue try the attached save.
    - Go up the stairs.
    - Advise whether the music plays in the Astrolabe (lasts about 30 seconds).

Thanks
    @Cerevant Installing Perian didn't fix the issue
    @Gate70 No music playing on entering the Astrolabe
    Perian is an ancient third-party QT component most definitely not compatible with Yosemite (stopped working under 10.9, Mavericks). I really wouldn't recommend installing this under 10.10. Since 10.9. Perian seems to run only in conjunction with the QT Player app or not at all.

Tried the save file: No music in the Astrolabe. :(
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    OK, thank you both for trying. We'll keep you posted of progress.
    Cheers
    ArdentCrevsDaak
  • alderich123alderich123 Member Posts: 14
    I'm also having the same issue with a 2013 Macbook Pro (i7 with 15" retina display). I open up the game and there is no music in the menus. The only time I've heard music is during battle in the Vale. I haven't messed with anything in my .ini file either.

If it's useful I downloaded the game from GoG...I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
    hook71
    Thanks for the info! There is no difference in the GoG version of the game.
    OK. Just to be sure, my version is from GOG too.
    hook71
    Interesting. There *shouldn't* be a difference - can I get a survey of folks with the issue of where they bought the game from?
    GOG here too.
    Also tried reboot, reinstall, Perian and Astrolab save- no joy.

Also a GoG purchase.

Thank you sincerely for your continued assistance in trying to find a solution, very much appreciated.
    Ok, that does look suspicious. Could one of you check the following:

1) Right-click on the Icewind Dale app and choose "Show Contents"
    2) Navigate to Contents, Resources, Music
    3) Check if the file "theme.mus" exists
    4) In the theme folder, check if themea.acm, themeb.acm, themec.acm, themed.acm

(these are the files that make up the music for the starting screen)
    This is interesting, there is no music folder period.

Folders within contents: CodeSignature, Documents, Mac OS, Resources.

Nothing for music.
    Additionally, if it is of any use, none of these sub folders contain a folder for music either.
  • alderich123alderich123 Member Posts: 14
    That was one of the first places I looked, thinking music might be there. But yes, as the others say: no music folder. Here's what mine looks like.
    There is music folder if you go Contents/Resources/game/IcewindDale (show contents on that as well)/Resources/Music.