Skip to content

#10638 [Android] Crash during quick save or area transitions with antivirus software enabled

WhodatWhodat Member Posts: 4
edited November 2014 in Troubleshooting
Hello,
I bought IWD:EE on google play for Android.
The problem I'm having is that the game randomly crashes when I try to quicksave (sometimes it saves sometimes it crashes), and when the map changes (sometimes it loads with no problem, and sometimes it crashes).

I have an acer A500
Android 4.0.3

IWD v 1.3.2058

Help and suggestions would be much appreciated

Thank you

PS: I also have BG:EE on the same device and I've had no problems running it.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    @Whodat‌ it might be worth shutting your device down and restarting it if you haven't already done so since installing the game.
  • WhodatWhodat Member Posts: 4
    I have shut down the device. I have also uninstalled, and reinstalled the game from the Google Play Store, but I am still having the same issues.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    edited November 2014
    Will leave this open @Whodat‌ as I can't see how to tell if this is device specific or there is an underlying problem. I can't replicate it on either Android devices available to me. If it clears up over time please could you advise - likewise if there is a certain point where quicksave or transition fails more frequently than normal.
    Thanks
    I did a factory restore on the device, and reinstalled from Google Play. And everything seems to be working fine so far.
    Don't suppose you can remember how much storage you had left prior to the restore @Whodat‌
    Thanks
    I don't remember specifically, but it was probably around 500mb.
    Much appreciated.
  • imanesimanes Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same problem, my device is a nexus 7( 2013). I also lose the saved game while the crashing is happening. I tried the same as @whodat even wiping cache, but still th same problems. It's frustrating!! Any solution? Thanks
    How much storage do you have free @imanes‌
    Thanks
  • mightyboognishmightyboognish Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2014
    I'm having an issue where the game (BG:EE) crashes when travelling between maps. I click on the map edge, the world map opens up, then when I select a destination the game crashes. I have experienced this going to and from the Friendly Arm Inn. The game closes partially; it's technically still an open app, but when I click on it it's back at the Beamdog logo. This is on a Nexus 7 (2013) and was occurring on both 4.4 and 5.0. Does anyone know if this is fixable, as it's making the game unplayable!

Edit: This is occurring in IWD:EE as well, AND it is crashing upon saving the game, which results in the save file being deleted completely. Grrrrrr.
    Post edited by mightyboognish on
    edited November 2014
    Does it help if you do a named save instead of a quicksave, or a named save before an area transition. i.e. is it 2 quicksaves in succession or 2 autosaves in succession that cause the crash, and does splitting them up work?
    Thanks
    @mightyboognish‌ this appears to be happening for both IWD:EE and BG:EE so have merged your post to the troubleshooting thread & added an edit to show it is for BG:EE.
    Yep. Just installed IWD:EE and it crashed when I exited Hrothgar's house. I hope this gets fixed soon. Oh, since it was mentioned in the thread, how DO you quicksave on Android?
    Left toolbar, above the question mark.

A reliable repro case will help us work out what is going on. As mentioned earlier, I don't get this issue and neither neither does one of the team on a Nexus 7 2013. If there is a common factor such as rooted device or device/game language settings we haven't worked that out yet, so the more information you provide the better.
    Thanks
    edited November 2014
    Well... It's non-rooted. I did sideload Android 5.0, but I had these issues before then. The device and game are both set to English. I changed nothing in the settings except setting auto-pause to finding traps, seeing enemy, character death, and weapon unusable.

Edit: I will give you all the info you need. Just let me know what it is.
    Gate70
    edited November 2014
    If you are able to repeatedly do this, say be entering and leaving his house, could you zip and attach a save in case there is something in it that causes the issue @mightyboognish‌

If you haven't shut the Nexus down entirely since installing, could you try that. & could you advise how much storage space you have left on it.

Tagging @Troodon80‌ so we can up the device count on this one (and see if those pause options do anything).

