Skip to content

Number reference question

On the inventory menu, where they have the list of numbers, in various shaped boxes. The upper most one, for Khalid, is at 1, then I give him the fists of the brawler, and it goes to -1, his dex goes from clean 16, to red 18.

What significance is that 1 to -1, and why is his dex going in the red?

Comments

• rhaelothrhaeloth Member Posts: 28
    edit - my main character has dex 18 and if i had t he gloves, nothing happens, but on Anjis, he goes down -2 from positive 2
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Red signifies that the ability score is being modified (by the gloves in this case). The increased Dexterity results in a higher bonus to your Armor Class, which is why Khalid's AC is going from 1 to -1.
  • rhaelothrhaeloth Member Posts: 28
    Game has confusing indicators.

So red, is not a negative marker. ?
    -# = towards a positive reason. ?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    AC, Thac0, or saving throws being lower is a good thing. Stats (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma) being higher is a good thing.

Red on a stat simply means something (an item or spell) is changing that stat. That could be a beneficial or harmful change.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited November 2014
    The so-called inconsistencies in the scaling of values are all derivative from the original source game system, the paper and pencil rules set Dungeons & Dragons. Believe it or not, they actually made a lot more sense when they were not forced to scale nearly as far, and were being managed by a living storyteller/game master, 40+ years ago.

But now, with 40 years of accumulated modifications, and 10s or 100s of millions of players familiar with a certain basic structure of play for the widest spread role playing game system in the world, you are kind stuck with accepting the core numerics the way they are - or choosing to play another game & game system altogether.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606

...or choosing to play another game & game system altogether.

I recommend Pathfinder. The true heir of the Dungeons & Dragons tradition.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    If you want to be able to calculate it (you probably don't it just sometimes helps to know how the game calculates it)
    the game will roll a 20 sided die to see if you hit
    Thac0 - AC = roll required to hit
    a roll of 20 is always a hit and a roll of 1 is always a miss

you only really need what elminster said though