Skip to content

No exploit of the tomes!

Hello,

in BGEE we can get tomes that increase stats permanently. However, I checked it is possible to use the tomes on your main character, then create a new game and import that character with the increased stats.
This means we can theoretically use the tomes over and over again with every new playthrough of BGEE, until we have 25 in every stat. As much as I understand how awesome that might be for the main character, I also think it is just a bad exploit of the tomes.
In my view the tomes of BGEE should only be useable once by the main character, who then can be properly imported to BG2EE. Using the tomes over and over again to get a character with a 25 in every stat is bad and weird.

I would like to get this fixed. Is it possible for the developers to change this in a way that the main character can use the tomes only once in BGEE as it is intended?

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    elminster said:

If people want to play through the game 6-7 times to get all their stats up to 25 they are more than welcome. But that is going to get boring fast.

Agreed, it's a playstyle choice. It'll probably ruin the game for them but those that want it can do so. Anyone with a modicum of restraint won't exploit it.

Also it would probably be mega hard if not impossible to stop anyway.
  • HenlikuothHenlikuoth Member Posts: 25
    Well, if you think this is like "working by design" I guess I can't do much about that. For me I just don't like that it is even possible like that. It somehow ruins the value of stats overall.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited December 2014
    I think it's called Freedom of Choice. There are many things that people do which I dislike but I have no right to try to stop them unless what they're doing is illegal.

One of the great things about this game is the freedom to play it any way you like and I for one get some petty satisfaction from finding a way to beat the system occasionally - but I don't do it over and over again.

Our world is already suffocating from political correctness and the last thing we need is more power to the Thought Police.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited December 2014
    wubble said:

elminster said:

If people want to play through the game 6-7 times to get all their stats up to 25 they are more than welcome. But that is going to get boring fast.

Agreed, it's a playstyle choice. It'll probably ruin the game for them but those that want it can do so. Anyone with a modicum of restraint won't exploit it.

Also it would probably be mega hard if not impossible to stop anyway.
    It wouldn't be difficult to prevent it (Though it also wouldn't be difficult for hackers to work around it either). You just have each tome set a specific flag for the character it affects when used, with each tome setting a different flag. You then make it so you can't use a tome that sets a flag that has already been set. Bam, even imported characters can't exploit the tomes anymore.

I'd be against this change though because it requires a player to make a conscious effort to exploit it, requires prior knowledge to exploit it (Unless you're really weird when it comes to experimenting with stuff) and it is (largely) a single player game for christ sake.

If you play online and someone has a 25/25/25/25 character than they've clearly used this exploit or Gatekeeper and you can just quit and find a different person to play with. Removing the exploit wouldn't stop Gatekeeper from working either so it's a pretty redundant effort to curb this kind of end result in the online multiplayer.
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    The pnp rule is that you can not play a game twice with the same character. Make a new character and go through.
    I'm going just bend some rules on my next playthrough. Deduct the 3 wisdom tomes and the con tome is +5.
    Because of the game plot there must be a bit of flexibility.