Skip to content

I love my Archer!

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

This is a very effective strategy, but by far the cheesiest and most unrealistic in the game.

Yes, that's true, but it doesn't always work that way. Down in Dragon's Eye she spotted a single Troll and took a shot to attract it's attention. Then next thing I know the party is having to deal with three of them, plus several Talonite priests. The first time it didn't go so well, I had to reload and try again. I got them on the second try though, thanks to an Entangle scroll my Fighter/Druid had been hoarding.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

*thwack*
    Sssssteve: "ack!"
    Ssssam: "Hey Ssssean, why is there an arrow in Sssssteve?"
    Ssssean: "No idea. Why is he walking in that direction?"
    Ssssam: "I dunno. Now he's sssscreaming in pain. Should we follow him?"
    Ssssean: "Nah, he's just a big baby. I'm getting tired of you sssssh*t Sssssteve"

Hey, sssessyy, do you want to take a look at me ditties?
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited November 2014
    bengoshi said:

Be careful where you point that thing

Ooh..I love it when you take charge. Still better lovestory than Twilight.

I like the "I'll light a candle for you" on a priest.

p.s. My arse is as clean as an elven inn. What a twist!
    JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    You've all convinced me. I've started a new party:
    Human Bard
    Dwarven Defender
    Half-elf Fighter/Druid
    Dwarf Priest of Lathander
    Elven Assassin/Mage (EEKeepered)
    AND
    Elven Archer
    JuliusBorisovJLee
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited November 2014
    You know something is bad when your multi-classed fighter/thief with a longbow has the highest kill/xp out of the whole party.

Made a new group, too.

Elven Archer CROSSBOW
    Human Dual-Classed Fighter/Thief LONGBOW
    Half-Elven Bard SHORTBOW
    Half-Orc Barbarian (the huge female)
    Dwarven Dual-Classed Dwarven Defender/Cleric (oh, that EEKeeper, always getting the better of me)
    Elf Drag. Disciple (a must have, I feel :/)

Heart of Fury mode ON!
    jackjack
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Belanos said:

What portrait are you using for her?

Also, are you also detecting traps when you're scouting ahead?

Well she has a bow on her back, though I believe she's actually holding on to a quarterstaff. And she has her hair in some kind of a bun on top.
    This one?

That was always one of my favorite portraits in IWD.
    Belanos said:

As for detecting traps, Rangers can't do that, so no she's not.

Eventually, when your archer is able to attain druid spells, she should be able to cast detect traps as a spell.
    JLeejackjackJuliusBorisov
    Yes, that's the picture. It also works well for her voice set, it's rather sultry. I wasn't aware of her ability to use the Detect Traps spell. I had given her a scroll but she couldn't use it, I guess that was because she hadn't reached that level yet. I'll have to keep that in mind. I've come across a Wand of Detect Traps as well, but she wasn't able to use that either. It seems only arcane casters can use it, which doesn't really make it all that useful.
    JuliusBorisov
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Belanos said:

Yes, that's the picture. It also works well for her voice set, it's rather sultry. I wasn't aware of her ability to use the Detect Traps spell. I had given her a scroll but she couldn't use it, I guess that was because she hadn't reached that level yet. I'll have to keep that in mind. I've come across a Wand of Detect Traps as well, but she wasn't able to use that either. It seems only arcane casters can use it, which doesn't really make it all that useful.

Scrolls have a minimum intelligence requirement. 9 I think.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited November 2014
    Wowo said:

Scrolls have a minimum intelligence requirement. 9 I think.

Yes it is, but that's not the issue with her. She hadn't reached the level where she could access her spells yet, so I guess she can't use the scrolls either.

• MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Good to read this. I will give a dedicated Archer a try then, too. An Axes+++++ Berserker with a returning throwing axe has become my ranged weapons dude in the first IWDEE playthrough. HoW is next.
    JuliusBorisovby_the_sword
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited November 2014
    @Belanos‌

Not reaching the level when the first spells are available for a character to memorize them doesn't prevent this character to cast them from scrolls it this character is able to use the scrolls.

