Skip to content

I love my Archer!

I've never really used stealth in these games, but she's working out great. I was in the second level of Dragon's Eye, getting my butt kicked on several occasions, when I decided to see if she could be helpful down there. After that I was able to pretty much clear out the rest of the area one creature at a time. I'd send her ahead in stealth mode, then as soon as she saw something she'd fire a single shot and lead the creature back to the rest of the party. It was a bit time consuming doing it that way, but very effective. Plus she's using that HoW voice that's full of sexual innuendos, which makes her rather appealing personality wise.
JuliusBorisovFrogmanStarflower2525Ravenslightjackjack[Deleted User]

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    My bard regularly says "So I kicked him in the head 'til he was dead....oh wow, did I really just say that?"
    I laughed.

I was tempted to take an archer, but bard won out. It served me well in Baldur's Gate, in Icewind Dale I figure they're even more useful. Next time!
    JuliusBorisovjackjackMerina
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    My Paladin says, "You think I'm a pawn in.... some... game."
    The_ReverendGrammarsaladMerinamlnevese
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    bengoshi said:

Be careful where you point that thing

i LOL'd
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    edited November 2014
    Nah, I love giving my female fighter a Sharteel voice.
    "Eat steel, scum!" - that makes me smile everytime x)
  • The_ReverendThe_Reverend Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2014

My Paladin says, "You think I'm a pawn in.... some... game."

I gave my Cleric that voice set, which is perfect because when his HP gets low he shouts "HELP! I NEED A PRIEST!".
    CaptRoryJuliusBorisov
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    "Click me again, and you'll do it without fingers."

Okay, scary barbarian lady. Please don't hurt me. O_o
    CaptRoryJuliusBorisov
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Jarrakul said:

"Click me again, and you'll do it without fingers."

Okay, scary barbarian lady. Please don't hurt me. O_o

What do you mean Barbarian, that's my Bard. I'm going to tell her you called her a name, and then you'll really be in trouble.

• AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    I remember: "Sorry, but I cannot show you a mercy!" and can't find it back. Any idea?
    And yes, Archers are amazing! Second most useful added class after Sorcerer.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Ranged combat and kiting tactics remains viable for the entire game, Heart of Winter and TotLm included. Archers must dominated as must fighters with 5 pips in ranged weapons.
  • gnaumiecgnaumiec Member Posts: 62
    I played through the beta as an archer and she easily had over 75 percent of my kills. Took down almost any baddie before they got in melee range. Loved every minute of it!
    I'm starting a new play through since I kind of screwed up with my Sorcerer. Giving her Haste was a big mistake. And this time I'm going to have my Thief and my Archer working together a bit more. My Thief will lay down a trap and my Archer will lure the enemy into it. That should be quite the team.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    Belanos said:

I'm starting a new play through since I kind of screwed up with my Sorcerer. Giving her Haste was a big mistake. And this time I'm going to have my Thief and my Archer working together a bit more. My Thief will lay down a trap and my Archer will lure the enemy into it. That should be quite the team.

Yeah I took 'Haste' on my sorcerer too. Maybe not the ideal choice in retrospect but it's not so bad that it warrants a restart. It still has its uses and 'Improved Haste' is impractical to use on the entire party if you don't pre-buff.

On topic: Yes, archers are great!
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    For a really overpowered character, install the Fighter Archer kit, and then dual that character to a mage at level 9 or 13. A Mage Archer.
    MrGoodkat said:

Maybe not the ideal choice in retrospect but it's not so bad that it warrants a restart.

That wasn't the only reason, I also wanted to switch my multi Fighter/Druid for a dual-class version. I was under the mistaken impression that a dual-class would have the armor restrictions of a pure Druid after reading up on dual-classing in a BG site. Apparently that's not the case, and it will be able to wear any armour. There was also another Sorcerer spell that I wanted to switch out as well, though I don't quite remember which one right now. I'd like to give Glitterdust a try instead, it sounds interesting.

