Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights & HotU

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
While I am sure that there are quite a few of us here that are fans of NWN, I noticed that several people here which I have seen mention their appreciation for the game have said something very similar about it which has made me a little puzzled. I recall seeing several people single out the Hordes of the Underdark expansion as being their favorite part or even the only part of the game they really care about. While I can easily understand why people would enjoy HotU the most, I am a bit puzzled as to why they would almost dislike the other parts of the game. I personally have found that I most enjoy the Shadows of Undrentide module and by the time I get to HotU I tend to get a little bored with my character. I would be curious to know more about what people think about this.

@Cuv‌ I know for sure has said this about NWN so I would be curious to hear what he has to say, but anyone is welcome to comment on this of course.

Comments

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    I think that you get a little bored by the time you get to HotU because SoU is bloody boring.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I like SoU as well, but I like HotU better. I think even the OC had its moments, so I don't really dislike any part of the game.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I think ot has to do with the higher levels and not having to grind to get to a build template allowing the player to focus and immerse themselves in the story more than their character.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Don't remember if I said that I didn't like the other portions of the game or not, heh. To clarify - I did like the whole series - but not love. Guess I single out HotU because the game mechanics (and art) by that time were much better and that its like a gigantic dungeon crawl!! (which I love) Also it seemed to me that the story sections in HotU were better written and executed than the other expansion.

I was really disappointed that I could not import my BG2 character into NWN, LOL.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I liked HotU more, as well. The 2 henchmen instead of 1 just makes things seem more interesting. You have a stronghold to build up, and allies to collect, that does affect a major battle. The stronghold battle was probably my favorite high level fight out of any D&D PC game I've played. Waves and waves of relatively weak enemies, that make you feel like a badass chewing through them. But it's a real endurance test, since the enemies get stronger as you go, and eventually you have to get through a boss fight, without a chance to rest. It was just so much fun to be a mage up on the walls, unleashing chain lightning and fireballs, and wiping out an army. It ends pretty epically as well, with the entire last chapter taking place the Hells.