I believe a ranger can't use the Detect Traps scroll in IWDEE because only clerics, and not druids, can do it in this game (and ranger is given druidic spells, not clerical).
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    SharGuidesMyHand
  • hexxactlyhexxactly Member Posts: 40
    My round about scout/archer is a shadowdancer7/fighter. Find traps, pick locks, hide in shadows, currently a tic off from grandmastery longbows, evasion, and shadowstep to get back to group when runs into mobs.

Pretty slow at first but well worth it in time.
    Merina said:

An Axes+++++ Berserker with a returning throwing axe has become my ranged weapons dude in the first IWDEE playthrough. HoW is next.

Is that Axe something you added with a mod? I had a look with Near Infinity and couldn't find any returning Axes. I was thinking of making a Dwarven Defender at the time. Or did I just miss something?

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    There's a returning axe in the game. I think I found it somewhere in Dragon's Eye, but honestly I only know I had it before Yxunomei. I do have some mods installed, but no item mods, so I'm pretty sure it's part of the vanilla game.
    JuliusBorisov
    Well damn, I'll have to take another look. I always have a Dwarf in my party and it would be nice to have him good at Axes. But the standard Throwing Axes are just too heavy and clumsy to use IMO. Do you recall the name of it?
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Using this item list for vanilla game, the only magical throwing axe I could find was:
     Throwing Axe +2

This throwing axe has not only been finely balanced for use as a missile
    weapon but has also been the subject of significant magical enhancement. As a
    result, it is both more damaging and more accurate than any non-magical
    weapon of a similar style.

STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D6 +3
    THAC0: +2
    Damage type (melee): Slashing
    Damage type (thrown): Missile (piercing)
    Special: Returns to user's hand once thrown
    Weight: 3
    Speed Factor: 2
    Proficiency Type: Axe
    Type: 1-handed
    Not Usable By:
    Druid
    Cleric
    Mage
    Thief
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
    Yeah, I found it using Near Infinity. I guess I missed it the first time. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it, it would be a nice weapon for my Dwarf to have.
    elminster
  • AudacesAudaces Member Posts: 57
    The axe can be found in the torture chamber in the level with Yxunomei, and it's always there (along with the physical resistances ring... *wink wink*). There's a hidden button that opens access to that room so keep your tab key ready to highlight important stuff.
    ShikaoJuliusBorisovMerina
    Well it will probably have to wait for awhile. I've just about finished downloading Skyrim so that will no doubt be keeping me busy for awhile. I'm on a bit of game acquisition spree these days, I've been getting a new one every couple of weeks lately. Next comes Wasteland 2, followed by XCom.
    elminsterShikao
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Oooo XCom that is a fun one. :)
    Yes, it does look interesting. And it seems to have very favourable reviews. I got myself a 1 terrabyte hard drive awhile back and I feel obligated to fill it up somehow. I'm only about half way there so far.
    jackjackelminster
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    @Audaces
    What ring would that be? I don't remember finding any physical resistance jewelry. Do you perhaps remember the ring's name?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029

It's possible that the ring is not a physical resistance ring, but is in fact horribly, horribly cursed. Hence the winking.
    Shikao
  • AudacesAudaces Member Posts: 57
    edited November 2014
    It's definitely physical resistances ring, but yes, it is cursed and it confers a 20% penalty to physical resistances. It's called the Ring of Pain Amplification and, according to Gamebanshee, its code is RINGPAN.

Audaces said:

The axe can be found in the torture chamber in the level with Yxunomei, and it's always there

That sounds alright, because while in my second run I've found some random items in other places, this throwing axe has been exactly in that place again. My berserker dwarf is happy. It is so much fun to see him kill even large enemies before they even reach the party.

