Skip to content

Javelins Weidu

artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
edited October 2014 in General Modding
Some people noticed that there where Javelins in the gamefiles. They work but the coding was not finished.

To make unloved items more loveable, I first put some work in Clubs. Now the spears are next, by fixing the ranged version, the JAVELIN . there is one in the game files, and it works. But the coding was not consistent with spears and trowing axes. I fixed that and put it in stores that sell spears (and in the missle store of the Black Pits).

Its Weidu, Try it out (it should work)

Its not for BG2:EE at the moment. soon it will be.
If you want to use it in bg2ee, you can delete the stores in the tp2. And replace them with the stores where you want to put them in.

If there is need for magical and/or returning javelins. I can make them!

Leave a Like or comment if you try it, because I have no way to now if there are downloaders. I like to know if my mods are used!

Post edited by artificial_sunlight on
JuliusBorisovGrammarsaladlolienKamigoroshiCrevsDaaksmeagolheartsine_locowolpakLoldrupZaghoul

Comments

• artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    More info coming soon :)

Please leave your ideas hints tips and comments below.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    WOOOOHOOO!
    lolien
    edited October 2014
    I need testers of course. And I will make some magical javelins, so ideas are welcome. My first find is this:
    http://dndtools.eu/items/magic-item-compendium--73/gloves-endless-javelins--193/
    So gloves of endless javelins.

I will also make my mods BG2:EE compatible, but I have never played BG:EE past the Naskel Mines. So I need more time to play :P Modding and testing just takes to much time.
    Post edited by artificial_sunlight on
    JuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
  • GuboGubo Member Posts: 75
    Neat! Especially gloves of endless javelins.
    lolien
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Just wow!

I definitly try this, if have the time! Great work @artificial_sunlight‌ !
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    1 handed should be tested more. And the gloves of endless javelins are not finished yet.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    you should make the gloves of endless javelins' projectile graphics glow (just tinted in some bright color) because the description says they are "made of force", rather than a material, conjured weapon

another simple idea for a magical javelin is a phasing javelin.

since javelins are hefty weapons they can sustain substantial combat enchantments and because they're mostly made of wood i associate with them nature-related/druidic proc's, for example:
    - save (weak) vs. entangle on hit
    - x% chance call lightning on hit
    - x% chance + save dolorous decay on hit
    - miscast magic, poison, elemental damage etc.
    - additional damage against some abberation type (beholders etc.)

another crazy idea for a high level item would be a javelin that passes through creatures (like a lightning bolt) ... but for that reason the strength requirement might be something like 22 :)

a powerful beastmaster-only javelin might be a good idea too
    JuliusBorisovartificial_sunlightlolien
    This are ideas that I need (any ideas for clubs @bob_veng‌ )
    Because I like modding but, I barely have time for testing, let alone playing. So I don't know what weapons are needed.

Spears with +2 vs undead and spiders (against drow :P) are needed I think. (A stake on a stick)
    lolienJuliusBorisovWithinAmnesia
    i wouldn't associate them with anti-undead properties because i've always seen undead as somehow inherently more resistant to ranged attacks (azuredge throwing axe is an exception but it's a slashing weapon)

bonus against spiders sounds nice. bonus against animals might also make sense because it's an archetypal hunting tool.
    lolien
    edited October 2014

any ideas for clubs

yeah i do have some :)
    a thief-only club that renders humanoid enemies unconscious on hit (save penalty), but only on backstabs (i don't know if it's possible to create this effect however)

also, a massive heavy club with 25% chance to drain two points of CON ("enfeebler +2")

maybe a club that deals additional damage to chaotic characters ("baton of repose +3") - sort of like a law-enforcement baton :)

or a head-shaped sceptre (effectively club) that taunts enemies and makes them ignore all other attackers (special ability, or mabe on-hit)

that gives me another idea unrelated to clubs... "bastard sword of the bastard" - when hit, female humanoids go berserk and ignore all other attackers :)
    JuliusBorisovartificial_sunlight
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

Massive club that throws back opponts, and the thief only club are nice ideas @bob_veng‌

I am working on de mod now:

Lightning short spear 2d6 lightning damage - x% chance call lightning on hit (in the works)
    Silvertip spear of Selune (only wieldable by neutral or good) (in the works)
    assassins short spear, become invisible when trown (limited availability)

Change all the weights from 5 => 2 (as per P&P)

I only need nice BAMs

Here are some Lightning short spear pics:

I can't select the lightning bolt Projectile only an spinning lightning flash (any ideas?)

Is that the animation? (my primary computer can't play the game)

Looks pretty cool
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Hmm, stupid question, but where can I find 1-handed javelins? I found only 2-handed version in Beregost.

As for clubs, I think that thief club that drops someone uncouncious (dealing no damage) after sneak attack would be cool.

And I think this game needs more throwing daggers. +1 and +2 versions, maybe also magic version that returns to owner.
    Grammarsalad
  • amyaeamyae Member Posts: 71
    Song and Silence (http://www.gibberlings3.net/sns/) has a thief store component that adds at least one returning throwing dagger.
    Kirkor
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    edited December 2014
    amyae said:

Song and Silence (http://www.gibberlings3.net/sns/) has a thief store component that adds at least one returning throwing dagger.

