Skip to content

a little help for a beginner

Hello everyone,
i recently got my hands on Icewind Dale:Enhanced Edition and want to start my first playthrough, but i have never played Icewind Dale or Baldurs Gate before and even with the help of some threads in this forum and some guides on classes and the battle system i am not sure about the party i have created.
So far i have:

Vanessa
Human
Inquisitor
Str 18/64
Dex 18
Con 13
Int 10
Wis 13
Cha 18

She is my face character, since she has high Charisma and should be able to stand her ground in battle. Does the paladins shining knight attitude affect gameplay?

Garland
Human
Berserker
Str 18/91
Dex 18
Con 18
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 10

His job is to kill things and tank. Should i focus on one weapon or alternate between different damage types? Should i Dual-Class and if yes at which level?

Reeve
Human
Diviner
Str 12
Dex 18
Con 16
Int 18
Wis 18
Cha 10

My wizard. I took a Diviner mainly because he only looses one school and can identify minor stuff without a spell due to his stats. Will i be in trouble without conjuration? Should i take a sorcerer instead?

Nuzura
Half-Orc
Priest of Lathander
Str 19
Dex 18
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 18
Cha 8

I read that there are a lot of undead in this game so i took the Lathander kit. I found it hard to roll good stats on this one and now i wonder if Charisma affects turn undead somehow.

Eleonora
Halfling
Swashbuckler
Str 17
Dex 19
Con 18
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 10

I am not sure at all about her. I took Swashbuckler because i don't think i will backstab much and it has some nice bonusses. I put 20 points into Pick Lock as well as Find Traps. What other thieving skills should i put points into? Pickpocket sounds fun but how many points do i have to spend on it to make it work reliably?
Or should i invest in Set Traps?

I can't decide on the last character at all. Monk sounds nice but seems weak for the first 10 levels or so. I don't know about druids and their rather severe restrictions and i don't think i would like a ranger much. Any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• Hello everyone,
    i recently got my hands on Icewind Dale:Enhanced Edition and want to start my first playthrough, but i have never played Icewind Dale or Baldurs Gate before and even with the help of some threads in this forum and some guides on classes and the battle system i am not sure about the party i have created.
    So far i have:

Vanessa
    Human
    Inquisitor
    Str 18/64
    Dex 18
    Con 13
    Int 10
    Wis 13
    Cha 18

She is my face character, since she has high Charisma and should be able to stand her ground in battle. Does the paladins shining knight attitude affect gameplay?

I haven't played all the way through the game, but there are a few different Paladin-exclusive dialogues that I recall seeing. Not a bad choice, though from what I understand, a Cavalier or Undead Hunter tend to be more useful than Inquisitors in IWD. Note that means that an Inquisitor will still kick ass, if you think your party needs the anti-mage abilities more than demon-slaying or undead-slaying.

Garland
    Human
    Berserker
    Str 18/91
    Dex 18
    Con 18
    Int 10
    Wis 10
    Cha 10

His job is to kill things and tank. Should i focus on one weapon or alternate between different damage types? Should i Dual-Class and if yes at which level?

Grandmastering a single weapon type would be wise, though I'd also recommend specializing in a different weapon type too. Some enemies resist slashing damage and take more damage from crushing weapons. I'd also recommend maybe making one of his weapon proficiencies axes; there's at least one throwing axe you can find which is miles better than any other ranged weapons that a Berserker can use, on account that they can actually specialize in axes.

Reeve
    Human
    Diviner
    Str 12
    Dex 18
    Con 16
    Int 18
    Wis 18
    Cha 10

My wizard. I took a Diviner mainly because he only looses one school and can identify minor stuff without a spell due to his stats. Will i be in trouble without conjuration? Should i take a sorcerer instead?

From what I understand, Conjuration is one of the more important schools of magic. Still, if you want to use a diviner, you can. I'd say don't take a sorcerer for your first playthrough; if you choose a spell that you later find isn't that useful, you're going to be stuck with it.

Nuzura
    Half-Orc
    Priest of Lathander
    Str 19
    Dex 18
    Con 16
    Int 10
    Wis 18
    Cha 8

I read that there are a lot of undead in this game so i took the Lathander kit. I found it hard to roll good stats on this one and now i wonder if Charisma affects turn undead somehow.

I don't think Charisma affects turn undead, though I'm not an expert on those things. Nonetheless, your Cleric should serve you well in the undead-heavy portions of the game.

Eleonora
    Halfling
    Swashbuckler
    Str 17
    Dex 19
    Con 18
    Int 10
    Wis 10
    Cha 10

I am not sure at all about her. I took Swashbuckler because i don't think i will backstab much and it has some nice bonusses. I put 20 points into Pick Lock as well as Find Traps. What other thieving skills should i put points into? Pickpocket sounds fun but how many points do i have to spend on it to make it work reliably?

Maxxing Pick Locks and Find Traps is a good idea. Afterwards, Set Snares can help you set up ambushes that you can lead enemies into.

