Skip to content

Best 2 person party?

What would you say would be the ideal party if you could only have 2 characters? Or if not idea from a powergaming perspective, what would be interesting? I'm just starting a game with a F/M/T and a M/C to try to cover all bases while also making use of all the spells added in from bg2. One downside to this is of course that neither of these is a sorcerer. I was planning to go F/M/T + F/M/C at first but F/M/C barely gets better THAC0 than the M/C and the loss of higher level spells didn't seem worth the increased APR with all the weapons that give bonus APR in this game.

Comments

• ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited November 2014
    Are we talking HoF?

2 triple classes aren't really going to level slowly. Each class will be leveling at the rate a single class character is leveling in a 6 man party.

Sorcerers are nice, and getting Arcane spells early is even nicer. But you're really stuck with a character with horrible melee potential and very, very limited magic damage potential (because if there's only 2 characters the Sorc is definitely going to run out of spells before all enemies drop dead)

If we're not talking about HoF, go nuts with a Sorc and FMT or FM. C's aren't really needed, their team buffs only have 2 characters to work on (and maybe summons, but those aren't important when enemies have low enough HP that high level Skull Trap is going to blow them up anyway)

You can always use the Ferret Familiar and reloading to Pick Pocket, Sorcs can walk through traps and shrug the damage off thanks to Mirror Image and Stone Skin, locks can be Knocked or Bashed. Although you do lose out on Mislead Backstab.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

Are we talking HoF?

2 triple classes aren't really going to level slowly. Each class will be leveling at the rate a single class character is leveling in a 6 man party.

Sorcerers are nice, and getting Arcane spells early is even nicer. But you're really stuck with a character with horrible melee potential and very, very limited magic damage potential (because if there's only 2 characters the Sorc is definitely going to run out of spells before all enemies drop dead)

If we're not talking about HoF, go nuts with a Sorc and FMT or FM. C's aren't really needed, their team buffs only have 2 characters to work on (and maybe summons, but those aren't important when enemies have low enough HP that high level Skull Trap is going to blow them up anyway)

You can always use the Ferret Familiar and reloading to Pick Pocket, Sorcs can walk through traps and shrug the damage off thanks to Mirror Image and Stone Skin, locks can be Knocked or Bashed. Although you do lose out on Mislead Backstab.

+1 for ferret.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    limax said:

I was planning to go F/M/T + F/M/C at first but F/M/C barely gets better THAC0 than the M/C and the loss of higher level spells didn't seem worth the increased APR with all the weapons that give bonus APR in this game.

Both triples will max at 30/30/30 so no loss of higher power spells. 2 triples would level very quickly.

Difference of 6+ on THAC0, access to Exceptional STR & CON plus Wpn Spec & Warrior APR: FMC > MC
  • limaxlimax Member Posts: 14
    No HoF, just normal difficulty no-reloads.

It's 6 THAC0 when FMC hits fighter 21 but for most of the game the cleric level on the M/C will be a good deal higher than the Fighter level of a F/M/C. When the M/C hits cleric 22 for THAC0 6, F/M/C would only be fighter 16 with THAC0 5. Dual-wielding +1 APR weapons with draw upon holy might for strength 25 and improved haste would still put M/C on 8 APR with good damage and acceptable THAC0 on the 6 main hand attacks. Obviously F/M/C will still be better fighter but higher mage level for more and earlier 8th/9th level spells feels more usefull now that bg2 spells are in.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    F/M/T + C/R
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Usually, I would answer like: FMT+FMC. But having played the game, I can advice everyone to taste divine magic in IWDEE to the fullest.

Without HoF, I would go Priest of Tempus and Totemic Druid. IWDEE divine spells, that are new if compared to BG, are so, so good. With these two characters you'll be forced to try them - and you'll like them. It's amazing how clerics and druids can finally kick anyone's arse.
    edited November 2014
    Welp, managed to get my FMT killed by the orc archers. So much for that run.

Going to try 3 person party with a single classed human fighter that I'll dual later who can tank a bit early game. FMT being only 13 hp and the lone damage dealer kind of sucked.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @bengoshi Perhaps C/T & F/D then; two single classes seem like a waste, lol
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    After days of theorycrafting I can definitely tell you that F/M/C is the greatest thing ever in IWD.
    Frankly, the best party for whatever you're doing is : F/M/T for everything thief related, then fill the party with as many F/M/C as you need. Maybe, just maybe replace the 5th F/M/C with another F/M/T for better weapon distribution. The guide is actually telling the truth.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Dwarf fighter/cleric to tank/heal/buff and gnome thief/illusionist to handle traps/buffs/damage dealing could be a good combo. You level fast enough for them to get their better abilities on a workable timeframe, and defense is allright when you have the dwarf with 19 constitution, plate armor and a shield, the illusionist gets mirror image, stoneskin and improved invisibility to dodge damage.
    Almost feel like giving it a go myself now...
  • B4nJ0B4nJ0 Member Posts: 93
    edited November 2014
    Gotural said:

After days of theorycrafting I can definitely tell you that F/M/C is the greatest thing ever in IWD.
    Frankly, the best party for whatever you're doing is : F/M/T for everything thief related, then fill the party with as many F/M/C as you need. Maybe, just maybe replace the 5th F/M/C with another F/M/T for better weapon distribution. The guide is actually telling the truth.

I hope your are not talking about HoF. Mages are useless aside from, maybe, 1x k>m if you don't mind sitting him forever waiting for scrolls to spawn but sorc looks so much more usefull for the vast majority of the run without any downtime..

btw, for a no reload run I would prob go for something without any downtime and screw max atk/sec, GM or whatever. Min maxing is not worth the risk of losing your toon, imo at least.

DD
    F/C
    F/M/T

This is my call for a no reload 3 man party. You got heals, tanking, thief utility, summons and, again, all the toon looks quite effective at any point of the run.

You can also play max summon always and go for 2 ranged toons and an totemic but it's not my playstile since I see it boring has hell :p

Keep in mind I'm not used in no reload runs, I like to play hof/scs etc so keep in mind this is a newbie suggestion for this kind of run ;)

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Every twoclass multiclass is meh compared to a triple class multiclass in IWD.
    How are you ever going to get enough scrolls for a party with that many mage multiclasses? In the original IWD there is f.ex. only 1 scroll of stoneskin at the hand of the seldarine plus a second one in trials of the loremaster.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    FMT & CR

If you decide to add a third character, I suggest:

FMT
    FD
    FC
  • FRUTZKFRUTZK Member Posts: 18
    If you enjoy using EEkeeper... Dwarven Defender/Cleric, Barbarian/Thief. Tank tank tank it up! I'm running a three person party at the mo. DD/C, Barb/T and a Bard. Don't really need the tanks because of Summons in HoF but it is a heap of fun. Trying not to rely on summons and just take the pain!
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Fmt and a fc sound good to me. Animate Dead is really, really good for a 3rd lvl spell. Not worth misding out on in a small party. Fmt is to fill remaining wants/needs.

A swashie leveling fast would be a good melee character actually, single. Backup with a Sorcerer or Avenger.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    I'd either go with FMT + F/D (mirror image, stoneskin and iron skins, the unkillable duo) because R/C is a bit nerfed in IWD (they were AMAZING in original IWD, but now everyone has access to dual wielding), or, if you're taking a more extreme route...

FMT + 'zerker 7 -> cleric. two chars with 5 APR each, very nice combo.

though I still wouldn't two-man it. add a sorcerer or cleric/illusionist for crowd control and maximum fun.

btw if you mess with the ini file, R/C might also work very well instead of F/D.