Skip to content

Trent Oster's interview with pcgamesn.com: expect Baldur’s Gate V

2»

Comments

• ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    element said:

why not just go all out and go strait for Baldurs Gate X

everything is better with an x

Like Baldur's Gate XXX, though the reason why doesn't match rating on this forum:D
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    edited November 2014
    Lasejix said:

It's true that the story is ended with ToB, but if youo want another BG it must be in ad&d world, and in faerub overall. Why not making the story of other living child of bhaal? Imoen is not enough charismatic, but what about Sarevok? even if we ever know a little about his story after ToB.

I respectfully disagree with you. The lore changed somewhat after WotC released the module "Murder in Baldur's Gate". Or really, the events described in BG, SoA and ToB are very much untouched, but the module projects this lore to present day (the post-spellplague years) and hints to an event that might have deep repercussions for CHARNAME and any of his surviving party members. Any future BG (the game) that aims at proposing itself as the new chapter of the BG saga *HAS* to deal with the events reckoned in "Murder in Baldur's Gate". I don't see any other way around.
    On the other hand, if what Trent Oster has in mind is a game with the same style BG/SOA/IWD I&II have (isometric view, 4-6 chars party, sidequests), but on a completely different story/location, then it's not going to be a continuation of the BG saga. It's going to be a different game, influenced by BG but a different game altogether.
    A game that I would buy hands down, because the guys at Beamdog have demonstrated time and again they deserve my trust.
    Just, pelase avoid any 3D fuzzyness. I've had my share with NWN.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2014
    @bengoshi‌
    @Lord_Tansheron‌
    @AndrewFoley‌
    @Lasejix
    @Dee

I love Overhaul to death for what they've done with both IWD and BG.

The games are so much more fun to play in their new, polished versions.

If Overhaul wants to keep producing EEs and expanding them, they can always count on my $$.

But...

They can't write for shit.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but it's the truth.

This was never more obvious than with the new BG NPCs. The writing is depressingly bad.

It ranges from shallow and mediocre to fan-fiction-tier cringe-inducing (Dorn especially).

Neera is passable, but the other 3 are absolutely horrid. Contrast the drop in quality between Hexxat's and Viconia's dialogues - it's like playing an entirely different game. Particularly jarring were the instances where new dialogue was added to the old NPCs in order to have them interact with the newcomers. It was beyond bad. I've seen better fan-fiction (*much* better, actually).

Having said that, creating an entirely new RPG (and intellectual property) from scratch is a daunting, mammoth task, and one not guaranteeing success even when we're talking about established studios (like Obsidian, which is coincidentally staffed by many ex-BiSers), let alone a fledgeling outfit like Overhaul. It requires not only imagination, creativity, an insane drive, and the ability to deliver a fun, engaging product on time, but also the skill to weave complex stories, characters, descriptions, and lore, all peppered with interesting prose. So far, Overhaul failed on these last counts rather spectacularly.

So, unless they hire 2-3 full-time, pro writers, they aren't gonna go far in this niche they're targetting.

I honestly wish Trent and the gang all the best, but I seriously doubt their ability to deliver.

Here's to hoping they prove me wrong! ;)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Well, Lukas Kristjanson still lies buried at the Nashkel cemetery. Resurrect him, and they'll be good to go.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Dee said:

Maybe I will get flak for this, but Baldur's Gate 8 was better than 7. The lead character was just so much cooler.

I dunno. I thought the protagonist in 8 was too mopey. I much preferred the hero of Baldur's Gate VII, with his crippling amnesia and identity problems.
    Was that one with the spiky hair and oversized sword? I think I was invited to the beta for that one.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @TvrtkoSvrdlar‌

Basing my view on what I've seen in BG(1,2)EE, including the Black Pits, and IWDEE, I'm sure Beamdog are capable of making something like IWD3.

Locations, interesting fights, new kits and builds, new weapons and spells. All this with our favourite isometric view and a pause.

I would gladly try a new game like that.

If they make a new game like IWD3, both we and the developers themselves will be able to understand better what their chances are of making a big game like BG with detailed characters.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I'd be happy with just mini-modules... like Tales of the Sword Coast or Trials of the Luremaster type stuff, where you can finish in like 20-30 "hours of gameplay" (however they measure that...) rather than the 40-100 that Icewind Dale was advertised as. There was a mod called "Classic Adventures" that tried to do that I think.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    @booinyoureyes‌
    20-30 hours isn't a mini-module, it's a full-fledged expansion.

What you're thinking of is DLC, which can be anywhere from 5 to 10 hours.

An expansion pack offering ~30h of gameplay is not a a simple undertaking.

Nor should it be priced at anything less than a full game.
  • OudynOudyn Member Posts: 74
    Dee said:

Maybe I will get flak for this, but Baldur's Gate 8 was better than 7. The lead character was just so much cooler.

I dunno. I thought the protagonist in 8 was too mopey. I much preferred the hero of Baldur's Gate VII, with his crippling amnesia and identity problems.
    What about Baldur's Gate 6? I thought that game was pretty good, though the boss was disappointing. After all, didn't Drizzt make a comeback in BG6? Or was that the DLC for BG7 that was set in the same timeline as BG6? I forget.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

No you are thinking about Baldur's Gate 7: Advent Space Hamsters

I think the protag's name was...Clyde?
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I want to see a return of new CRPGs based in the Forgotten Realms
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    edited November 2014

@bengoshi‌
    @Lord_Tansheron‌
    @AndrewFoley‌
    @Lasejix
    @Dee

I love Overhaul to death for what they've done with both IWD and BG.

