Skip to content

STALKER vs FIGHTER/MAGE

I'm going to do a full trilogy run, probably playing with SCS, and I've funeled out my charname choices to Stalker and Fighter/Mage (either dual or multi, but no kit). I know Mages in this game are unmatched, but as my memories of the game are still resurfacing, I'd still like to hear from you how Stalkers compare to F/M in terms of:

1) Tankness
2) Damage
3) Party utility
4) Fun factor? Personal input!

Something to consider: for RP reasons, both have illegal access to Grandmastery in longswords and bastard swords and neither can dual wield. Also, both would be part of the exact same party.

Core:

1. Charname
2. Jaheira
3. Jan > Imoen
4. Aerie

Still undecided:

5. Melee: Minsc/Anomen/Keldorn
6. Spellcaster: Edwin/Haer'Dalis/Nalia

Comments

• MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2015
    Fighter/mage is by far the stronger pick:
    1) FM wins by a landslide. stoneskin, mirror image, blur, improved invis, spell immunity, magical weapon immunity and more.
    2) If you love backstab maybe stalker may be able to compete (I doubt it) but truth be told nothing beats improved haste+crit hla. You won't be able to have 10 autohit attacks per round (no dual wield) so that's a shame but time stop+ greater whirlwinds is also a deadly combo.
    3) Stalker almost has no utility while FM is great. You need magic dispelling (breach, secret word, whip) and you have lots of party utility spells if you want to invest in that.
    4)This is personal preference but I find FM's flexibility much more fun than Stalker's one trick poney gameplay.

Melee: Keldorn looks like the stronger pick with free true sight and imba dispel (especially with so many multi classes=low caster level remove/dispel magic). You already 2 divine casters in your party and even though they are multi classed, it should be enough. (it's a shame that free action, negative plane protection and death ward share the same spell level).

Spell caster: If you choose FM, Haer'dalis is a good choice since it's also useful as a semi-frontliner. He is an underrated NPC that can be deadly if used properly thanks to his very high caster level and stances. Otherwise Edwin is strictly better than Nalia (be careful, he conflicts with Minsc and Keldorn). Just load up on fire resistance from spells/items and fry everything with fireballs, sunfires and delayed fireballs until abi dazim madness.
    It also depends on how fast you want to get imoen back. She can be you primary spellcaster.

I advise you read this wonderful guide to NPCs to make you final choice:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=195278341
    lunarBanArd
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    I cant really recommend anything, that is not a party I would ever go with. I tend to like strong fighter parties just to dial down the micro-management. If I were to go F/M, I'd drop 1 of the other multi-classes, probably Aerie, and take Edwin, Anomen and Haer'Dalis.

It becomes pretty heavy on arcane but on the other hand, 2 of them are mainly frontliners. Namely, PC and Haer, and you still have Anomen and Jaheira to back them up. Anomen is probably going to be the main tank since he gets the best HP.
    Blackraven
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2015
    A (fighter/)mage can tank anything anyway prot from magical weapon+SI abjuration+ protection from energy (can use elements or fire -usually enough-+ magical energy if you want lvl6 spells) and you're basically immune to everything for 24 seconds (just have you cleric cast chaotic commands+death ward beforehand). Throw in stoneskin+blur+mirror image+improved invis (/mislead/shadow door)+ SI divination to continue being invincible after that. Haer can even add his defensive stance (-10ac) to all this.
    BanArd
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's very difficult to maintain that the Stalker is stronger than the Fighter/Mage in basically any situation, considering its wider options, offensively and defensively. At certain levels, though, the Stalker might have more damage potential considering its ability to backstab, but it maxes out at x3, and that takes high levels. Otherwise, it's going to be weaker than the Fighter/Mage.

Still, the Stalker is a perfectly viable class, as virtually every class in BG2 is. And it would require much less management, which is a potential plus.
    BanArdBlackraven
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Actually the backstab modifier maxes out at +4 for Stalkers.

4) I give the fun factor to the Stalker. They are one of my favorite characters to play. That trumps all the other criteria, but that is just my interpretation.

However, I do not play with SCS, so I am not sure how much that changes the equation.

Fwiw, I love the Nalia + Aerie combo. You have all the thief, cleric, and arcane necessary to succeed in just two characters. Fill the rest with melee types (or whoever you want) and you are set up.
    JuliusBorisovBanArdBlackravenRAM021
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    If you're removing dual-wielding from the equation the scales tip even further in the direction of the already strong Fighter/Mage.
    Having said that, I find the Stalker more fun to play. If you do go F/M, may I suggest rolling a Gnome?
    JLeeAnduinBanArdBlackraven
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    There may be a very minor argument for for the Stalker being slightly more survivable early on, given that he'll have slightly higher HP, be leveling a single class, and just generally be more likely to actually be wearing heavy armor in the early game. If you are playing no-reload that could be worth some very slight consideration.

Also, if you aren't particularly power-gaming your starting stats the Stalker is going to be slightly more forgiving to actually roll up, as it doesn't particularly care about its Int score.

Very minor considerations though. F/M or F->M are definitely more powerful once leveled up.
    BanArdBlackravenRAM021
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Stalker + F/M = F/M/T
    JuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    jackjack said:

If you're removing dual-wielding from the equation the scales tip even further in the direction of the already strong Fighter/Mage.
    Having said that, I find the Stalker more fun to play. If you do go F/M, may I suggest rolling a Gnome?

Nothing like a gnome fighter/illusionist wielding a two-handed sword and that new sophisticated voice set from Alveus Malcanter in BG1.
    AnduinjackjackRAM021Blackraven
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    xscott71x said:

Reticent said:

wearing heavy armor

Studded leather, you mean.

Oh hey, that's right. I should have omitted the word 'heavy' there. That's what I get for posting in a rush.

Good catch.
    jackjackBlackraven
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The Gnome race ranger restrictions severely leaves the stalker underpowered. You will have to play as a 'No bonus for me' Humaaaaan or a 'lack of' Elf or even a 'dual denied not as good as a' Helf

And that to me, personally, breaks the game.

*Anduin shudders at 48 hours lack of proper sleep and what it has done to his flowery speech*
    jackjackBlackravenJuliusBorisovRAM021