Skip to content

Mod: Katana Two-Handed Animation

AcquaydiaAcquaydia Member Posts: 5
edited December 2014 in BGII:EE Mods
Hello, this mod contains the animations for the two-handed Katana attacks. There is a set of overhead and backhand swing for each of the large, medium and small humanoid sizes. The animation was modified from the existing two-handed sword animations and re-drawn to resemble a Katana instead.

How to get it to work:
1. Download the zip below.
2. Unzip the file and drop the contents into the override folder.
3. Run the game and acquire the normal katana +0, equip it and slash away at your party members.

Q. Don't know the override folder?
A. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18508/override-directory-locations

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jad3sasr00yv4n3/TwoHandedKatana.zip

Contents:
WQLS3A2.BAM - Overhead swing (Large)
WQLS3A4.BAM - BackHand swing
WQMS3A2.BAM - Overhead swing (Medium)
WQMS3A4.BAM - BackHand swing
WQSS3A2.BAM - Overhead swing (Small)
WQSS3A4.BAM - BackHand swing
SW1H43.ITM - Katana, Item modified to use these two-handed animations.

Post edited by Acquaydia on
JuliusBorisovdibjackjacklunarGrammarsalad

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Arigatou gozaimasu!

Now the only thing we need more is to get a mod with two-handed versions of the in-game katanas.
  • AcquaydiaAcquaydia Member Posts: 5
    Yup, that shouldn't be too hard. It should at least be easier than modding animations. I realized the blade was too fat, had to go back and thin it out. I'm hoping to get all the other race katana done by this weekend if possible.
    JuliusBorisov
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    what damage does a 2h katana do? 1d12?
  • AcquaydiaAcquaydia Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2014
    For balance sake it should have been two-handed form the start and simply still be 1d10 or 2d5. The wakisashi can then be used as the one handed counterpart.

[Edit]
    I have completed the three humanoid sizes Katana animations. The first post is updated.
    Post edited by Acquaydia on
    JuliusBorisovdib
    it can be made balanced my making interesting weapons like for example:

2h katana 'unholy tribute' +2/+4 vs good
    *found in soa
    *warriors and bards only; evil only
    *cursed: doom on user
    20% chance unholy word
    3 uses of cause serious wounds

2h katana 'unholy tribute' +3/+5 vs good
    *upgraded in tob
    - || -
    20% chance unholy word
    20% chance slay living
    3 uses of cause critical wounds
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Really cool, graphical mods like these are pretty rare.

I changed Katanas to do 2d6 damage in my game, it seems fair since two-handed swords would otherwise be a much superior choice.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    edited December 2014
    @Acquaydia If you're interested I wrote a little piece of a weidu script that will change all katana to two-handed weapons. byte 88 and 8a decide the size of the damage dice and number of rolls respectively. I set it to do 2d6 damage but you could change it to whatever you think is appropriate. Feel free to copy this and include it in a mod.
    COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.itm~ ~override~
    READ_BYTE "0x31" "itemtype"
    READ_BYTE "0x18" "hand"
    WRITE_BYTE "0x18" ("%hand%" BOR "0b00000010") // turns on the two-handed flag
    WRITE_BYTE "0x88" "6" // damage dice
    WRITE_BYTE "0x8a" "2" // number of rolls of damage dice (i.e. 2d6)
    IF_EVAL
    ("%itemtype%" = "94") // do changes if item uses katana proficiency
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • ioannismanioannisman Member Posts: 43
    dib this is truly godsend! I will include it to the latest revision of my Morituri kit, many thanks!
    diblunar
    dib, do you recommend to install your code at the end of a mega installation or it does not matter?
    Acquaydia would it be possible to enhance the white in your fantastic bams, size and curve of the blade is perfect but the blade itself is a bit dark. If you change to a two handed sword you can tell the difference instantly, many thanks!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    bob_vengJuliusBorisov
    yeah that would solve the damage dilemma too
    this hasn't been included in tweaks anthology has it?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Two problems, the biggest being that I never received a response from @Acquaydia when I asked for permission to use this. The second is that I recall encountering technical issues when I looked at it; from memory I believe the one-handed katana animation is replaced. IOW, you'd get a nice curved katana animation when using it two-handed, and then a straight blade when one-handed.
    edited April 2018
    I see this mod as providing a resource to the community. The graphics are the whole point, and the accompanying mod is there more for the purposes of demonstration than serious use
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    dib wrote: »
    @Acquaydia If you're interested I wrote a little piece of a weidu script that will change all katana to two-handed weapons. byte 88 and 8a decide the size of the damage dice and number of rolls respectively. I set it to do 2d6 damage but you could change it to whatever you think is appropriate. Feel free to copy this and include it in a mod.COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.itm~ ~override~
    READ_BYTE "0x31" "itemtype"
    READ_BYTE "0x18" "hand"
    WRITE_BYTE "0x18" ("%hand%" BOR "0b00000010") // turns on the two-handed flag
    WRITE_BYTE "0x88" "6" // damage dice
    WRITE_BYTE "0x8a" "2" // number of rolls of damage dice (i.e. 2d6)
    IF_EVAL
    ("%itemtype%" = "94") // do changes if item uses katana proficiency

Hello everyone, first of all sorry for resurecting this old thread, but I consider this change (two-handed katanas with proper animation) quite interesting. However I am complete noob regarding the coding and moding, so sorry for my dumb question but - is it possible to make this change (i. e. the code for all katanas to be two-handed) simply by opening weidu during my install and paste this code to command line and thats it? Because I tried it and it looks like nothing changed?

Or is my question obsolete because such change is already saturated by G3 Tweaks Antology component "two-handed katanas"? Thanks for clarifying anyone o:)