Skip to content

Importing/Exporting on droid

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
How can characters be imported/exported from BG to BGII on droid? The game seems great so far but emotionally I'm detached because the characters just aren't my own.

Comments

• AchmellAchmell Member Posts: 3
    We android players need our own forum.
    I have the same question, with many others
  • FitschivalryFitschivalry Member Posts: 9
    I also have the exact same question and asked it on a thread here
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Noloir said:

How can characters be imported/exported from BG to BGII on droid? The game seems great so far but emotionally I'm detached because the characters just aren't my own.

You need to move your save/character file from the "/sdcard/Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/" folder to the "/sdcard/Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/" folder. After that you can import like normal.
  • Airman1991Airman1991 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 50
    edited December 2014
    @Noloir‌ @Achmell‌ @Fitschivalry‌
    I typically use the Dropbox app to move imports. It is also good to move saves across different devices including from PC to Android and so forth.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Appreciate it! Still experiencing a bit of technical issues with my potraits. Purchased and installed all of the in-store portraits for BG:EE but they don't appear in BG:EE's app files. BGII:EE won't successfully load my Final Save or main character without the custom portraits transferred.
    I tried what @cmk24‌ said but it would not copy. How exactly do you use drop box @Airman1991‌ ? Thanks for the help
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Using Astro, you can copy the savegame or character file from your BGEE folder to your BG2EE folder. Worked fine for me.
  • bdh77bdh77 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a wicked noob. Been playing ad&d 2nd pen and paper for about 25 years I also played the goldbox games back in the day but am new to this engine. I started playing on my laptop. I just noticed its out on android so I bought it. Can I copy my saved games from computer to android and vice versa? Also is it possible to export my character from pc and use him in a new bg2ee hoa single player on my android? I'm finding it not to hard to learn. It looked a little over whelming but because I knew the basic rules, monsters and spells from the pen and paper game I only had to learn the interface. Thank you in advanced for any help its greatly preciate it
    mumumomo said:

Using Astro, you can copy the savegame or character file from your BGEE folder to your BG2EE folder. Worked fine for me.

Using droid alone or is a computer absolutely necessary for file transfers?
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    bdh77 said:

I'm a wicked noob. Been playing ad&d 2nd pen and paper for about 25 years I also played the goldbox games back in the day but am new to this engine. I started playing on my laptop. I just noticed its out on android so I bought it. Can I copy my saved games from computer to android and vice versa? Also is it possible to export my character from pc and use him in a new bg2ee hoa single player on my android? I'm finding it not to hard to learn. It looked a little over whelming but because I knew the basic rules, monsters and spells from the pen and paper game I only had to learn the interface. Thank you in advanced for any help its greatly preciate it

The same save game/character file format is used across all platforms, you just need to make sure you place them in the correct directory for the given platform (Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\ for windows, /sdcard/Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/save/ for android, etc...).

@Fitschivalry it is strange that you can't copy the files, you should not need any special permissions (aka root) to edit the content of those folders. I am able to move files between the two games using the default android file browser, although my tablet is running ICS, things may be a bit different for newer version of android.
    Figured out how to transfer by trial and error. For Droid users, tap the app button and seach for your android files. Seek out Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and BGII:EE. Might have to shift through a few files before locating the two but they're there. Pull up the two app's files, drag and droo your Final Save file into BGII EE's save file. If your main character has a custom portrait (like this avatar portrait for instance) create a new game with a new character possessing the same portrait. Save the game and name it distinctively then head back to BGI's file info, ooen the saved game file, then drag and drop the portrait into BGIIEE's portrait file. To access custom portraits when making a new character once the picture panel arises there will be a custom button right below the character image. This isn't the most in depth explaination but I trust that everyone here is bright enough to figure it out by air.
    I figured it out thanks guys. My tablet has an inbuilt file manager i was unaware of. I simply had to use that to copy the save as described above. Thanks for all the help.

I figured it out thanks guys. My tablet has an inbuilt file manager i was unaware of. I simply had to use that to copy the save as described above. Thanks for all the help.

Right?! Wasn't aware how to access my droid's saved files until this weekend. The droid interface is complicated for no reason it seems. It was a delight, glad you could benefit!
  • EndlesswaveEndlesswave Member Posts: 28
    Hello all, so I've been trying to do this all day from my emailed save games from my iPad to my amazon fire 8. But it's not working. any help? Doesn't let me use baldur s gate to read the saved file nor tell the saved file to be opened y baldur s gate 2 EE. Any ideas? Pls help!
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited January 2020
    Hi @Endlesswave, I don't own an iPad so I am unsure what format the emailed saved file is in but... so I am just guessing here!

If the email has been zipped up, then it will need to be unzipped. From what I have read on the forum, the extension for the emailed file is something like 'filename.bg1save'. If you rename it to something like filename.zip or filename.bg1save.zip, you should be able to open the file and copy the contents to /Gamename/Files/Save in the Android file system.

You didn't mention what games you were playing. From the brief description above, it looks as if you are taking your BG1 saved games for importing into BG2. If that is the case, then you it is likely will need to place your saved games into the BG1 file structure for importing into BG2.

Hope that makes sense. If not just ask and I will see if explaing a little better.
    Gus

Edit: I just downloaded one of the saved games that iPad posts and it is in .zip format. If you have any problems changing the filename, then the saved game file can be directly opened using 'RAR for Android' (free from Play). It is missing the initial folder however (and the .bmp files inside - not sure whether this is normal but that is how it was for this saved game). So when you save the game into the folder you are probably going to have to create another folder called something like:
    /Gamename/Files/Save/000000001-BG1SavedGame

The /Gamename/Files/Save/ file path should already exist once you run the game once on the Android tablet. If /Save doesn't exist you can simply create it. You need to have the leading zeros for the saved game name.

Let me know if you have any problems.
  • EndlesswaveEndlesswave Member Posts: 28
    Was playing BGEE 2 on my ipad 2nd generation . Would email myself the saved games (as a bg2save etc file name as you said above )and play on my iphone 8. It was alright until the map screen crashed, still doesn't work, so I figured I'd grab a smaller tablet to replace trying to play on my phone.

I downloaded another file zip/unzip program and tried that way as well (on the amazon tablet) still didn't work. The fire just didn't know how to read any of those files. Zipped or not.

I also couldn't "long hold" the quick save button to export a saved file that way like you're supposed to be able to do.

So all of this just drove me crazy, ended up returning the fire 8 and I'm looking for an ipad mini now...

Still have the reg ipad I mentioned earlier, everything works. Had a character turned into *perma chunks" bug earlier but someone off here fixed it (via a mod I think).

Anyway, thanks for all your help!