Skip to content

Level adder v0.5

CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
edited November 2015 in General Modding
SOME INFORMATION:

This magical shit adds X (with X being the number you enter at installation time for each choice) to every single 'Classed' enemy (every single non-joinable NPC that has a class the PC can also use/be), which makes them more powerful if you later install SCS (and don't disable it from correcting all the mistakes in the creatures' proper stats for their levels).
I think that this is a must for BG1, because it's very easy, but watch out, you can get a level 5 Carbos at Candlekeep if you choose to add 4 levels to every single Thief (single class thief) in the game, also, don't blame me if Tarnesh starts casting level 5 spells of stuff like that.
You'll be asked for every single class, only Sorcerers will get the same as Mages.

It also gives the user the option to install one of the "Multiply HP by X" components to make the game (stupidly) harder (it's recommended to install this particular component AFTER BG2Tweaks' "Max HP for every creature", the rest should be installed before).

COMPATIBILITY:

It's compatible with everything, since it copies and changes one (or two or three, depends on the class) single bytes of the CRE files, which does not cause issues (as far as I know).

It will only work in BG2/BGEE engines, that means no BG1, IWD nor PS:T.

I recommend installing this after mods that add Quests or new creatures/enemies/quest givers to the game, . It's completely useless unless (redundancy!) you use SCS, it's recommended to install the BG2Tweaks' "Max HP for every creature in the game" component, which will use the modifications done by this mod, so your level 5 Carbos will get 30 HP.

KNOWN ISSUES:

Until now, I can point that SCS has a level override feature for several creatures in the game, they won't get the bonus, they will be set to the level SCS points them.

APPENDIX:
-This won't affect the game much if you don't later use SCS & the BG2Tweaks component named "Max HP for all creatures in the game".
-Please don't blame me because now all the mages have a 21 levels bonus.
-Don't message me, use this thread instead if you need to say something about this.
-THIS IS THE README. Surprise! It's short but it says all it has to say.

Updated to v0.4. Now Clerics don't get their level bonus twice.

Updated to v0.5, now the mod installs, no longer ships a copy of WeiDU.

Download.
Post edited by CrevsDaak on
AstroBryGuyelminsterErgGoturalEdvinJuliusBorisovRAM021FoggyWilburjackjackCuvlunarDexterAbdel_AdrianSmilingSwordAbellolienGrammarsaladFlashburn

Comments

• EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    This sounds like a very interesting modification. Can be safely uninstalled?
    I would hate if I had to uninstall the whole game. ( If i will not satisfied )
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Edvin‌ it doesn't cause any problems and uninstalls fine.
    JuliusBorisovelminsterjackjack
    @CrevsDaak
    Technical question:

DMG is not such a big problem, because enemies on highest difficulty can hit really hard, but you'd be able to do something what multiplied health of all enemies? (at least twice)
    @Edvin‌ yes I could do that, even with more options (like by 3, 4 or even 5 if you're that daring). It'll be the first thing I'll do when I get to the computer.
    Edvin
    edited October 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

@Edvin‌ yes I could do that, even with more options (like by 3, 4 or even 5 if you're that daring). It'll be the first thing I'll do when I get to the computer.

YES! Thank you very much!
    The level and damage are not everything if you can kill a lich or dragon on few hits. :-)
    Post edited by Edvin on
    @Edvin‌ done :) I attached it to the first post on this thread.
    This time I didn't include a copy of WeiDU so you'll have to get one from here or rename one from other mod.

Also, watch out, because for some reason I can't delete the old archive :\ stupid vanilla!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    "level adder"

So basically it's the snake level, huh?
    CrevsDaakjackjack
  • AmeranthftwAmeranthftw Member Posts: 57
    Does this also increase the EXP value of enemies slain?
    @Ameranthftw‌ nope. It just multiplies their HP and set their level to a higher one (which as I said in the original post, doesn't change much if you don't use SCS and BG2Tweaks' "Max HP for all creatures" component) so they are more powerful since the vanilla game is too easy for some (me included).
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    If you only want mages and/or priests, you can do this via the ini file of SCS (check the readme).
    CrevsDaaklunar
    edited December 2014
    Updated to v0.5. Download.
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
    JuliusBorisovjackjackelminster
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    @CrevsDaak‌

I would like to try this mod out, but I'm getting the following error message. Any idea what is causing this?

[C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00766\setup-7c#addlevel.exe] WeiDU version
    In state 754, I expected one of these tokens:
    [2] ~~
    [361] DOLLARS
    [381] EVALUATE_BUFFER
    Parse error (state 754) at LPAREN

[7C#ADDLEVEL/7C#ADDLEVEL.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 416 column 1-26
    Near Text: (
    GLR parse error

[7C#ADDLEVEL/7C#ADDLEVEL.TP2] ERROR at line 416 column 1-26
    Near Text: (
    Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: parsing [7C#ADDLEVEL/7C#ADDLEVEL.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: problem parsing TP file [7C#ADDLEVEL/7C#ADDLEVEL.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error

FATAL ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error

Press ENTER to exit.
    CrevsDaakjackjack
    @Wilbur‌ sorry, I forgot to debug a bunch of code. I added the new version to the OP, thanks for reporting that error :)
    jackjackWilburelminsterSmilingSword
    CrevsDaak said:

@Wilbur‌ sorry, I forgot to debug a bunch of code. I added the new version to the OP, thanks for reporting that error :)

Thank you @CrevsDaak‌ for the quick response! The new zip seems to lack an exe file however and I don't know how to install it. I can't use Weidu if that's what is required.
    @Wilbur‌ get a copy of WeiDU from here and rename the executable named weidu.exe into setup-7c#addlevel.exe and place it in the directory with the chitin.key (which is where you should have extracted the mod's folder).