I checked out this mod today, but it doesn't work for me. It crashes my game when I enter Nashkel Carnival (it's the area where the merchant appears)
    Still, I've just thrown (no pun intended) an idea for more throwing weapons.
    lolien
    @Kirkor Sorry for the late reaction, but the notification hot drowned in AdventurY notifications.

1 handed javelins are not implemented. I did not have many reactions so I thought no one was using the mod. I have a bunch of half finished work, on 1 handed and magical javelins. But not much time to test.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • mediumvillainmediumvillain Member Posts: 1
    I tried using this mod; it's installed on BGEE currently and it "works" - as in, no crashes, the 2-handed javelin appears in store, is equippable, and I can change modes, but a couple issues:

So for one thing (and this is probably beyond the scope of the mod) the javelin is still considered a melee weapon for the purposes of party AI, so for instance using BP Series AI Scripts, the character will treat it as a melee weapon and switch to another ranged weapon instead of throwing a javelin. It does this sometimes with some other ranged weapons (like the Staff of Wizardry's ranged attack), so that's probably not something you could fix. But for two, the melee and ranged modes are labeled as the opposite for me; picking ranged causes the character to have 1 equipped javelin, close in and use melee attacks, picking melee shows the whole stack, but the character throws a javelin. Now, the character WILL attack with thrown javelins in melee mode (only if the AI script if turned off for the character or party AI is off), but the speed factor (labeled as 6) is fairly abysmal, 3-5 seconds standing still between attacks - it's like using a crossbow with gimped bolts. Druids are better off using a +1 sling with enchanted bullets for ranged combat.

If javelins were a little faster and did more damage, particularly if they were 1-handed so Druids could use them with bucklers, and if you made some unique or enchanted versions, then they might be worth using, but as of right now it's mostly just an impractical novelty.

I like the club mod. If you decided to follow through with making new, fully functional javelins, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to use them. I definitely like the idea of lightning and anti-undead javelins (someone should make anti-undead/vampire "stakes" as crossbow ammo).
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    @mediumvillain thanks for your reaction. I appriciate every feedback, if I can make time in the next few days I will look in to the problems.
    lolien
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited June 2015
    [Spoiler]

Massive club that throws back opponts, and the thief only club are nice ideas @bob_veng‌

I am working on de mod now:

Lightning short spear 2d6 lightning damage - x% chance call lightning on hit (in the works)
    Silvertip spear of Selune (only wieldable by neutral or good) (in the works)
    assassins short spear, become invisible when trown (limited availability)

Change all the weights from 5 => 2 (as per P&P)

I only need nice BAMs

Here are some Lightning short spear pics:

I can't select the lightning bolt Projectile only an spinning lightning flash (any ideas?)

[/Spoiler]"I only need nice BAMs." Did I 'Hear' You Say B.A.M.s @artificial_sunlight ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    ^ Behold My Improved B.A.M. Files!
    I think that I can help you out good sir. Or Madam, Kobald or Gibberling.. *Tilts Head - Inquisitive Eye* Dwarf?

So what are you looking for? Also what and how many 'spearish' (That English) items are in need of "nice BAMs" [good person(s)]?
  • ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    I think many people are interested in this mod, but they don't post in the thread necessarily. Hopefully you will continue your work :-).
    Kamigoroshilolien
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    This is super beautiful and should be more fully developed and coordinated.
    No time no time......
    lolien
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2017
    @artificial_sunlight

I see that you have been active on the forum lately, so at the risk certainty of committing threadomancy, have you had a chance to work on this mod lately? Is it available for BG2ee now? I love the idea of javelins. The lightning spear especially would be an amazing item for a Talos cleric.
    Grammarsalad
    I'm going to second that emotion
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Pretty cool. Works great.
    Grammarsalad
    I have not played and modded for a long time @rrchristensen @Grammarsalad @Zaghoul but if any of you want to take over the Javelins project I can help you with recources and ideas.
    KamigoroshiGrammarsalad
    edited May 2017

I have not played and modded for a long time @rrchristensen @Grammarsalad @Zaghoul but if any of you want to take over the Javelins project I can help you with recources and ideas.

I totally want to take this over!!!

Edit: obviously, if you don't want to continue with it!

Edit2: and yes, @artificial_sunlight , i would love to get my hands on any unfinished work. I'll be happy to complete it
    ZaghoulKamigoroshi
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Grammarsalad Yes please do. I enjoy the mod Bout all I can mod is my churchwarden and a good cup o rum n coffee. As many ideas as. I have for various mod ideas it would be nice if I knew how though.

@WarChiefZeke did a great one handed javelin and shield combo for his Ishlilka mod. The throwing graphic is right on it for that.
    WarChiefZekeGrammarsalad
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    You are more than welcome to use her throwing javelin as a template, if you so desire. :)
    Grammarsalad