Skip to content

Ultimate Sorcerer Spell Selection Guide

Hi, I'm a professional Icewind Dale:EE player and I thought I'd make a guide for choosing the most powerful spells for your sorcerer. I know there have been discussions on this topic before, but they're all wrong. So to help fight the spread of misinformation and to provide a helpful resource for newer players, here are my picks for the best spell for each level:

Level 1 - Infravision
No contest here, this is one of the best spells in the game, and it's available right from the start! Icewind Dale is a very dark game at times and the ability to make things glow in the dark should not be underestimated.

Level 2 - Detect Evil
There are a few other very good spells here, such as protection from petrification, but for me the choice is clear. Icewind Dale is a very deep game with complex characters making this spell essential. How terrible would you feel if you accidentally killed a good lizard man, or a friendly boneguard skeleton. This spell has also, on one occasion, saved me from complete catastrophe. I once cast it and found an evil person hiding within my own party of adventurers, undoubtedly biding his time, waiting for the perfect opportunity to stab me in the back. However, I was able to take him out before this could happen thanks to this wonderful spell.

Level 3 - Clairvoyance
This let's you see the entire map in any outdoor area. Knowledge is power. I probably don't have to say anything else to convince you how insanely powerful this spell is.

Level 4 - Farsight
Level 4 is pretty crap in terms of spell selection, not much to look at here with the notable exception of this great spell. Farsight and clairvoyance together is one of the most powerful combinations in the game. Don't be fooled into picking wizard eye instead, farsight is much better.

Level 5 - Contact Other Plane
Now we are starting to pull out the big guns. This spell is amazing. After every rest I always cast this as many times as possible. I always learn so many things I'd never figure out on my own. It's also good if you get lonely and just need some one to talk to. Extra dimensional beings are always there for you when you need them.

Level 6 - Stone to Flesh
Very powerful spell and useful all game. Especially strong during the final battle. Cast this along with clairvoyance and maybe throw down a couple of infravisions and you'll wonder what the hell an easy enemy like Behlifet is doing at the end of the game and not in the orc cave.

Level 7 - Spell Sequencer
This is one of those spells imported from Baldur's Gate that everyone seems to think is too powerful and almost feels like cheating to use since it makes the game so easy, and I agree 100%. Load it up with infravision, detect evil, and farsight and most encounters become trivial. I'll leave it up to you as to whether or not you feel too dirty using it.

Level 8 - Iron Body
As soon as you get this spell just dismiss all of your fighters, you don't need them anymore, they'll just get in the way and slow you down. Just constantly stay in iron man mode and the rest of the game will be a breeze.

Level 9 - Freedom
Here it is. What you've been building up to all game. The ultimate spell. This is another extremely overpowered spell that should not have been brought over to this game. Do not use this if you want the game to be a challenge

Well that's it for now. I spent a lot of time researching, theory crafting, and play testing to bring you guys this ultimate guide, so I hope you all enjoyed reading it and learned something.
FinneousPJCaptRoryJuliusBorisovChackShikaoTad_Has_A_Cold_OliveJLeePibarowubbleBelgarathMTHGoturallunarIllustairjackjackAbeldockaboomskiWandering_MinstrelGamingFreakelminsterEmpyrialmement0FrogmanmolloySkatanArdulFandraxxlolien

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Fantastic guide, really insightful.
    PeckerJuliusBorisovjackjacklolien
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Wow! You... stole, my guide! Darn Sorcerer... Thief!
    jackjackShikaoelminsterPecker
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    I was suspicious when I saw "pro IWD: EE" player in the first sentence, but that was worth the read, lol.
    jackjackPibaroPecker
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    I actually use Far Sight in BG2:EE and I like it :) You cannot always scout behind the doors and ennemies can detect you. Especially useful in Mind Flayer dungeons.
    mement0Pecker
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    Funn
    Yann1989 said:

I actually use Far Sight in BG2:EE and I like it :) You cannot always scout behind the doors and ennemies can detect you. Especially useful in Mind Flayer dungeons.

Funny you mention it, I use Farsight on every map in IWD:EE and plan to implement it to my routine in BG series as well.
    I would never select it with a Sorcerer though. It's the cleric version I prefer.
    PeckerjackjackQuartz
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    `I'm a professional Icewind Dale:EE player `

do you have a certificate tio priove that?
  • mahe4mahe4 Member Posts: 60
    molloy said:

Isn't his guide proof enough?
    you know what professional means?
    that you earn money by playing the game... i really doubt that you do...
    XeZeL
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    mahe4 said:

molloy said:

Do you have a beef with the actual content of this guide or have you just resurrected this (two month dead) thread to pick a fight with someone over a triviality?
    XeZeLQuartz
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    mahe4 said:

molloy said:

I don't know, I might pitch in a few bucks to see a playthrough like this ;)

I am grateful for the necro. This thread really made me laugh and was good to see again.
    Quartz
  • IchthyicIchthyic Member Posts: 89
    I'm a professional Icewind Dale:EE player
    you get paid to play this game?

where does one sign up for this job?

;)

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Please people, no flaming, personal attacks or insults.

This is just a friendly reminder for everyone to read the site rules.
    JuliusBorisov
  • nitkulokkinitkulokki Member Posts: 1
    I wish I had read this guide before starting my run with 2 sorceres and dragon disciples. I'm about to hit lvl 6 with my party. I figured I'd get fireball for everyone and spam the hell out of it. It's been a fun run so far. I highly recommend trying it out.

The feel when you have to use your cat to do your scouting :D
    elminster
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    Sooooooooo now my sorcerers won't be inferior to my wizard if I choose these spells? Good to know, nice list.