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    You'd cream your pants when you get the Messenger of Sseth. Then try using it while hasted.
    With that Fatigue after the spell ends, I just don't see it as being worth it. Especially since there are only so many places you can rest. I was in Dragon's Eye when I first tried it out and it was a case of, have a battle on the third level, trudge all the way back to Mother Eugenia to rest, head back again, have another battle, rinse and repeat. It's just too much of a hassle. I'll wait until I can give her Improved Haste.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    MrGoodkat said:

Belanos said:

Yeah I took 'Haste' on my sorcerer too. Maybe not the ideal choice in retrospect but it's not so bad that it warrants a restart. It still has its uses and 'Improved Haste' is impractical to use on the entire party if you don't pre-buff.
    You can edit the known spells in Near Infinity and maybe in EEKeeper.

• schreierschreier Member Posts: 79
    I got the Hammer on my archer ... holy crap ....

And I dualed a berserker into a druid midfight ... got a message about illegal armor being dropped ... but it stayed on since you can't change armor while fighting ... so now I'm only leveling in fights to keep the armor on
    JLeeCaptRoryAbel
  • Misfit_KotLDMisfit_KotLD Member Posts: 16
    I've been using an archer to scout ahead and draw enemies back since BG II. I use two melee PCs to stall the monsters, but they don't have nearly as many kills as my archer or F/M/T. I love leading monsters back to a hail of bullets and arrows.

I've been using an archer to scout ahead and draw enemies back since BG II.

I've never tried that approach until now, I've always just waltzed in and met the enemy head on. But I'm really enjoying setting up ambushes this time around. It requires a bit of patience but it's very effective. I've just been going through the Vale of Shadows again doing it that way as much as possible, and my party is hardly taking any damage at all. And I have Mazzy to thank for it. She was so good at her bow that I figured I'd include an Archer in the party, then I decided to try out her other abilities as well. It's working out great. I'm thinking my next time through the BG games I'll play a Fighter/Thief dual class and make use of the stealth and traps abilities they have.

• Misfit_KotLDMisfit_KotLD Member Posts: 16
    Belanos said:

I've been using an archer to scout ahead and draw enemies back since BG II.

I've never tried that approach until now, I've always just waltzed in and met the enemy head on. But I'm really enjoying setting up ambushes this time around. It requires a bit of patience but it's very effective. I've just been going through the Vale of Shadows again doing it that way as much as possible, and my party is hardly taking any damage at all. And I have Mazzy to thank for it. She was so good at her bow that I figured I'd include an Archer in the party, then I decided to try out her other abilities as well. It's working out great. I'm thinking my next time through the BG games I'll play a Fighter/Thief dual class and make use of the stealth and traps abilities they have.

A high level thief can lead monsters into a barrage of party fire AND nasty traps. It works wonders.

A high level thief can lead monsters into a barrage of party fire AND nasty traps. It works wonders.

Yeah, I was thinking of playing as a Fighter in BG1 until 7th level, then switching to a Thief. So it would be good in melee, but still have all the Thief abilities on top of it. It should make for an interesting character. It's too bad I won't be able to choose a kit when dualing to a Thief, having a Fighter/Bounty Hunter would be an awesome combination.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Belanos said:

I've never really used stealth in these games, but she's working out great. I was in the second level of Dragon's Eye, getting my butt kicked on several occasions, when I decided to see if she could be helpful down there. After that I was able to pretty much clear out the rest of the area one creature at a time. I'd send her ahead in stealth mode, then as soon as she saw something she'd fire a single shot and lead the creature back to the rest of the party. It was a bit time consuming doing it that way, but very effective. Plus she's using that HoW voice that's full of sexual innuendos, which makes her rather appealing personality wise.

What portrait are you using for her?

Also, are you also detecting traps when you're scouting ahead?

What portrait are you using for her?

Also, are you also detecting traps when you're scouting ahead?

Well she has a bow on her back, though I believe she's actually holding on to a quarterstaff. And she has her hair in some kind of a bun on top. As for detecting traps, Rangers can't do that, so no she's not. That's the one shortfall at using an Archer that way. So far that hasn't been an issue. Aside from Dragon's Eye I've mainly used her in areas that I've been to before, so I know where the traps are. I've gotten fairly good at predicting where a trap is most likely to be found though, so if I suspect there might be one in her path, I'll just move the rest of the party nearby where the Thief can check the area. I'm sure at some point she'll be caught by surprise, but she's tough. She should be able to handle a few bruises.