Skip to content

FR trading card scans: Duke Eltan, Tenhammer Khosann, and more

kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
I was looking through some of my old FR trading cards and noticed a couple of familiar characters: Duke Eltan, founder of the Flaming Fist & Turgosz Tenhammer Khosann, leader of the Black Talon mercenary company. Their descriptions are interesting, as is the name change for Khosann (It's Taugosz in the game). The trading cards were released in 1993 so they predate Baldur's Gate the game by a bit.

Card Fronts:

Card Backs:
Post edited by kcwise on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Now, Turgosz, WHERE'S MY HAMMER +3?

It would be fun to look at other BG-related trading cards. Nice idea!
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    If I happen to find more I'll edit the images a bit better next time. :)
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Er, Baldur's Gate was released in 98, dude.
  • macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, but the cards were 1993, not 2003. I used to have that whole set. And the year before's set, I think (black border, rather than green).

EDIT: Just looked, and I still have a couple of the 1993 cards, but none of the 1992. No Forgotten Realms stuff, but one of them is still a pic I occasionally use for a female ranger, Telena of Mithric Falls (misspelled as Telene pretty much everywhere on the internet, so you know they're all plagiarizing).
    Yeah, sorry about the date mixup. It was late and I typed in the wrong date.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    Ooo very cool! I love the nostalgic art style, overpowered gear they have, basically everything. Turgozs is a manly man with that beard and towering height.

More, please!
    edited December 2014
    Drizzt Do'Urden:

imageimage
    Post edited by kcwise on
    edited December 2014
    Elminster:

imageimage
    Post edited by kcwise on
    edited December 2014
    Doppleganger:

imageimage
    Post edited by kcwise on
    edited December 2014
    Holy Avenger +5 (not in BG1, but just for fun posted here):

imageimage
    Post edited by kcwise on
  • macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    Not that I'm saying no on kcwise's behalf, but do you know what you're asking?

There are two thousand cards between the three sets, at least a third of them 'humanoids' (I don't know each set's breakdown between NPCs, items, and monsters). And they're copyrighted.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I love how in Elminster's equipment it specifically says "pipe." :D

Could you please scan all the humanoid cards, then crop them and make them into a portrait pack?

Thanks!

I'd love to do that, but I think it is a task beyond me.
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    Could you upload a few more at least? These are sweet :)
  • I have the 1992 set, good times.
    One thing I don't like about the art is that the artists aren't credited on the back of the card. Some of the artists worked their signatures into the image, but they deserve more than that since the images are the main draw of the cards.

Oh well, water long since passed under the bridge. If any of you are aware of the artists in any of these images, feel free to let us know who they are.
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    Looks like Drizzt just scored a touchdown on that one
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

Looks like Drizzt just scored a touchdown on that one

I think it is from the cover of Crystal Shard, first book of the Icewind Dale trilogy.

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yup. Got the book in front of me. I think he's supposed to be tracking, but... yeah, it does kind of look like he just made a touchdown.