Skip to content

What's your favourite fix (feature) from the 1.3 patch?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
It has finally happened! The patch we all have been waiting for a year, is out now (at least, as the beta). The patch notes are here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/35905/road-to-v1-3-survey-and-discussion#latest

The number of fixes and additions in this patch is overwhelming. The Team have made tremendous work. If BG2EE in its prior-to-the patch version were a vanilla game, we could call BG2EE as of the 1.3 version an Enhanced Edition alone.

Let's share our joy here and discuss which fix (feature) from this patch we like the most :)

My choice:

3. Improved multiplayer stability and fixes. I play with my wife in a multiplayer, so this will help tremendously.

2. Importing romances from BG1 and importing variables in mods in general. So many options for the modders. Also, Dorn will remember now how it was bloody in BG1.

1. Improved pathfinding. Maybe the cornerstone of IE games. I would dare say it's the Enhancement of enhancements regarding these games.

Enhancement number Zero:

A unique item icon for the Robe of Vecna image

Comments

• ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    well for me the multiplayer fix by far.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Well there's a whole lot to pick from and I've always sucked at picking favourites.

But being able to finally progress due to Slayer not crashing the game is nice. I've started a new game anyhow, but yeah, that showstopper being gone is good.
    Vakarian said:

This. I can't begin to count how many times I've forgotten to go back and prepare spells again after being level drained.

Urgh yes. It's one of the reasons I made the switch to sorcerer actually, what with half the population of the game having level drains.
  • Vakarian said:

"In addition, losing spell slots no longer clears the selections for those spells, meaning that when you recover from Level Drain, all it takes is a single Rest and your spellcaster will be back in business."

This. I can't begin to count how many times I've forgotten to go back and prepare spells again after being level drained. Also looking forward to trying out the improved pathfinding.

This by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Level drain was the biggest pain in Vanilla BG2

Does this work with equiping/unequiping weapons with bonus spells???
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    For me it is definitely the improved pathfinding as I often split my group in two with one party moving around off screen (e.g. moving my scout slowly forwards while the main group follows in bursts of speed - saves a lot of time when exploring potentially dead ends).
  • A_MullerA_Muller Member Posts: 12
    Definitely Improved pathfinding.
    I use Ctrl+Y a LOT when moving around in already explored areas since the characters will take forever to get where they're going otherwise.
    Now I might end this fould cheat-key usage...

Read most of the document but didn't see any mentions of Item descriptions filled with "Invalid [insert 5-numbers here]" instead of the actual item descriptions.... A true shame
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Being able to import variables and seeing your party member's Hit Points like in IwD.
    elminster said:

Who knows if any mod will actually ever take advantage of this

Well, I probably will… Once I finish the BG1 part of the mod, of course, hehe.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    CrevsDaak said:

Being able to import variables and seeing your party member's Hit Points like in IwD.

elminster said:

Who knows if any mod will actually ever take advantage of this

Well, I probably will… Once I finish the BG1 part of the mod, of course, hehe.
    I've been looking into using it as well for this

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37704/the-eve-of-war-conceptual-idea

But we will see if that ever comes about :)
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited December 2014
    Well I took a look at Baldur.ini and I am very surprised!

Some features from IWD:EE have been ported over to BG2EE! So far I've seen proof of:

-A working Heart of Fury mode that actually gives more XP on kills! It doesn't increase quest XP though, and I can't really tell if it improves enemies' stats, but it DOES beef them up in the HP department.
    -Disable cosmetic attacks
    -Maximum HP on level
    -Show character HP in portraits
    -Cleric/Rangers optionally getting druid spells
    -3e sneak attack, not sure if this one works though.

I've been waiting for a Heart of Fury mode for BG2 and now its here! Best update yet! <3
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Yes, those features are very exciting, @Flashburn‌ ! The mere fact now these features are possible makes the EE of BG2 now more unique, more different to the vanilla game.

These features are discussed here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37833/a-bunch-of-neat-baldur-ini-options-in-bg2ee-1-3-that-ive-noticed-carry-overs-from-iwdee#latest As that thread shows, some features are not "ready" to work fluently in BG2EE so far but the main thing here is the principal availability of these enhancements. The time will pass and they'll work fine : )
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Whoops, I got so excited that I didn't bother to look if anyone else had found them. :sweat_smile:
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    @Dee‌
    Could you please tell me are you planning to release a quick-patch for most annoying issue that appeared after release of 1.3 patch? (BG2EE) Especially issue in regard to game mechanics
    (ie: incorrect APR duration -tagged as #11061 or issue #11042)
    #11061 is very irritating for arcane characters using these spells :neutral_face:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    And this is it! The patch has been out for less than 4 days and the first questions regarding next patches have started to appear ; ) The Devs have made a tremendous job while making this patch but there're always some problems left.

I think the game can be played now, even if there're some minor things that are not perfect. The Devs should have a good rest after everything they've done and come back at the start of next year. Let them spend their time with their friends and relatives a bit, @Parys‌ , let them enjoy Christmas holidays: )

As far as I understand it, there won't be any quick fix. Once they're ready, they'll release a new beta build and it will then be further testested, the new bugs will be found, another new beta build will be released, other new bugs will be found... Till they'll make sure there's nothing left to fix. Only then, I think, the new patch update will come.
    bengoshi said:

The Devs should have a good rest after everything they've done and come back at the start of next year. Let them spend their time with their friends and relatives a bit, Parys‌ , let them enjoy Christmas holidays: )

If I understood things correctly on the twitch stream, that's exactly what's next on the agenda. So we won't be seeing any hotfixes or patches in what's left of the year most likely.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Any fixes to the new NPCs' quests are my favorite. Just rolled my shiny new Jester, have recruited Korgan, Hexxat, Jan, and Viconia, and am about to recruit Dorn. Here goes! :)
  • StormcrowStormcrow Member Posts: 4
    Definitely quick loot without moving and proper stacking, and no longer needing to add spells after level drain. Less time wasted playing inventory management :)
  • StormcrowStormcrow Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2014
    jackjack said:

Any fixes to the new NPCs' quests are my favorite. Just rolled my shiny new Jester, have recruited Korgan, Hexxat, Jan, and Viconia, and am about to recruit Dorn. Here goes! :)

Oooh, evil party, hehe. Never tried going evil as I love to play goody two-shoes :wink:
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    I haven't tried playing with it yet, but after looking at the readme I'd have to say that the best change is the improvements to the pathfinding. That was a major annoyance for me while playing the game. I hope that change makes it to the other two games before long as well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014
    Stormcrow said:

Definitely quick loot without moving and proper stacking

I'm playing it now and I have to say also this. So much this.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The genie having an item you once owned. That one extra import changes which weapon I am holding when I defeat Saravok.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Half-Orcs getting their much needed infravision is my favourite fix by far. And I can't wait until this will be ported over to BGEE as well.
  • SionaSiona Member Posts: 79
    Without a doubt, my favorite is the vorpal werewolf fix for the circus. Thus far I'd only been able to have Airie as a companion if I chose an inquisitor.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Most looking forward to the save-game corruption fix, when this finally arrives on the Mac App store. Meanwhile enjoying reading everyone else's reaction to the patch-to-end-all-patches (at least until the next one :wink: )
  • MelinothMelinoth Member Posts: 2
    I haven't played since the patch, so for now I will say the pathfinding.