Skip to content

Alora rant

So thieves are important in Baldur's Gate. If you don't believe that, try doing without one for half a game, at which point you will be willing to accept just about any thief into your party. Which is how I ended up with Alora.

Whose bright idea was it to make one a six year old one of the two good-aligned thieves in the game? Did someone think that would make the game more appealing to children? I suppose it probably does, but dear Lord! She is driving me slightly nuts.

Its hard to imagine her being more annoying than she already is.

I could turn character sounds off, but I have a bad habit of accidentally commanding the wrong character (particularly after I've left the inventory screen) so I kinda need the verbal confirmation that I have told the right character to do what I want.
KamigoroshiCrevsDaakjackjacklolien

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Worst.Dedication.In.BG.Ever! Urgh...

I'm only happy enough when I see Alora suffering an untimely and brutal death. Such as getting drowned in a mine or something... oh, yes! :smiley:
    jackjackdemented
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • simAlitysimAlity Member Posts: 64
    edited December 2014
    I didn't realize Coran was a thief. I thought he was a ranger and a not-good ranger to boot.

Shows what I know. But then I've only played the game a handful of times.

You say Alora is awesome. Please educate me. What is so awesome about her?

In fairness, I did lol a little when she did the, "Come on people, smile on your brother..." line.
    lolien
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I love Alora! She's quite possibly my favorite thief. I like to summoner her in early sometimes.
    lolien
    Okay, but why? What do you love about her? What does she bring to the game that Imoen doesn't or can't?
    CrevsDaak
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Alora's a fantastic thief in terms of her thieving stats. Her special item quite seriously makes her the best thief in the game in terms of skills. Of course I still prefer Coran for the most part as my full time thief after Imoen dual-classes, but Coran starts with rather crappy point allocations and if you do dual-class Imoen you have to suffer down-time with her.

simAlityCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    I'll grant that she's a good pickpocket and a first rate locksmith. She can even set a trap and is a decent archer. But with just 19 hit points (at level 6!) she can't stand the heat plus she's weak as a kitten. You can knock her over with a feather.

A good thief, in my mind, should be able to double as a scout and hold their own in a skirmish. Otherwise they are no good in the field. To that end, I kitted Alora out in Shadow Armor and armed her with the Dagger of Venom and Protector of Dryads. She still spends most of her time on the brink of death. *Aerie in the circus tent* is made of tougher stuff. Heck, my PC is harder to kill she's a wild mage!

And what sort of battle cry is, "Play nice!"???

lolien
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    The starting HP of some characters (like Xzar and Alora) really bothers me. Could they at least have average HP for their level (which would be 23.5 for Alora and 16.5 for Xzar, round down if it really bothers you)?

At least she can gain another 24 HP through level ups.

Her luck charm should mean that she'll get critical hits more than any other character and do more damage on backstabs (low strength doesn't effect backstab damage much as it isn't multiplied). Grab the weapon expertise gauntlets, cast strength (of one) and equip a +3 weapon and she should do excellent damage. Just a pity you can't get her at level 3 to give her staff and THF'ing proficiency.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    Well I'm personally really like her voice. Even set her voice to one of my BP2-party.
    It's kinda fun then she chunk somebody and while enemy's pieces of corpse fly around she's like
    "HAPPY HAPPY! JOY JOY!"
    Makes me smile everytime, muahaha.
    elminsterlolien
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    Paladin said:

Did you see that Alora made it into the Lego Movie?

Definitely my favorite character as well from the movie XD
    Wowosmeagolheartlolien
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Vallmyr said:

Paladin said:

Did you see that Alora made it into the Lego Movie?

Definitely my favorite character as well from the movie XD
    Marry a marshmallow.
    VallmyrsimAlity
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I always thought she would have made a great CE character.
    I'm still new to D&D. What is a CE character?
    lolien
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    edited December 2014
    simAlity said:

I'll grant that she's a good pickpocket and a first rate locksmith. She can even set a trap and is a decent archer. But with just 19 hit points (at level 6!) she can't stand the heat plus she's weak as a kitten. You can knock her over with a feather.

A good thief, in my mind, should be able to double as a scout and hold their own in a skirmish. Otherwise they are no good in the field. To that end, I kitted Alora out in Shadow Armor and armed her with the Dagger of Venom and Protector of Dryads. She still spends most of her time on the brink of death. *Aerie in the circus tent* is made of tougher stuff. Heck, my PC is harder to kill she's a wild mage!

