Skip to content

Listening to an audiobook while playing.

I'm am somewhat of an ADD-case and find myself easely bored at times, i love playing RPGs with good stories and listening to audiobooks, mostly fantasy and SF.
I have been listening to A game of thrones while playing BG and find both to be quite complementary to eachother, when a particularly hard fight starts or something exciting happens in the book i pause when i really need to concentrate on either.

This is not for somebody that isn't good at multitasking, but for you who are i recommend trying it and posting what you think about it.

I can imagine that this only works with games that focus more on exploration and books that focus more on story but i will try it with other kinds of games and books in the future.
RavenslightkcwisejackjackBlackravenJuliusBorisov

Comments

• SergeTroySergeTroy Member Posts: 86
    I'm an odd character who actually read the books versus watching the series (love a lot of the actors who perfectly fit their characters (Charles Dance especially)). Obviously I've got to ask: who's reading the books in the case of the audio books? I think the last time I actually listened to an audio book that I can remember (vaguely) was back as a kid, listening to an audio reading of Star Wars, or a kids version of, and that one had laser blasts and multiple voice actors. :) ?
    RavenslightkcwisejackjackBlackraven
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    This is actually something I do rather often. I like the TV version of Game of Thrones, but not nearly as much as I like the books. One of the others I’ve listened to recently and really liked is The Bad Place, by Dean Koontz.
    kcwiseBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • zerimozerimo Member Posts: 29
    Yes, but reading a book is another way of "digesting" a story and i usually listen to audiobooks while doing something else at the same time like working, cleaning the house, traveling or while i'm trying to fall asleep.

Books like Ender's game for example is almost made to listen to rather than reading in my opinion.
    RavenslightkcwiseBlackraven
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Yes, that’s what I meant. I listen to the audio book versions while doing other things as well. :)
    kcwiseBlackraven
  • theonlypeejtheonlypeej Member Posts: 44
    I would play BG and BGII after work...at 3am listening to Imus in the Morning on msnbc back in the day...
    kcwiseBlackravenRavenslight
  • VahnXIIIVahnXIII Member Posts: 33
    SergeTroy said:

I'm an odd character who actually read the books versus watching the series (love a lot of the actors who perfectly fit their characters (Charles Dance especially)). Obviously I've got to ask: who's reading the books in the case of the audio books? I think the last time I actually listened to an audio book that I can remember (vaguely) was back as a kid, listening to an audio reading of Star Wars, or a kids version of, and that one had laser blasts and multiple voice actors. :) ?

I listen to audio books. Well, recently I did. I enjoyed listening to sales books....because...I work in sales and its a good way to learn new theories and techniques. This was all before I moved to Chicago. Sold my car instantly. Now I read books on the subway haha.
    Ravenslightkcwisejackjack
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Can you listen (and comprehend! ) while reading the dialogue of the game ?

Audio books are great for mindless tasks ( like driving ), but I couldnt when I need to listen or read from an other source at the same time.
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    Yamcha said:

Audio books are great for mindless tasks ( like driving ), but I couldnt when I need to listen or read from an other source at the same time.

So that's why you don't get out of the passing lane!!! :angry:
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2015
    Baldur's Gate IS my audio book! ;)
    JuliusBorisov
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Yamcha said:

I personally mostly use audiobooks of things I've already read once or twice (or more) so if I zone out a bit I don't miss anything.
    abacus
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    hispls said:

I personally mostly use audiobooks of things I've already read once or twice (or more) so if I zone out a bit I don't miss anything.

I started with a book I never'd have read anyways, but atm I'm listening to wheel of time series and I'm very inclined to switch to text. Its pretty good and the progress is slow with "only" an hour on the road / day
    But first I have to finish Olympos, and Song of Kali, and Drood, and..
    You know how it is :D

Fiendish_Warrior , when you're road raging, I'm just using my wind shield washer, its pretty effective (not even diluted, so it makes nice smears)
    Fiendish_Warrior
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    As far as listening to other things while playing BG is concerned I often have music playing in the background - Jethro Tull works rather well, as does Meatloaf occasionally.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    The only problem is that I can't hear PfMW going down. At least in BG I can count ticks, but the skulls in IWD are too hard to keep track of.