Skip to content

Can mods do this?

MestarMestar Member Posts: 78
So I know there are some things mods can and can't do, based on the games hard coding.

So can mods alter existing classes considerably? Or only kits?

Would it be possible to make a Fighter kit identical to the Monk class, thus allowing you to to play a dual classed Monk? Or even Multiclassed like how Gnomes can be Illusionist/X? Or with Keeper?

Same Question but a Sorcerer as a Mage Kit?

Or to possibly rewrite the base Fighter and/or Mage to be identical to the Monk and/or Sorcerer to simply make a multiclass Fighter/Mage act as a Sorcerer/Monk?

Or could XP Tables be changed for kits? Thus, create your own Monk/Sorc Kit under a class and modify the XP required for level up to slow your progression? Or set something to reduce XP earned for the Kit or CHARNAME only?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Mestar said:

So I know there are some things mods can and can't do, based on the games hard coding.

So can mods alter existing classes considerably? Or only kits?

Would it be possible to make a Fighter kit identical to the Monk class, thus allowing you to to play a dual classed Monk? Or even Multiclassed like how Gnomes can be Illusionist/X? Or with Keeper?

The answer to the first is...you can get almost all of the features of Monks onto the fighter. The issues that arise will be that fist progression will be weird and buggy and that Fighters' hotbars do not have the Detect Traps or Stealth buttons, and it is not possible to change hotbars. So your monk would not be able to use Stealth or Detect Traps (well they could but it requires scripting and it would be generally pretty buggy) and would have buggy fist progressions.
    Mestar said:

Same Question but a Sorcerer as a Mage Kit?

Or to possibly rewrite the base Fighter and/or Mage to be identical to the Monk and/or Sorcerer to simply make a multiclass Fighter/Mage act as a Sorcerer/Monk?

Or could XP Tables be changed for kits? Thus, create your own Monk/Sorc Kit under a class and modify the XP required for level up to slow your progression? Or set something to reduce XP earned for the Kit or CHARNAME only?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

To my knowledge, no you cannot change the Mage to be like Sorcerers. It is possible, however, to allow Sorcerers to dual-class (and maybe multiclass through use of Keeper... not sure about this one) using BG2Tweaks (I think?).

No you couldn't change Fighter and Mage to be identical to Monk and Sorcerer. Beyond the fact that its not possible, it would also affect ALL other Fighters or Mages in the game.

And no, you can't change XP tables on the kit level, although you can give a kit a permanent experience percentage penalty (using Opcode 104).
    smeagolheart
  • MestarMestar Member Posts: 78
    Regarding hotbar, can't you just assign the one that would be used by a multiclass or dual classes fighter theif? But it sounds like it might be easier to use the Thief as a base.

Or creating a Monk kit with an XP penalty that also gives the spell casting of the Sorcerer.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited January 2015
    Mestar said:

Regarding hotbar, can't you just assign the one that would be used by a multiclass or dual classes fighter theif? But it sounds like it might be easier to use the Thief as a base.

Or creating a Monk kit with an XP penalty that also gives the spell casting of the Sorcerer.

You can't assign hotbars at all. It would be great if you could, but you can't.

You would probably be better off starting with a thief.

Monk with sorcerer spells: not possible
    Edit:
    Monk like sorcerer kit: possible, but you have the issues with stealth and detect traps mentioned earlier
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

To my knowledge, no you cannot change the Mage to be like Sorcerers. It is possible, however, to allow Sorcerers to dual-class (and maybe multiclass through use of Keeper... not sure about this one) using BG2Tweaks (I think?).

Nope. Sorcerers cannot dual-class or multi-class. It is a hardcoded limitation of the engine.
    Grammarsaladjackjack
    Oh how I wish that you could assign hotbars for kits, but alas.

And yes AstroBryGuy, you are correct, I had incorrectly remembered that BG2Tweaks allows Wild Mages and Barbarians, but not Sorcerers.
    Grammarsalad
    I'm not too concerned about detecting traps. I've a few ideas to work around that.

What about using the ranger as a base? Still has the buttons for spell casting and stealth.

Would it be possible to change the rangers casting to mimic the Sorcerers for a Ranger Kit? Let Stealth be an automatic progression and grant spell-like ability Find Trap x times per day, or make it a constant buff at a certain level.
    Mestar said:

I'm not too concerned about detecting traps. I've a few ideas to work around that.

What about using the ranger as a base? Still has the buttons for spell casting and stealth.

Would it be possible to change the rangers casting to mimic the Sorcerers for a Ranger Kit? Let Stealth be an automatic progression and grant spell-like ability Find Trap x times per day, or make it a constant buff at a certain level.

The answer is still, unfortunately, no. You cannot change the way that characters cast spells, and all casting classes other than Sorcerers are prepared casters in the game engine. It is impossible to make any non-Sorcerer cast spells spontaneously without extensive engine changes. Furthermore, Rangers use the priest casting interface, which only has 7 levels of spells, as opposed to Sorcerers' 9 levels. In addition, Rangers have a much reduced casting progression, and to change it to be a full progression for 1 kit would require changing a lot of features of the other ranger kits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    AstroBryGuy
    Yeah, I was thinking earlier today, it might just be easier to decide how I want to play it and use EE keeper to adjust as needed. Which is what I do with my Halfling Ranger (BG2Tweaks) and Slings (EEKeeper to put more than 2 pips into Slings).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Where can I find it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Grammarsalad