Skip to content

[SOLVED] Slowness with IWDEE, BGEE and BG2EE/CTD when I quit these games

AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
edited February 2015 in Troubleshooting
OBSERVED:
Today, all of sudden, I experienced some issues with Beamdog's games (latest version of BGEE, BG2EE, IWDEE):
- These games became terribly slow. Characters move slowly. This happens starting from the main screen, with both new and old games and in every spot of the game. The music plays fine though.
- Every time I try to quit the game, these games crash. Strangely, the crash folder is empty.
- Previously, when I launch the game, I saw the Beamdog and WOTC logos. Now they are gone. There is a white screen for a while, then I see the main screen.

EXPECTED:
The game should run smoothly as it did in the past, with no crash.

NOTES:
Playing on Windows 7 64 bit, no mods installed.
HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P7450
2,13 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
Drivers are updated.
Post edited by Metalloman on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Are any other programs on your computer acting sluggish, or is it just these games?
    Aedanlolien
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Dee
    Thanks for the answer. No, everything works fine. Strangely, I have this issue only with Beamdog titles. I can play Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 with all haste.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    In IWD:EE under options > graphics what does it say in terms of OpenGL (and does it mention the ATI card there - some laptops have dual cards but not sure if that applies to yours).
    Aedanlolien
    @Gate70
    Thanks for the interest. It says "OpenGL Version 1.1.0 - Build XXXX Running On GDI Generic - Driver Provided by Microsoft Corporation". It does not mention the ATI card, which is very strange: I am sure it did in the past. I really do not know what happened.
    @Aedan
    Try renaming your baldur.ini file with the game closed, then when you restart it should create a new ini file - maybe it will pick up the right details then.
    lolien
    @Gate70
    I tried to rename the baldur.ini file, but with no success.
    I even deleted the file, but the new one created after launching the game does not mention the right details about graphics.
    lolien
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Hi @Aedan, have you recently updated your graphic card drivers?
    @Metalloman
    Yes, I did, but with the automatic process.
    (Computer -> Proprietà -> Gestione dispositivi -> Schede video -> Aggiornamento software driver -> Cerca automaticamente un driver aggiornato).
    Have you updated your graphic drivers before or after having issues with EE games?
    I'm asking this to you because you said that your ati was mentioned once, but not now, so I suspect a driver issue, if you updated your driverd before experiencing slowness.
    lolien
    @Metalloman
    Honestly, I do not remember :(
    Do you think that I should try a rollback to the previous version and then reinstall the driver update?
    Metalloman
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Windows update (or in that case Microsoft update) may detect a previous installation and override your wanted driver.
    This is quite common among the machines initially built with the intel graphics and then overridden by a card with a discrete chip. (even though the initial Intel driver was "uninstalled").
    lolien
    It looks like there are various ways that may work. Two links that cover some of them below. First thing I would do is see what ATI Catalyst offers.

https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/202305784-Changing-graphics-card-settings-to-use-your-dedicated-GPU-on-a-Windows-computer-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/367868-33-built-radeon-7670m-intel-4000
    lolien
    edited February 2015
    @Aedan, as @Musigny said, it could happen that Microsoft automatically updates a machine built-in hardware drivers, so, if this is the case, you should check on your Windows Update\show update history if some recent update installed a driver for your integrated intel vga, overriding the ATI one.
    Also you may look on your installed devices by right clicking on Computer and then selecting "Manage": from there click on "Device Manager" and look for any vga device other than your ATI graphic card.

If you find any other device, then uninstall them AND your ATI driver, restart your pc and then install the latest compatible ATI driver I posted here below (I suggest you to download it and to put the installer on your desktop before uninstalling any other driver and restart your PC, as you might have a hard time browsing your pc with a basic resolution), restart and check if you still have that issue. :)

Post edited by Metalloman on
    lolienAedan
    edited February 2015
    @Aedan Here's the link to your ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 I forgot to post it :)

EDIT: wrong link corrected.
    CrevsDaaklolienAedanJuliusBorisov
    @Metalloman Downloading the file right now :) I will let you know if everything works as it should.
    MetallomanCrevsDaaklolien
    @Metalloman
    YES! Now IWDEE, BGEE and BG2EE work fine! Thanks a lot!

@Dee @Gate70 @Musigny
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR KIND ASSISTANCE!!! :)
    MetallomanlolienJuliusBorisov
    Glad to hear you're back on track @Aedan
    MetallomanlolienAedanJuliusBorisov
    Glad to have been useful, @Aedan. :+1:
    lolienAedanJuliusBorisov
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    happy end :smiley:
    JuliusBorisovlolienMetallomanAedan