Skip to content

Your favorite weapons

The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
Some weapons are just a joy to use. Name yours.

I'll start with:

1) Celestial fury used by a solo fighter/thief, either multi- or dual-class. That noise, and the graphic, are just sublime, and then you get to chop them to bits while they stand there stunned. I could do this all day.

2) I'm currently playing Fallout new Vegas, with a sneaky sniper type character, I've just put 100 * in guns, and dug out my anti-materiel rifle. I'd tried it before, with around 60 * guns, and it was so bad I reverted to the trusty basic sniper-rifle. Now I'm ready, and it is good. Satisfying gunshot sound, and .. well, I dropped the first super-mutant here in one shot.

JuliusBorisovCoryNewbCrevsDaakTeflonAristilliusBlackraven

Comments

• CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    edited November 2014
    bengoshi said:

My favourite weapon is words. You can hit everything with the right ones.

That's a very planescape answer from you blademaster bengoshi. I like it.

imageimage

My favorite weapon is the spread gun from contra 1-4. Supreme butt kicking with that bad boy.
    JuliusBorisovWandering_MinstrelCoM_Solaufein
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I'd have to say the spear is my favourite weapon.
    A well outfitted army with spears and tower shields makes and excellent holding force that can deal with nearly anything.
    If I had to pick a specific weapon I'd go for the silver sword in the NWN2 intro
    SquireThe_Potty_1old_jolly2
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2014
    can weapons include equipment?

for now some weapons made for killing:

swords in Destiny- something was insanely awesome about the FPS turning into a 3rd person hack and slash
    torque bow, Gears of War- thought i might say the lancer, but I find bows very satisfying, more so than a chainsaw
    power fish/ballistic fist, Fallout series- i gained a huge appreciation for these after meeting veronica in new vegas. really high melee damage, and who doesn't want to punch somebody and have their head explode? (i am not even going to bother fixing my spelling there, and i noticed it before even posting :))
    sticky grenades, a few games but most notably Halo- very satisfying when you hit your target. it can also be satisfying on the recieving end if you can blow up the thrower with you!
    edit: Metal Gear or other controllable giant robots- thinking of Metal Gear I thought of that ray vs rex fight and how awesome that was :)

equipment:

cardboard box, metal gear- this one is too obvious for me to not include it :)
    magazine, metal gear- same as before. it is great watching those incompetant guards leave their posts to check it out :)

honestly I'll end it there. I've spent longer than I should have to think of those, and I've used many weapons better than those tbh. I am just having problems thinking of them right now. I wanted to include fantasy weapons, yet I couldn't think of the really unique ones that I know are out there that I've used.
    abacus
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited November 2014
    I'm a fan of the bow - but only wooden bows. In particular, I like the longbow used by the Nord bowmen in the Mount and Blade games (even though archers are universally hated in M&B multiplayer - as I found out the hard way! ;-) ).

I hate compound bows though - especially when you add sights with spirit levels, vernier gauges on the arrow rests, stabilisers, release aids...might as well get a machine to shoot it for you. :P

I also agree that spears are the most useful on a medieval battlefield, but there's something about a sword - particularly a longsword - that conveys a romantic image of skill and finesse, although I myself prefer to use single-handed swords, together with either a dagger or a buckler (mainly because I fight less well with a longsword than a single-hander!).

I also don't like curved swords...only straight swords with two edges and a tip for stabbing, and with a decent guard.

Third place would have to be the quarterstaff, but only when used properly, not the lame Hollywood half-staff style always portrayed in films, because that's the silly way to use it!
    JuliusBorisov
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I'm also a fan of bows. :) Bows and longswords and katanas for me. Daggers are a very close second.

Unfortunately I only know how to use one of these things... And even then, I'm out of practice. >.>;;
    JuliusBorisovDungeonnoob
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    oh... so much bow talk helped me think. not sure if it can count because it is really just the arrows, but the thief bow has a bunch of special arrows to use :)
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Ferret fangs. Those things are SHARP!
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Tentacles: most prehensile weapon of all and in every situation handy to have.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Farts low casting time
    No saving throw. Available to every class
    Wandering_MinstrelCrevsDaakBlackraven
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

Racial enemy: Japanese schoolgirls?
    NonnahswriterJuliusBorisovold_jolly2CrevsDaak
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Nimran said:

Racial enemy: Japanese schoolgirls?
    Ziiiiiiing!
    NimranJuliusBorisovold_jolly2CrevsDaak
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    wubble said:

I'd have to say the spear is my favourite weapon.
    A well outfitted army with spears and tower shields makes and excellent holding force that can deal with nearly anything.

I kinda am a fan of that phalanx outfit of AoE. Spears and pikes , adding on a dagger for a quick combat and one or two poisonous darts for a ranged wipeout. Though more likely a 2m spear and a buckler should do it , and if you are in a forest or something very open like that , take cover in shadows etc , and daggerize. Tactic scala depend on the AI. A phalanx formation looks more suitable to me in indoors orr with a great army to keep out of being flanked. With a good skill , I think the spear could be operatable in narrow paths. It is actually I think developped for such scenarios. An axe is a kinda trapping weapon too , the kinda you wait for the enemy to stick his head out.
    The best thing about the spear based force is that they are such a solid unit, you have plenty of time to manoeuvre your cavalry round the back and hit them with the hammer and anvil combo. or you could just pepper them with arrows from behind your lines
    Teflon
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    edited November 2014
    My ugly mug and god awful stench are the only weapons I'm allowed to carry in England.

I've always liked fire axes... and yes... spades and shovels.
    SquireTeflon
    bengoshi said:

My favourite weapon is words. You can hit everything with the right ones.

And with such legendary wpm , you're monster-kill. :)
    TeflonJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2014
    ...and joke aside , and slightly out of topic ,

@‌bengoshi , reminded me of the song :

and "creeps up like a thief in the night" makes me remember this song , too :

JuliusBorisov
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    S&W 681
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    The longer it is, the better it is.
    I prefer polearm baba in diablo 2.
    However in BG and D&D series I liked longsword.
    But if there were a firearms then I would choose M16, Loved its recoil since 2003.
    Teflon said:

But if there were a firearms then I would choose M16, Loved its recoil since 2003.

In recoil quarters, you might want to check out Vector :

Teflon
    Also for those people who wondered if a bullet can be ignited at the edge of a spear , or not :

Also for those people who wondered if a bullet can be ignited at the edge of a spear , or not :

It works in Hollywood!

The Grey
    edited November 2014
    @wubble You actually spoilerized that you did not watch the video carefully to the end. :) Because he already mentions in it.

Or may be you spoilerized yourself that you are bored. That could do as well. Why not ?

@wubble You actually spoilerized that you did not watch the video carefully to the end. :) Because he already mentions in it.

Or may be you spoilerized yourself that you are bored. That could do as well. Why not ?

I did in fact watch to the end. I mustn't have been paying attention
    old_jolly2lolien