Skip to content

Can't use raise dead at my party member.

Hi, i'm travelling in the dragon eye level 2, and my party member died. Now i would like to ressurect her, but i can't. what's up here?

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Is it an Elf? You can't use Raise Dead on them.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Did they get chunked?
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    If your party member is greyed on the side portraits then prolly he/she is elf and must be resurrected( raise dead does not work on elfs). If the portrait is gone from your side the the killing blow was so strong that the party member was disintegrated and he/she is gone for good.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited November 2014
    Technically speaking though, Resurrection should actually work on chunked/disintegrated/petrified and shattered characters too, since that's the primary difference between raise dead and resurrection. Raise dead needs a relatively intact body, while resurrection just needs a piece or even a pinch of dust from it.

Also...I can't remember if it was implemented in IWD or not, but raise dead also doesn't work on character who died of level drain or a death effect (like finger of death or the Death spell), because those types of spells directly attack the soul of the creature and it needs stronger magic to overcome it.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Anduin said:

Solution!

Mummification!

Problem solved!

Considering how that turned out for you, @Anduin, maybe.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I'm still running around ain't I?
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    If he/she is an elf you need resurrection as stated above, why? I don't know.

Raise dead is more like heart massage cough cough not dead yet, while resurrection is more like HALLELUJAH!!! HE IS ALIVE!!!
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    Thankfully, IWD:EE gives your party discounts when it comes to resurrection at temples.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150

If he/she is an elf you need resurrection as stated above, why? I don't know.

Raise dead is more like heart massage cough cough not dead yet, while resurrection is more like HALLELUJAH!!! HE IS ALIVE!!!

In the PNP books there's some explanation about Elves having spirits, while Humans and most others have souls. The impact on Raise Dead is the only practical difference the distinction ever makes. Just, FWIW...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I remember never rolling an elf in Eye of the Beholder because of this.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited November 2014
    Disntegrate, finger of death, death spell and massive damage from pyschial or elemental sources (fire, electricity, ice, acid) can permanently kill a character. (Unless you play on story mode, ofcourse!) You will lose out the portrait from the portrait bar as well. That character is gone forever unless you reload.
  • aerefrygtaerefrygt Member Posts: 16
    Redrake said:

Thankfully, IWD:EE gives your party discounts when it comes to resurrection at temples.

Are discounts reputation-based or Charisma? I tried casting friends to get a discount to resurrect my elf but think it didnt work :/
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Both but mainly charisma as very little that you do in the game will actually increase your reputaion.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Also alignment. Trying to rez an evil character at a good temple costs like 10x as much as normal.