Skip to content

Instant Dual Class Strategy

curicuri Member Posts: 20
TL;DR: Dump party, ERASE and repeatedly scribe scrolls, buy repeat scrolls just for xp, win at dual classing. (Worthwhile even dualing to non-mage, and keeping one NPC mage in your party to scribe scrolls.)

If you dual class to mage, then dump your party and read scrolls, you can get to at least level 12 without having to do any combat or quests while underpowered from dual leveling.

For example, if you go to 11 cleric then dual to mage, you can instantly finish your dual class. With a 13 kensai, i'm not sure how much gold it'd cost to go all the way to 14 mage, but at the least you could skip any time as a low level mage.

I'm kind of a newbie but I've looked at some gameplay reports from expert players and this is one thing I don't see them doing.

The trick to this, which I haven't seen anyone mention, is to ERASE SPELLS from your spellbook so you can learn the same spell multiple times. And spend gold buying up duplicate scrolls in town. Also, obviously, use +int potions so you don't fail scribing. And to repeat: dump your party temporarily so you don't share xp.

If you are dual classing to something other than a mage, you would have to keep 1 other character in your party and have them read scrolls and split the XP. It'd still be worthwhile to get some levels to get your dual class started quickly.

In my current game, I saved all the scrolls I found (besides a few I wanted other people to learn and use), spent 30k gold on extra scrolls for xp, and turned in a 50k xp quest reward immediately after dual classing. That put me straight to level 12 mage with no downtime where I couldn't use cleric spells. A lot more than 30k gold could be invested in this strategy. You can get a LOT of scrolls for less than 100 gold per spell level, meaning every 10k gold gives more than 100,000 xp.

As a non-mage dual example, f you were dual classing from fighter to cleric and had an NPC mage read scrolls, you could still easily get up to level 9 cleric despite splitting the xp with someone else. And higher is achievable. (And you get to overlevel one NPC mage which is nice too).

This is for bg2. I don't know how well it'd work in IWD. It does not work very well in bg1. Scribing xp was multiplied by 100 between bg1 and bg2, which is not balanced.

On a related note, don't sell extra scrolls you get as loot. Just erase them and learn them (save them up before your dual class, after that just learn them with a full party present for convenience). Like there is that bandit encounter when traveling which always gives the same 3 scrolls (oracle, monster summoning II, spell thrust, if i remember right), and they won't sell for much, but you can get your party 12k xp by scribing them.

Comments

• Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    The reason a lot of people don't do it is because it's horribly cheesy and a clear exploit of a game mechanic (erasing that is, not scribing - no issue with just scribing as many spells as possible, it's just the erase/rescribe for xp which is a flaw).
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Well if it is fun for you then fill yer boots.

But i'd rather play the game and level up normally than sit there for a half hour clicking through a spell book writing and erasing icons.
  • curicuri Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2015
    FYI you can get over 400k xp after dualing to mage, without erasing, which isn't balanced either.

i think when people voluntarily refrain from using a powerful strategy to make the game harder, e.g. "no reload", "no erasing spells", "no dumping party when scribing", they should make a note of it when writing gameplay reports.

do any common mods address this? i know some exploits are fixed in some mods.
    Post edited by curi on
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Personally I like the downtime of a dual class as it makes the finished product something to look forward to and encourages me to really utilise my other characters who are otherwise usually overshadowed by the bhaalspawn.

Not to say that I don't scribe some scrolls for the xp but, you know.
    edited January 2015
    I found a statement on this from a developer:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25249/repeated-experience-points-from-copying-mage-scrolls

"This is a mild exploit that i guess we won't bother to fix. It is on the level of farming infinitely spawning critters, etc."

Some other people in the thread also deny it's an issue. (I disagree.)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2015
    Yea this is like the oldest trick in the book. It kind of reminds me of the Freedom scroll memorizing, deleting, memorizing trick (later in the game a Freedom scroll can be bought for cheap from Ribald and Ribald has an unlimited supply of them). Kind of boring and unnecessary either way.
    edited January 2015
    pretty much everyone "exploits" the rest button which is one of the most overpowered things in the game. i don't see why people take it for granted you have to voluntarily refrain from some ambiguous line about what is too much scroll scribing – and that goes without saying – in a game that has other more overpowered stuff readily available and intended. and in a game which already intentionally gives you a meaningful % of the entire xp cap for your party from scroll scribing if you play completely normally without trying to "exploit" at all.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I don't get what you're saying. If you want to use this trick, be my guest. I prefer not to.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Aside from glitches, resting is by far the most overpowered thing in the game.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    No need to spam the rest button, either.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Exploits like this only really exist for the truly patient. I tried it out exactly once long ago. I felt far more like work than gaming so I don't bother with it anymore. I think the time consuming aspect of it is enough of a balance to put it in a category of exploits that should either never be fixed or only fixed long after all other possible bugs and problems are addressed. Particularly since what can seem like an easy fix sometimes is incredibly difficult to implement in the Infinity Engine.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Before opening the thread I thought it would be about starting BG2 with a human and clicking the dual-class option right after Imoen talk...
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    When you get to Saradush in ToB, take a ranged character with infinite ammo and 100%+ fire resistance. Make sure the AI is on and that he has a standard attack script assigned and that all kinds of auto-pausing is turned off. Place him up on the wall where the soldier are shooting fire giants with their bows. After you see that your character has started to attack the invisible fire giant outside the walls ALT-Tab the game and do something else. Maybe even go outside for a refreshing walk in the sun or get some sleep if it's already night. Catch a movie or grab a drink with some friends. Or just spend some time with someone you like.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited January 2015
    @bengoshi Me too since I just made a berserker 7 -> cleric for my nightmare mode run.
    Post edited by FinneousPJ on
  • molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    dib said:

When you get to Saradush in ToB, take a ranged character with infinite ammo and 100%+ fire resistance. Make sure the AI is on and that he has a standard attack script assigned and that all kinds of auto-pausing is turned off. Place him up on the wall where the soldier are shooting fire giants with their bows. After you see that your character has started to attack the invisible fire giant outside the walls ALT-Tab the game and do something else. Maybe even go outside for a refreshing walk in the sun or get some sleep if it's already night. Catch a movie or grab a drink with some friends. Or just spend some time with someone you like.

That reminds me of playing this great game.
    @molloy: I just started playing that game the other day. I have a gnomish Tickle-Mimic, still in the early game.
  • molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    I started a new game too, but right now the 'Fetch me a bucket'-Quest is already taking forever - I must admit I'm getting a bit bored.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i just started the progress quest, but it literally plays itself. how is this fun?
    @simples: It gets better over time. Just wait.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    simples said:

i just started the progress quest, but it literally plays itself. how is this fun?