Haer'Dalis, Aerie, and Viconia get it a lot harder in BG2 with the much more ferocious enemies (though to be fair they have various protections they can use on themselves), and other than some backstabbing jerks and mages with AoE blasts late in the game or its expansions, there's rarely an occasion I can think of where she would get hurt in the back-lines much anyway. Coran in my latest playthrough, for example, used the least amount of healing potions out of the entire group, and all he did was snipe people with the +2 Longbow all day.

Also there's the re-location mods that let you get Alora in Gullykin instead of Baldur's Gate, which lets you circumvent her terrible HP-per-level growth to an extent.
    VallmyrBlades
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    @simAlity‌ A CE character is a Chaotic Evil character - meaning that his or her alignment (moral stance) is chaotic evil.
    jackjack
    Yeah I'm familiar with the alignment table. I just hadn't seen a Chaotic Evil character referred to as a CE before. Like I said, I'm still new. But not *that* new. :smile:
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122

simAlity said:

Haer'Dalis, Aerie, and Viconia get it a lot harder in BG2 with the much more ferocious enemies (though to be fair they have various protections they can use on themselves), and other than some backstabbing jerks and mages with AoE blasts late in the game or its expansions, there's rarely an occasion I can think of where she would get hurt in the back-lines much anyway. Coran in my latest playthrough, for example, used the least amount of healing potions out of the entire group, and all he did was snipe people with the +2 Longbow all day.

Also there's the re-location mods that let you get Alora in Gullykin instead of Baldur's Gate, which lets you circumvent her terrible HP-per-level growth to an extent.
    Coran is bad a**. I think his thac0 was 2 by the time I was done with BG

jackjackmeagloth
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Not talking about Alora personnality, the problem is that pure thieves suck horribly compared to multi/duals.

As a matter of fact you need very few thief levels to get most of the class (which is find trap IMO) and a few more levels to get other nice additions (set snares, backstab).

Therefore, Imoen and Coran being able to dual and multiclass respectively are much better from a mechanical point of view.

Finally, both imoen and Coran have great stats and (especially for imoen) can be fully tweaked in terms of thieving points.
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167

n.n

... I'm sooo sweet, I've got rotting teeth and gums! :u

I wonder if you could replace her sound files somehow?

And, yeh, sure she's crazy - but she's not the only crazy one in the game! XD She kinda grew on me, like Sparkle from Wizardry 8. :3

Sparkle was a great NPC in Wiz 8. We need Wiz 9 now!
    [Deleted User]elminsterNimran
    I keep checking this thread everyday because Alora is my fav npc but it appears to have been dead for a while now D:

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to get Alora in BGII/ToB? I'd love to have her as my main thief throughout the entire series.
    JuliusBorisov
  • GrombagGrombag Member Posts: 16
    Vallmyr said:

I keep checking this thread everyday because Alora is my fav npc but it appears to have been dead for a while now D:

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to get Alora in BGII/ToB? I'd love to have her as my main thief throughout the entire series.

I've played through BG2 with a mod for Alora some time back. Could be from here: http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?board=13.0
    Not sure though, and not sure if it works with EE.
    Vallmyr
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    simAlity said:

Whose bright idea was it to make one a six year old one of the two good-aligned thieves in the game? Did someone think that would make the game more appealing to children? I suppose it probably does, but dear Lord! She is driving me slightly nuts.

I can't believe noone mentioned that until now.

She's not a six year old. She's a halfling. Halflings are basically hobbits from Lord of the Rings.
    They are also supposed to be mischievous and optimistic.

And then there's Montaron.
    NimranElrandir
    Grombag said:

Vallmyr said:

I've played through BG2 with a mod for Alora some time back. Could be from here: http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?board=13.0
    Not sure though, and not sure if it works with EE.
    Looks like there is an EE version available. I had seen the mod previously but now it seems it has an EE specific version :D

It doesn't look like it goes into ToB so I may just have to do the export/import trick er w/e.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Archaos said:

simAlity said:

I can't believe noone mentioned that until now.

She's not a six year old. She's a halfling. Halflings are basically hobbits from Lord of the Rings.
    They are also supposed to be mischievous and optimistic.
    Not quite to Alora's extent, though. She is quite... Adamant about her optimism. And imposing it on others. Preferably through the medium of a sharp blade in the back :v

Anyway, I think OP meant it as her coming off as if she was a child, not that he actually thought she was one.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    edited January 2015
    Hm, I didn't even know she could be recruited until this thread. In the wiki it says you need to enter conversation three times for her to join. When I meet an insufferably annoying character, I tend to avoid them like a plague ridden noober, not engage them in discussion.
    KamigoroshiNimran