Skip to content

Stats Total on Character Creation Screen

2»

Comments

• HvitrEbrithilHvitrEbrithil Member Posts: 36
    This would angry me greatly, I LOVE rolling for stats, setting all to 10 just to see how much I have total, it was some of the most fun I have ever had with BG2 actually.. So I hope they keep it that way. Otherwise, there will be a duct-tape over the number on my screen!
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @HvitrEbrithil
    At best I would opt for an option to toggle this on or off in the settings - appreciate fully not all would want this.
    HvitrEbrithil
  • HvitrEbrithilHvitrEbrithil Member Posts: 36
    But then again.. That would be unfair to us who would want it the old way. Because someone might get their dreamstats in like 20mins, while we would be working for 5-6 hours for the same results.. I agree it's an unfairness we impose on ourselves, but still. It would be aggravating to hear that a friend managed perfect stats in 20-40 mins and I spent 5 hours on it.
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2012
    I can see pros and cons for both ways but sitting for however long you can stand rerolling does have a certain charm to it. Did it today for 30 minutes and managed to get a 95, after adjustments split for a Paladin (18/96-18-18-5-18-18) - best I've ever got! Yes, I know she's a bit of a thicky and she won't be going anywhere near a mindflayer, that's for sure!
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited August 2012

It would be aggravating to hear that a friend managed perfect stats in 20-40 mins and I spent 5 hours on it.

Heh. Friend of my brother experienced this; he'd been rolling for about 2 hours and finally got a roll of 38 (this is when all stats are set to an average of 10 before counting) and was the happiest person on earth... then my brother opened the char editor to make his char and got 42 on the third roll. There was much swearing to be heard.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    I think my record of rolling is 104 total. It was a ranger, and it was modified to 18/00-18-18-14-18-18. This is not a joke.

During my first few years of University, I had a long distance gf and did the whole four hour long distance phone call thing for a while. I couldn't do anything too mentally taxing while on the phone with her...otherwise she'd notice I wasn't listening (lol)...so I just rolled characters. Over and over. This amounted to literally hundreds of hours of rolling.

I've never topped this character. In fact, I don't think I even played him for more than a few hours. But rolling him up felt like hitting a million dollar royal flush.
    Post edited by Silence on
    HvitrEbrithil
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    Silence said:

I think my record of rolling is 104 total. It was a ranger, and it was modified to 18/00-18-18-14-18-18. This is not a joke.

During my first few years of University, I had a long distance gf and did the whole four hour long distance phone call thing for a while. I couldn't do anything too mentally taxing while on the phone with her...otherwise she'd notice I wasn't listening (lol)...so I just rolled characters. Over and over. This amount to literally hundreds of hours of rolling.

I've never topped this character. In fact, I don't think I even played him for more than a few hours. But rolling him up felt like hitting a million dollar royal flush.

Not sure what I'm more amazed about - the four hour phone calls or the 105 you rolled! lol
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    Dislike this. Having this feature would make it to easy to get the stats you desire, just add the stats up in your head and hope for a good roll :P Be patient and don't rush the process, it's what makes your character unique.
    HvitrEbrithil
    @kiros
    Not sure how it would make it easier. You still have to get the roll in the first place - it would simply present the info in a different manner. As mentioned already I appreciate not everyone would want this though which is why at best it would be a toggle option.
    @decado
    I'm sure with this feature implemented you would just get people trying to speed roll their characters into perfection. Also, seeing a (you have just rolled X amount of stat points) on the screen would kinda kill my childhood memories of endlessly hitting that reroll button ;)
    HvitrEbrithil
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    kiros said:

@decado
    I'm sure with this feature implemented you would just get people trying to speed roll their characters into perfection.

You can already recognize a extremely high roll in a fraction of a second.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    I think it's one thing to abuse a faulty system but it's another thing to ask the developers to make it easier to abuse by saving us the time of doing a little math. I say: leave the stat rolling as is.

Then you have stuff that is intentionally abusive. A lot of fighting games are this way.
    sarevok57
  • NancyButtpeachNancyButtpeach Member Posts: 38
    This would be a great feature :-)
    Xmord
    edited August 2012
    Aliteri said:

kiros said:
    You can already recognize a extremely high roll in a fraction of a second.
    Actually it depends on the individual and how fast your spamming that "re roll" button.
    I think it's perfect the way it is, and it wouldn't surprise me if Bioware left out such a feature to begin with so that players have diligence and patience at crafting their characters.

HvitrEbrithil
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Good idea.
    Easy and simple.
    Xmord
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    for all of us power rollers out there, do you know what we can do? just accept the first roll that comes our way, i've done that a couple of times, and oh boy that can hurt, but it makes it fun when you are as weak and pitily as the other npcs :)
    Xmord
    @Aliteri
    Agreed - it's more the very similar rolls that are out by one or two points which this would help with most of all.

I like the rolling as well and as mentioned have my own system of totalling point spreads. However to be fair I would like to be able to get into and start enjoying my character a bit quicker without quite as much in the way of reallocating stat points which end up being very similar dozens upon dozens upon dozens of times.

It's not the chance of getting a good set of stats per roll I would want to cut down, more this reallocation of stats points which has to be done over and over.
    Xmord
    edited August 2012
    Honestly, I really only think this feature would help those who are prepared to roll for hours upon hours on end.. I spend max 20-40 minutes trying to get a semi decent roll to fit my character, it's never perfect but it makes my character feel unique and I'm happy with that.
    If you want perfection then just debugmode=1 Control-8 your stats. Simple as that

Like sarevok57 said, I wouldn't mind accepting the first roll that comes my way just to add to the roleplaying atmosphere of the game.
    HvitrEbrithil
    People who roll for hours = a large % of the playerbase :)

Regardless people don't want to cheat - yes I'm prepared to roll for a long time to get the rolls I want, but I'm not prepared to for cheat them. When I get awesome rolls I want them to be legitimate otherwise it doesn't mean anything.
    AurenRavidelHvitrEbrithil
    edited August 2012
    I think with Baldur's Gate being brought up to date it's going to be exposed to a newer player based audience, not just the hardcore Balder's gate fans (like myself) and I'm sure a lot of them aren't going to be spending large quantities of time hitting re-roll. Or maby I'm wrong ;)

Having a total stats bar would make it easier for people to roll uber characters with 18/18/18 stats.
    Yes you can do this anyway, but some don't.
    If you're going to sit down patiently and invest the time to do it, then you've earned it.