I can't decide on the last character at all. Monk sounds nice but seems weak for the first 10 levels or so. I don't know about druids and their rather severe restrictions and i don't think i would like a ranger much. Any suggestions are welcome.

I'd actually recommend a Bard for your last character. Bard Songs provide useful buffs (especially War Song of Sith, which you will get fairly late in the game, but which will keep you topped up on HP for every fight you get into after you get it.) Bards are also fairly good secondary arcane casters, and you can use your bard to cast the conjuration spells that you Diviner can't use. Finally, Bards automatically get great pick pocket scores, which means you Thief doesn't have put any points in that skill at all and can instead focus on other skills.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    A bard would serve you well though you'd have to be careful as there are limited scrolls available, and really buff up your fighters, as would a druid because they beat the hell out of everything in IWD. A barbarian would compliment your berserker and paladin nicely as melee damage is the most efficient way to kill things, stick a two handed sword in the hands of your barbarian and he can hit things over the top of your zerker's head while saying out of reach (they can't wear heavier than chain so can be very squishy if random drops don't go your way)
    Honestly whatever you choose as your last party member will go well with the ones you've already chosen.

Just don't go trying to explore the cave of Caer Bannog, that place is nasty.
  • EnchanterTimEnchanterTim Member Posts: 29
    I guess i'll go with the barbarian.
    Ever since i watched The Gamers 2 i don't think very highly of bards.

Concerning the caves of Caer Bannog i just want to say that i would never go there without the holy handgrenade of antioch.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    edited January 2015
    If it's your first play through I can definitely recommend having max str/dex/con on all warrior types (mainly referring to your paladin here as they'll end up with 40 less hit points before buffs which is significant).

18 wisdom and intelligence on Diviner is great as you'll get some wizard spells that rely on high wisdom late in the game.

I'd recommend another race for the swashbuckler as it's not too hard to find a +1 strength item and going from 18 to 19 strength is a massive boost. I love set traps, I always get it to around 50 before I touch any other skills.

Inquisitor isn't bad but cavalier and undead hunter are just so, so much better in IWD.

If you can get the right stats and race the dualing the berserker to cleric, Druid or Mage is a great choice and this can guide your final character choice - Druid (probably Avenger) if you dual to Mage or Bard if you dual to Druid (or cleric).

For minimum stats you only need 1 character with high charisma for shop prices, 9 int let's characters use some magic items, wisdom only benefits clerics and Druids (except for those 2 wizard spells I mentioned). Always have 16 con and 18 dex on non-warriors. Max int for bards and wizards (sorcerers don't need int).

Level 7 is the best level to dual the berserker IMO, there'll be some significant downtime but it'll be fine considering your other characters.

Hope this helps.
    Yeah about my paladin. I rolled for about 30min and didn't get a better roll and to max con with the other stats unchanged needs a total of 95. From what i have seen that is a pretty lucky roll to get. Concerning the kit i wanted something to counter mages and/or magical protections without having my casters use half their slots for it.

I took a halfling because of the 19 dex and the nice saving throw bonus and i will stick with that for now i think.

Doesn't the sorcerer use charisma for his casting? I think i read that somewhere on this forum.

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Your party is Ok.
    I'll definitely pick a bard (unkitted) for your last slot.
    Use the bard like this:
    Give him/her spells you can cast before or after the battles (buff or summoning spells).
    During battles he should use his songs (you can anytime choose which one to use) and nothing else.

Few advices:

1) Your paladin should specialize in long sword (everything else is your choice)

2) the berserker should pick two weapon style. (You could dual him, but you can only dual into a thief, and you already have a thief, so don't dual him).

3) You lack in ranged weapons...
    I don't really lack in ranged weapons, since my thief has a sling and my paladin has a point in longbow in case she is low on health and the battle is not over or i run out of healing. Her other points are in two handed swords and two handed weapon style. My berserker has longswords and two weapon style.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

Yeah about my paladin. I rolled for about 30min and didn't get a better roll and to max con with the other stats unchanged needs a total of 95. From what i have seen that is a pretty lucky roll to get. Concerning the kit i wanted something to counter mages and/or magical protections without having my casters use half their slots for it.

I took a halfling because of the 19 dex and the nice saving throw bonus and i will stick with that for now i think.

Doesn't the sorcerer use charisma for his casting? I think i read that somewhere on this forum.

Inquisitor doesn't provide any significant bonuses against the few mages that do exist as dispel works differently in IWD and there's not many illusions to dispel.

Nothing wrong with the halfling swashbuckler but he'll never get all that many kills as he'll miss so much damage from an inferior strength score (and what's the point of a swashbuckler if he isn't a good fighter?).

Sorcerer needing charisma is 3e. The EE games are all 2e.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Vanessa
    Human
    Inquisitor
    Str 18/64
    Dex 18
    Con 13
    Int 10
    Wis 13
    Cha 18

Agree with above, if you want pala I'd go with UH or cava instead of Inq. My personal choice is blackguard though, but that's mainly due to flavor and RP reason (though poision + ranged makes for a nice opening round in a mage battle before switching to melee).