Sorry I didn't include the executable; I completely forgot about it, lol.
    elminsterWilburjackjack
    @CrevsDaak Thank you, got it working!
    CrevsDaakjackjack
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    Weidu sucks
    reddwarf
    T2av said:

Weidu sucks

I know, that's why next versions of this mod are going to be released in the VAX architecture's assembler language.
    T2av
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    CrevsDaak said:

T2av said:

Weidu sucks

I know, that's why next versions of this mod are going to be released in the VAX architecture's assembler language.
    Thank you
    CrevsDaak
  • who_is_danielwho_is_daniel Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 98
    edited July 2015
    If I install this on my computer running windows and then copy the new game save file and the override directory to my android phone would it work?

If I install this on my computer running windows and then copy the new game save file and the override directory to my android phone would it work?

No idea (haven't tried with Android, only to iOS), but I suppose it would work alright.
  • who_is_danielwho_is_daniel Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 98
    Thank you
    CrevsDaak
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    This is perfect, just reached that point in BG where nothing is dangerous anymore and I can just let the standard attack script do all the fighting for me. This is gonna be so much fun, thank you very much.
    T2av
    @SmilingSword you should use SCS (all of it :D) and BG2 Tweak's Max HP for every creature mod/components to actually make this work. This just raises enemies' LEVEL, not their THAC0, spells nor saves nor anything (maybe one day it will, but since SCS already does so I don't see the need to implement it myself too).
    SmilingSword
    edited July 2015
    I do use SCS and the max HP bit of tweaks, um do you have a working link to the installer thing? I went to the site, but the download says "file not found" :(

When I said I'm at the point where BG loses all challenge it's the point where your in Baldur's Gate, but haven't done any of ToSC bit yet, although come to think of it, once you've done ToSC it kinda loses much of it's challenge because all the bosses are so very gimmicky and easily countered.

Also I'm very guilty of making munchkin CHARNAME's who would be fine soloing but have a party anyway. My current is a fighter/assassin and he is just wrong. I really can't help myself, it's a problem.

I do use SCS and the max HP bit of tweaks, um do you have a working link to the installer thing? I went to the site, but the download says "file not found" :(

Dunno, but http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/ works for me. Maybe you were trying to download the previous version from http://www.weidu.org/.

(You can also use another mod's by making a copy and renaming it.)
    (Also remember that it won't make much effect if you don't install it before SCS and the max HP tweak.)

When I said I'm at the point where BG loses all challenge it's the point where your in Baldur's Gate, but haven't done any of ToSC bit yet, although come to think of it, once you've done ToSC it kinda loses much of it's challenge because all the bosses are so very gimmicky and easily countered.

Also I'm very guilty of making munchkin CHARNAME's who would be fine soloing but have a party anyway. My current is a fighter/assassin and he is just wrong. I really can't help myself, it's a problem.

Hahaha yeah. I get that same feeling very often. That's why I created this mod originally—when I play solo I reach up to 1.5M XP in BG1, since I complete everything and farm Wyverns/Ankhegs—, to make end-game enemies more than a joke (some get freaking dangerous, like Slythe and Kristin (were those the names? I'm referring to the assassins in the Undercellar in Chapter 7, but I haven't played since a long time... Which is less than 6 months but still a lot), but others still aren't challenging) to a solo character (I rarely play with parties, and when I do I never end them).
    SmilingSwordwho_is_daniel
    Thanks
    CrevsDaak
  • ZoGarthZoGarth Member Posts: 47
    cool... I'm gonna use this mod on my next run through
    CrevsDaak
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2015
    if i was to add five levels to fighters, how much levels should i add to other classes in order to keep the difficulty increase consistent?

i suppose thieves should get around 7-8 bonus levels, but mages maybe just 2-3 (with conservative scs options & improved encounters), right?

edit: also, could someone tell me which are some of the most common "non-classed" enemies? i don't have the game installed right now...
    bob_veng said:

if i was to add five levels to fighters, how much levels should i add to other classes in order to keep the difficulty increase consistent?

i suppose thieves should get around 7-8 bonus levels, but mages maybe just 2-3 (with conservative scs options & improved encounters), right?

I think you should give Mages at least 3 (or 2), but that might make some early BG1 battles too hard. IMO, that's up to you. Thieves are OK with 6 levels, since more might make some BG1 battles (the one against the Assassins in the Undercellar for example) get insanely hard if you give them more levels. You should give Paladins and Ranger at least one more level than Fighters, and Druids and Priests 3, 4 or even 5 (you choose, it's almost the same for Priests, might make Faldorn in BG2 unbeatable).
    bob_veng said:

edit: also, could someone tell me which are some of the most common "non-classed" enemies? i don't have the game installed right now...

Well, Undead for sure. Actually very few enemies that aren't Humanoids (not to say any) have a class. And most Humanoids don't either.