Back to the topic, as much as I'd like to give an Archer a try, I have doubts I'm pro enough. My second party is just a little bit different in search for alternatives. I don't know which character I would drop easily to make room for an archer without having to jump over hoops to finish some encounters.

Cavalier - human
    Berserker - dwarf
    Cleric/Ranger - half-elf
    Fighter/Thief - halfling
    Skald - half-elf
    Berserker 3/Mage - human

First, the dual-class Mage has been an interesting experience for me in IWD. I wondered whether I would need her spell casting ability too early for some enemies, so that I could not wait for reaching berserker level 3 or needed to cast from scrolls or try a different approach. The bard as backup caster has given some safety to aid with magic missiles where arrows would be less safe to hit. But it's doable. it frightened me a bit because of the many trolls, not enough fire arrows and only limited burning things to throw at them. And the several priests that support the trolls. Early access to Haste and Fireball and a few level 2 spells like web makes that easier.

So far it seems as if I could simply replace the Skald with an Archer, given that I've not felt the bard's song to be really needed. A full Bard has been more versatile because of the several songs to choose from. If I just didn't like spell casters so much ... eewwwwhh. ;)
    JuliusBorisov
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    @Merina: You can just replace the Berserker/Mage or the pure Berserker with an Archer. Your front line will be more than enough without the Berserker and your the Skald can cover all your arcane casting if you drop the B/M.

The only thing you really have to worry about with an Archer is not waste your enchanted arrows. Eventually there's gonna be a shop in ToL where you can buy unlimited +1 fire arrows which helps tremendously.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Neat trick with the Archer Called Shot ability is that it can slay otherwise unkillable creatures. I mentioned in another thread that Hjollder had a Warhammer +4 Defender. Thing is, EE gave him a ring that prevents him from having less than 1 HP. If you Improve Haste a level 12 Archer, s(he)'ll easily reduce his 12 Strength to 0 which will kill him.
    Since the Strength penalty lasts 10 seconds, with 10 attacks per round, you could theoretically slay any target with 16 Strength or less, provided you don't miss.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
    MrGoodkat said:

@Merina: You can just replace the Berserker/Mage or the pure Berserker with an Archer.

Huh, so many possibilities! I've restarted with the same party and replaced the Skald with an Archer. Too curious ... comparing the saved games, the new party arrived at the same dungeon location sooner. More than ten days. The Archer is the top killer so far, but someone else is catching up. Random item findings have been interesting, too. For the trolls I had extra safety due to "Fang", a bastard sword with a 25% chance of 1d3 acid damage and the similar fire bastard sword one can find, too. Compared with the Skald, the Archer has had no trouble whatsoever to finish off the trolls on the ground with fire arrows. Enough flaming oil in stock now...

Replacing the Berserker? No way! Dwarfs are too funny. And this time he, Kieran, is dual-wielding an Axe and a Fast Flail +2 for an extra attack per round. Meanwhile the throwing returning axe is his, too.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    Merina said:

MrGoodkat said:

@Merina: You can just replace the Berserker/Mage or the pure Berserker with an Archer.

Huh, so many possibilities! I've restarted with the same party and replaced the Skald with an Archer. Too curious ... comparing the saved games, the new party arrived at the same dungeon location sooner. More than ten days. The Archer is the top killer so far, but someone else is catching up. Random item findings have been interesting, too. For the trolls I had extra safety due to "Fang", a bastard sword with a 25% chance of 1d3 acid damage and the similar fire bastard sword one can find, too. Compared with the Skald, the Archer has had no trouble whatsoever to finish off the trolls on the ground with fire arrows. Enough flaming oil in stock now...

Replacing the Berserker? No way! Dwarfs are too funny. And this time he, Kieran, is dual-wielding an Axe and a Fast Flail +2 for an extra attack per round. Meanwhile the throwing returning axe is his, too.
    Glad it's working out for you. I still think you should have taken the Skald over the Berserker/Mage, but that's a matter of taste I guess.
    jackjack