Skip to content

Is invisible singing possible?

My favorite BG2 tactic was to make CHARNAME a jester, cast spell immunity (divination) and cast invisibility, then walk into a throng of bad guys singing my song of chaos and mayhem. Watching drow and mind flayers driven to fratricidal madness by my singing was so very sweet.

Sadly, it seems that singing bard song breaks invisibility in IWD... is there another way to play Hide & Sing, or is this tactic simply not practicable?
jackjackkcwise

Comments

• WesleyWesley Member Posts: 55
    edited November 2014
    Wowo said:

Mislead?

Cool, but that's like a level six spell, right? It'll be a while before my bards are casting at that level. What about improved invisibility? Would singing kill that as well?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Wesley said:

Wowo said:

Mislead?

Cool, but that's like a level six spell, right? It'll be a while before my bards are casting at that level. What about improved invisibility? Would singing kill that as well?
    The bard can be seen once you start singing but still can't be targeted by spells and retains the +4 AC/saves.
    jackjackkcwise
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    In fact, due to far from perfect enemy AI in IWDEE your bard can calmly sing without any invisibility - just keep her at the back and she won't be hurt.
    jackjackBelgarathMTHkcwise
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    If you read the ability, it was ALWAYS supposed to be break stealth/invisibility, because the ability specifically requires the enemy be able to see and hear the jester to be affected.
    jackjackkcwise
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    elminster said:

Nimran said:

Srsly, next time you're playing hide-and-seek, break out into song and let us know how that works out...

Okay...
    They found me.
    That is only because you are probably a decent singer. If you were a really bad singer they would covering their ears in agony and be running around frantically hoping that it stopped. :p
    I actually have a pretty good singing voice, in my opinion. Of course, my family doesn't agree...
    elminsterkcwise
    jackjack said:

It makes sense, really. Everyone who can hear well enough can pinpoint where a sound is coming from. Singing sort of runs counter to stealth, in my own experience :P

True, without question. Then again... magic.
    jackjackkcwise
    bengoshi said:

In fact, due to far from perfect enemy AI in IWDEE your bard can calmly sing without any invisibility - just keep her at the back and she won't be hurt.

Fair enough. But in terms of role playing (and entertainment value), it's quite fun for the lone jester to steal into a room, and with his singing set his former upon each other, so that when his brave companions arrive, they need only dispose of some wounded stragglers.
    jackjackkcwise
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Dat 1 INT...
    wubblekcwiseJuliusBorisov
    kcwise said:

What about invisible dancing? Quaff a potion and go all riverdance on the enemy. All that stomping will make them think an army is coming. Plus, all that exercise is good for you.

jackjack said:

It makes sense, really. Everyone who can hear well enough can pinpoint where a sound is coming from. Singing sort of runs counter to stealth, in my own experience :P

Obviously someone didn't take enough skill points in Ventriloquism!

Invisible Elf Bard - "lalalallalaaaaaa"
    Orc Leader - "Eh? Why Fragdrek singing silly elf song?"
    Fragdrek, loyal orc follower - "Wha? Me not singing."
    Orc Leader -"Arrgh! Hurt ears, me smash!"
    Fragdrek - "No! Aiieeee!"
    Orc Leader - "Err.. Fragdrek still sing? Fragdrek undead! Run for life!!!"
    Invisible Elf Bard - *watches orc patrol run further into the caves*
    Invisble Dwarf Berserker - "I can NOT believe that just worked."
    Invisible Elf Bard - "And YOU said I was wasting my skill points."
    I like to think that I get all the drow doing the Gangnam Style dance while wielding morning stars until... Whoopsie!
    elminsterkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    edited December 2014
    Maybe there could be a Ventriloquist bard-kit, which can make it appear as if the singing is coming from someone else (while remaining invisible obviously).
    wubblejackjackkcwise