Skip to content

Permanently Stat Changing Potions: Numbers and Locations

The title says it all: I'm looking for the potions that have similar effects to the tomes in BG1 or the Machine of Lum the Mad in BG2. Greatly enjoyed what I played so far, but I'm afraid I am a perfectionist that needs to have it all planed out. So...
Which/how many/where are they? Are they random drops? Is it possible to have more than one per kind? I'm currently planing my first IWD:EE play-through and would like to take this into consideration before rolling my chars. Thanks a thousand times for anyone willing to help! Also: My first forum-post. Jayyiii!!!! :D

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2014
    there's one that converts 1 dex to 1 cha - it's located somewhere in chapter 1 or 2, can't remember
    and another that converts 1 dex to 2 wis - it's in the lower right tower in totl castle, battle with adventurers with the genie

there's also a ring that trades 1 dex for 1 str

that's all i've seen so far, i'm only halfway through.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they were removed with the HoW expansion, and therefore won't be in the EE either.
  • AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    I found the tome of charisma in a room just before Maluradek (ToL). I'm pretty sure it was a random drop though. It doesn't make sense finding one there of all places.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    wow tome of charisma i had no idea they were in IWD:EE

we REALLY need to start getting a list together of all magical items ;)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

I've heard there is another potion which gives +1 Constitution, but so far I haven't found it.

The Potion of Constitution, uspot3b. Not an original name, of course, but we aren't interested in it because of its name. hrm.....hey--it isn't listed in either rndtreas.2da or rndtres.2da. Must be an oversight so now I need to comb through those files and see if there are other items which are missing so that I can add them back in as random drops.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    The Tome of Leadership is found in Dragons Eye, lvl 4 - @Azzara‌ that sounds like a random drop, never happened to me though?
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Wow, thanks a lot, people, that really helped me out!
    Cluas said:

The Tome of Leadership is found in Dragons Eye, lvl 4 - @Azzara‌ that sounds like a random drop, never happened to me though?

Sorry guys, I was remembering it as the Leadership Tome, it is actually a nice book for the bard ... Sorry about that :o
  • AlketirAlketir Member Posts: 6
    No I've found the tome that grants charisma too in there, it was in a circular room of bookshelves before you go into Maluradek or whoever's room in Trials of the Luremaster I believe.
    Alketir said:

No I've found the tome that grants charisma too in there, it was in a circular room of bookshelves before you go into Maluradek or whoever's room in Trials of the Luremaster I believe.

Yeah thank you. Just before Maluradek... I somehow mixed up those two rooms in my memory. Thx :)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Here are the rest:

*Potion of Resistance: +5% Crushing Resistance. I'm not sure if it is in the game.
    *Potion of Greater Resistance: +5% Slashing Resistance, +5% Piercing Resistance. I'm not sure if it is in the game.
    *Potion of Arcane Absorption: +10% Magic Resistance. Not obtainable due to HoW loot tables.
    *Potion of Dissipation: +15% Magic Resistance. Not obtainable due to HoW loot tables.
    *Potion of Aura Enhancement: +1 Intelligence, +5% Magic Resistance. Not obtainable due to HoW loot tables.
    *Potion of Constitution: +1 Constitution. Not obtainable due to HoW loot tables.
    *Potion of Clear Purpose: I'm not sure what this one does since I haven't found it, but it was in Icewind Dale 2, where it gave +1 Wisdom and -2 Constitution.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    What do you mean by 'Not obtainable due to HoW loot tables'?

I found this in item listing for vanilla IwD:
    Potion of Clear Purpose

Very few of these potions were ever manufactured, and the methods by which
    they were has been lost. Created during the times of Netheril for the upper
    echelons of the churches, these potions would strip one of fortitude for an
    increase in priestly abilities.

STATISTICS:

Constitution: -2
    Wisdom: +1
    Duration: Permanent
    Only usable by:
    Clerics and Cleric Sub-Classes
    edited November 2014
    Shikao said:

What do you mean by 'Not obtainable due to HoW loot tables'?

In other words, when HoW changed the loot tables, they became unobtainable, though I may be wrong.
    Can someone clarify for sure if the Potion of Resistance, Potion of Greater Resistance and Potion of Clear Purpose are actually obtainable in the enhanced edition? Apparently the enhanced edition uses the UB mod, and those three potions were included in the mod.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    From what I understand the UB component is a bit weird in that not everything that was in the mod is actually part of the EE... Might be those potions are just remnants that are in the files, but not in the game (like several other items). Who knows why they chose to do it like that.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Could a WS use the MR potions? Because that'd be a royal 'go **** yourself' if not.

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    I found the Potion of Resistance in the second level of the dungeon in Trials of The Luremaster (inside a barrel)
    Daevelon said:

I found the Potion of Resistance in the second level of the dungeon in Trials of The Luremaster (inside a barrel)

Oh, thanks. Has anyone found the potion of greater resistance yet?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Too bad charisma's nearly useless.
  • FeytorFeytor Member Posts: 57
    I found a potion +2 wis -1 dex in one of the TOTL towers.

Although my cleric is my tank, i think it is worth it.
  • dalglirdalglir Member Posts: 10

Too bad charisma's nearly useless.

True. Every little helps though. Especially when Bags of Holding don't survive import and it drops the price from 12000g to 8000g ;)

But otherwise totally agree. I've never seen any dialogue benefit from having higher CHA.
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    I thought that those potions were rather random regarding the stats they increased and lowered. In the original game I found such a potion somewhere in the hand or wyrm's tooth (iirc).
  • MoribunnyMoribunny Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2017
    Feytor said:

I found a potion +2 wis -1 dex in one of the TOTL towers.

Although my cleric is my tank, i think it is worth it.

It's definitely there, in one of the western towers I think. Found it too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    In my recent game I got lucky and got them all the first time I entered the area. I can't stand constantly save scumming to get them.