Thanks

edit, & any other apps open such as a browser or file manager, or even antivirus / firewall / security. What is shown as running in the setings > apps > running list.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I haven't been able to replicate this either.

Some details that Gate70 has already asked for and some more besides, anyone getting this issue should specify:
    • How much available storage space does the device in question have?
    • Has the device been restarted since Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition was installed?
    • Does you have any other running applications that might interfere (third party on-screen keyboards, anti-virus, firewall, security)?
    • Do you have any bluetooth devices such as keyboard or mouse?
    edited November 2014
    13 GB available space
    It has been restarted
    I am running Avast Antivirus
    No Bluetooth devices
    I attached a shot of what's running and when I go home later I'll make a zip of the save file
    I think it's Avast Antivirus causing crashes for me. I force closed it and BG stopped crashing on map transitions. Haven't tried IWD because I returned it.
    Gate70
    edited November 2014
    OK, thanks for the insight @mightyboognish‌ - it gives us something to start with.

Update: & I can reproduce crash on exiting Hrothgar's house with Avast active.
    Cheers
    I've raised this for Android & Avast.

Any other combinations, please report here so we can investigate those too.
    Thanks
    Cool. Looks like I'll keep IWD, then. Thanks!
  • TenjinTenjin Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. I am running baldurs gate 1.3 on a nexus 9 with android 5. I am experiencing random crashes when saving or moving from one scene to another. The crashes are often enough that the game is unplayable. Is anyone else experiencing this with this configuration. Cheers.
    @Tenjin‌
    I've merged threads, can you read through this and see if it applies to you, plus advise details as requested.
    Thanks
  • TenjinTenjin Member Posts: 2
    Hello again. I can confirm that for me its also avast antivirus that's causing the problem. I disabled the avast sheilds, leaving the avast program running and BG did not crash once.
    Gate70
  • mtanzmtanz Member Posts: 0
    edited December 2014
    1. Created a new game on my Nexus 7 (2012)
    2. Upon saving the game or quick saving the game or moving between scenes/structures within the game- a prompt is displayed stating the game has stopped
    3. Upon relaunching the game all saved game files are gone

- Have uninstalled & re-installed without any change.

Any help would be much appreciated :)
    @mtanz‌ can you advise if this applies to you.
    Thanks
  • MourningLordMourningLord Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2014
    Hello all. I don't know if this helps much or not. But I was playing around with the saving features. It seems that if you create a multitude of saves, it works fine with no crashes. But in cases where any of your saves are overwritten, there is a high chance the game will crash. In cases of quick saves or area transitions, those particular saves are overwritten. It seems that overwriting a saved game is what is triggering the crash. Hope this helps the devs.

UPDATE: I have on my device (Nook HD+) Avast antivirus (free version) which has a thing called "file scanning". When active is scans files as they are read and files as they are written. In the case of IWD EE and I believe BG EE, transitions do an auto save which overwrites the save, quick save overwrites the saves which Avast seems to not like. I turned this antivirus feature off and I kept hitting the "quick save" button in the game. I hit it at least 20 times with no crashes, before, when file scanning was enabled, it would crash when I hit the 2nd time. (The first time it creates the file, the 2nd time it is attempting to overwrite the file.) So, in short Avast does not really like file overwriting, thus it deletes the files that were there causing you to lose your saved games.
    Post edited by MourningLord on
  • MourningLordMourningLord Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday I put up an idea on this is another thread but I thought I would update it here.

After roughly 24 hours I have not had another crash in regards to saving or area transition.

This issue seems to be caused by file scanning from the virus scanner. (I use Avast).
    What file scanning does is scan files as they are created and changed. Since the scanner doesn't seem to like the way the files are overwritten, it crashes the program and then deletes the file that was being overwritten resulting in you having to either lose game time or have to start over completely. Since I only use Avast, I can only speak to this from that point. If you have another virus scanner, you might check to see if it scans files. In Avast, it's called app shield, it scans the files when they are being read and written too. I hope this helps most of you with this problem.

MourningLord