Skip to content

Don't doubt the Bard

2»

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Yeah, I never use the song, except in a pinch, during BGEE.
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Draekin said:

There's just too much of a negative connotation with bards.

I think the problem is that the bard is seen as some sort of theatre kid gone rogue... which doesn't seem too imposing. If the special ability of the class had been "intimidation" or "inspiration" rather than "singing", I think that negative connotation never would have come about.

As much as D&D fans or role-players like to believe that they are able to overcome silly labels and names and roleplay their character to their liking (e.g. instead of singing, my bard is going to be an inspiring leader whose charisma boosts the morale of the party, through the power of his magnetic presence)... it just doesn't happen that way. People hear the term "singing" and no matter how they try to roleplay it, singing just seems a little less-than-manly compared to a skill called "berserk".

And in the hostile, monster-filled, barbarian axe-wielding, skull crushing setting of D&D, some of these labels can't be overcome.
    You just have to think of the context your RPing in....BG is a FR series game. One of the most powerful orgs in the Realms are the Harpers. Nuff said... :)
    jackjack
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Nice man and you didn't even max out all "critical" stats (not that str is really that critical to a bard really) :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • DraekinDraekin Member Posts: 40
    Wilbur said:

Nice man and you didn't even max out all "critical" stats (not that str is really that critical to a bard really) :)

Yeah, I wanted to play a more wise character concept rather than just a no common sense brute. For any character wielding magic, I feel wisdom should be very important to know when and how to use such power.

When I roll mages I give them 16 to 18 wisdom as well, even though it's less critical.
    jackjackBlackravenJuliusBorisovWilbur
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639

I DM a group of six some Saturdays. The exchange went down like this on character creation:
    Him: "Barbarian...Bard (don't be a bard, bards suck)..."
    Me: "No they don't!"
    Him: "You like bards?"

Basically, they make fun of me for liking bards. I wouldn't say I would choose to play a bard, but I advocate their versatility and well-roundedness. So I made the DM recurring NPC a bard, just to screw with them.

I think the problem is that lots of people say bards are bad, when they aren't at all, and once someone realizes that it's news. There's just too much of a negative connotation with bards.

It's obvious what must be done is that a new prestige class, the 'Bardarian', must be made. Where a Bard practices the art of battle raging to frighten and discourage his foes while encouraging allies to attack more viciously, while also getting the d12 Hit die roll :)
    BlackravenelminsterJuliusBorisov
  • DraekinDraekin Member Posts: 40

I DM a group of six some Saturdays. The exchange went down like this on character creation:
    Him: "Barbarian...Bard (don't be a bard, bards suck)..."
    Me: "No they don't!"
    Him: "You like bards?"

Basically, they make fun of me for liking bards. I wouldn't say I would choose to play a bard, but I advocate their versatility and well-roundedness. So I made the DM recurring NPC a bard, just to screw with them.

I think the problem is that lots of people say bards are bad, when they aren't at all, and once someone realizes that it's news. There's just too much of a negative connotation with bards.

It's obvious what must be done is that a new prestige class, the 'Bardarian', must be made. Where a Bard practices the art of battle raging to frighten and discourage his foes while encouraging allies to attack more viciously, while also getting the d12 Hit die roll :)
    Bard backwards is Drab. That can't help matters either.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Exactly: Bard is the opposite of drab!
    elminsterDraekinJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hmmm... Seems a certain bard gives an insight into a drab:

http://bardblog.com/wotd-drab/

Who would have guessed?
    jackjack