Skip to content

Using ShadowKeeper to fix saves.

ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x5AB90A File: CItem.cpp Line: 1573 Expression: pRes->Demand() Message: (null)

is the message I get when trying to load up a save.

Some background: I was playing through BGT with several mods. Stratagems was one of those mods, and it caused some crashes (allegedly, it was why the spider caves couldn't be entered and de'Arnise keep had crashes with monster spawns). I tried to uninstall the mod and it ruined the whole game, so I was forced to re-install everything.

So I did, but somewhere along the lines I did something differently and now the game doesn't have files for some of the items I have. Specifically, some bullet types for the sling and one other item I don't know the identity of. I removed them from my characters' inventories using ShadowKeeper, but I still get the above error when trying to locate the save. I feel like it might be the positions of some items on the map, but I don't know how to remove all of those instances. Is it possible to simply add a dummy item (like a pile of god or a gem) in the place of those items such that all the instances of the bugged items is replaced with the dummy item?

For some strange reason, the CItem.cpp file doesn't actually exist or is actually inside of another file, as I can't find it with a search.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Do yourself a favor and get EEKeeper. That should fix any problem you may have had.
    PibaroCrevsDaak
  • PowerOfKaishinPowerOfKaishin Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2014
    I actually wasn't playing the enhanced edition... but I guess it can't hurt to try out in the case there are other features.

Edit: It only works on EE. Did you even read my post? From what I know, BGT doesn't exist for the enhanced editions. I was playing the original version (with mods). That's why I didn't post in that forum. Geez...
    Post edited by PowerOfKaishin on
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @PowerOfKaishin, Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT) brings BG to the BG2. EE Keeper is based on Shadow Keeper and will also work with the original BG2. I have not checked for compatibility with overhaul mods such as BGT, but I assume it will still work.
  • PowerOfKaishinPowerOfKaishin Member Posts: 10
    It doesn't seem to be able to detect the file. In any case, I think it's a problem with stratagems v28, as when re-installing that seems to be what is currently crashing the game. Why is that mod so problematic?

In any case, it bugs out as soon as I load a file or start a new game. A google search reveals nothing, however.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @PowerOfKaishin, I actually have no idea why it would be problematic. What about the installation order with other mods?
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

For some strange reason, the CItem.cpp file doesn't actually exist or is actually inside of another file, as I can't find it with a search.

Citem.cpp is one of the source code files from the BG2 engine. Your problems seems to be associated with a .cre that has an item erroneously assigned and is causing crashes because of that (having a shield and a two-handed weapon causes this, and SCS adds weapons to many creatures, so it's possible it could be causing this crash).
    Avenger_teambg