The games are so much more fun to play in their new, polished versions.

If Overhaul wants to keep producing EEs and expanding them, they can always count on my $$.

But...

They can't write for shit.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but it's the truth.

This was never more obvious than with the new BG NPCs. The writing is depressingly bad.

It ranges from shallow and mediocre to fan-fiction-tier cringe-inducing (Dorn especially).

Neera is passable, but the other 3 are absolutely horrid. Contrast the drop in quality between Hexxat's and Viconia's dialogues - it's like playing an entirely different game. Particularly jarring were the instances where new dialogue was added to the old NPCs in order to have them interact with the newcomers. It was beyond bad. I've seen better fan-fiction (*much* better, actually).

Having said that, creating an entirely new RPG (and intellectual property) from scratch is a daunting, mammoth task, and one not guaranteeing success even when we're talking about established studios (like Obsidian, which is coincidentally staffed by many ex-BiSers), let alone a fledgeling outfit like Overhaul. It requires not only imagination, creativity, an insane drive, and the ability to deliver a fun, engaging product on time, but also the skill to weave complex stories, characters, descriptions, and lore, all peppered with interesting prose. So far, Overhaul failed on these last counts rather spectacularly.

So, unless they hire 2-3 full-time, pro writers, they aren't gonna go far in this niche they're targetting.

I honestly wish Trent and the gang all the best, but I seriously doubt their ability to deliver.

Here's to hoping they prove me wrong! ;)

This is the thing that also worries me. I wouldn't go so far as saying that they can't write for shit, but the new NPC's in BG:EE just stood out a bit too much. The tone and style just didn't really do it for me, it's didn't belong. Was a bit jarring.

Still, like others have said, I'd love to see a new game from Overhaul. I just hope it's related to BG somehow. Not a continuation, the saga/story is over. But perhaps set in the same area, in the same style.
    As a side note, they should have a plan if they're going to make it a saga. One of the things that amazes me about BG even today is the foreshadowing. NPC's speaking of Godly wars to come, and dreams detailing unimaginable, innate powers.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

@booinyoureyes‌
    20-30 hours isn't a mini-module, it's a full-fledged expansion.

What you're thinking of is DLC, which can be anywhere from 5 to 10 hours.

An expansion pack offering ~30h of gameplay is not a a simple undertaking.

Nor should it be priced at anything less than a full game.

You know those little mini-modules on NWN from mods? Those were not full games but they were also more than 5-10 hours of gameplay (and free). Something like that I'd gladly pay 10 bucks for.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    BG IX had a colorful cast, a nice break from the gritty feel of the past, but why did they add all those weird races

I'm more interested in an IWD sequel that stands up to IceTrigger. Icewind Cross just had too many extraneous NPCs to overload a potentially good plot.
  • RedViiperRedViiper Member Posts: 48
    edited November 2014
    Baldur's Gate V Adventures of Boo! The events of 3 and 4 are inconsequential other than leading to the Tinker Gnomes restoring Boo to a full Giant Space Hamster, so he may avenge his friend Minsc who was cut down by the invading Scro who have ventured into Baldur's Gate
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Dragonlance!
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    In the download page BG an BG2 are under prequels. Perhaps they are working on it right now.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    As long as Tiax cameos in every iteration I don't care how many iterations exist.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited November 2014

I wouldn't go that far.

I know for a fact that Dorn's romance was a rush job - I don't mean that as a criticism, because for something produced in a 48-hour span it works well enough - and what that tells me is that Beamdog is simply not as interested in story/character work as they are in new kits, gameplay tweaks and features like quick-loot and resizable windows.

Fair enough, I guess, except for the fact that they charge extra for that new content and PC players don't even have a say in that. So that's kind of unfortunate, especially since they don't seem to feel any obligation to do anything about the more mediocre elements.

Still, if they stick to IWD and similar games that don't require the production of new story content, they'll do just fine. They can go enhance IWD2 and PS:T, that shouldn't be too problematic.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    shawne said:

I wouldn't go that far.

Still, if they stick to IWD and similar games that don't require the production of new story content, they'll do just fine. They can go enhance IWD2 and PS:T, that shouldn't be too problematic.
    This all depends on what they plan for that particular niche to be. Mastercrafted and involving rpg a la Baldur's Gate, or hack 'n slash with thin plot setup a la Icewind Dale? Maybe it's just me, but out of those two options only the former seems to provide something that's actually needed on today's gaming scene. Right now only Pillars of Eternity seems to be going for something similar, whereas games that center around killing monsters and looting items are a lot more plentiful.

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Shin said:

This all depends on what they plan for that particular niche to be. Mastercrafted and involving rpg a la Baldur's Gate, or hack 'n slash with thin plot setup a la Icewind Dale? Maybe it's just me, but out of those two options only the former seems to provide something that's actually needed on today's gaming scene. Right now only Pillars of Eternity seems to be going for something similar, whereas games that center around killing monsters and looting items are a lot more plentiful.

Whether those games are plentiful or not is beside the point. "Pillars of Eternity" has Chris Avellone, George Ziets and Josh Sawyer on the writing team - these are people who have a reputation (and deservedly so) for creating excellent story content. Beamdog doesn't have that caliber of talent working for them, and the content they have put out is problematic at best. They might as well play to their strengths.