Garland
    Human
    Berserker
    Str 18/91
    Dex 18
    Con 18
    Int 10
    Wis 10
    Cha 10

He's a keeper. Axes as said above. Two frontliners is never wrong, so I would keep him as fighter.

Reeve
    Human
    Diviner
    Str 12
    Dex 18
    Con 16
    Int 18
    Wis 18
    Cha 10

I would ditch him and go for a sorcerer. It's not hard picking "correct" spells, and it's much harder gimping a sorc in IWD than in BG since you have such an great group backing a sorc up that you don't even need defensive spells. I have mine on nuking and webbing/clouding etc with just a few defensive spells. Cheap as hell since you don't buy anything. I even "wasted" a spell slot on Identify for convinience, and I ain't even ashamed of it :P

Nuzura
    Half-Orc
    Priest of Lathander
    Str 19
    Dex 18
    Con 16
    Int 10
    Wis 18
    Cha 8

As said above, charisma makes no diff. in 2E. I would probably go with F/C myself, but pure clerics are good enough.

Eleonora
    Halfling
    Swashbuckler
    Str 17
    Dex 19
    Con 18
    Int 10
    Wis 10
    Cha 10

Personally I don't understand swashbucklers. You have plenty of grunts: a pala, a zerker and a cleric, who can both take and deal dmg. You need a thief for trap detection and scouting rather than another damage dealer. I would pick any kit over swashbuckler in your case:
    The assa for scouting and killing ahead of the team, though focusing on traps the first couple of levels (thiefs level fast and you can cast invisibilty on him/her before her own skills are high enough)
    The bounty hunter for scouting, killing and defensive trapping (luring mobs into traps is hilarious considering the poor AI).
    ..or I would go for a fighter/thief multiclass if you don't want any downtime.
    BUT the "best" for your setup, and considering you obviously don't enjoy backstabbing, I would go human thief up to 100 in traps and lockpicking, and then dual into fighter specializing in ranged weaponry mainly.

As others have said, you lack in long range guns. Ranged combat is awesome, personally I have all of my six members doing ranged before switching to melee. Two longbows, one shortbow, one x-bow and two slingers. Half of the mobs dies before they are close enough to cross swords without wasting any spells, neither offensive or defensive/healing. Less resting = more adventuring = more fun. Besides, I find it very "un-roleplayingly" to rest for 16 hours inside a deep dungeon with hordes of monsters around you. I keep it to very minimum and aim for only resting once an entire level have been cleared at least (if possible).
    So, my suggestion would therefore be the archer. She levels fast, kills half of everything, can help your thief set up ambushes due to very good sneaking skills and she can kite the crap out of almost everything even without boots of speed. Due to her insane thac0 boosts even without weapon specialization, she can still pack a punch in melee. Mine has longbows and short swords (elf +1 as well).

If not archer, than Bard as said before. I don't see the need for monk, they are just tanks and you have 3 already. I love magic and I love cleric/mages. They are semi-cheap since they don't really need anything to still be able to contribute to the overall killing power of the team. With both buffs and offensive magic, such as web, fireball etc, you can wreck enemies from behind while still being safe without much protective gear. Give them a sling and a shield and with a simple spell or two they can actually endure some melee if the situation forces it, though ofc should strive to avoid it. Summons is good fodder as well. They can summon alot of critters for mobs to chew on while you web the shit out of everyone and nuke'em with f-balls.

Long post.. need to get back to work! :P Have fun and good luck in iwdee!
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for all the suggestions and tips guys.
    Here is my final party.

Vanessa
    Undead Hunter
    Str 18/84
    Dex 18
    Con 18
    Int 9
    Wis 13
    Cha 18

With better stats and as an undead hunter she should be a good face character and frontline fighter.

Garland -> no changes made

I will put a few points in axes as suggested.

Nuzura -> no changes made

With her and Vanessa the undead should be no problem at all

Reeve -> no changes made

I will keep him as he is, since his only downside is him lacking conjuration spells. If i need cannon fodder Nuzura can raise a few skeletons( oh, the irony ).

Eleonora
    Elf
    Fighter/Thief
    Str 18/42
    Dex 19
    Con 17
    Int 10
    Wis 10
    Cha 9

Ranged character number one and thief in one nice package. Since she won't stop gaining thief levels she will be a bit more diverse in her skills than a thief dual-classed into a fighter, plus she gets a bow bonus.

Firion
    Elf
    Archer
    Str 18/70
    Dex 19
    Con 17
    Int 11
    Wis 18
    Cha 10

I think i got a really good roll on my second ranged character. From what i have read about them archers are ranged beasts who get some druidic spells at later levels. With that my ranged firepower problem should be solved.

So thanks again everyone, keep your holy handgrenades ready and beware the caves of Caer Bannog.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Just remember to get yourself an ammo belt and stock up on at least 3000 arrows per dungeon as your archer will run out really quickly. :)