Skip to content

Rediscovering an old friend & meeting new ones

reivisionreivision Member Posts: 21
edited February 2015 in New Members Welcome Area
When I was growing up I had BG ToTSC on a five CD set and loved the game. From an early age I was stricken with restartitis and I never quite finished. The furthest I ever got was beating the fight at the top of the Iron Throne.

Some 15 years later I find out that there are new Enhanced Editions out. I'm super excited to be able to play through BG1 again and get a first time experience of BG2.

I never got to use the additional kits and classes of BG2, so the EE versions are still relatively new to me. I've always been a sucker for character builds and when I heard about the more combat oriented IWDEE where you can roll up a full party, I snapped it up. I've always enjoyed icy settings as well, and I'm having a blast experiencing the fights, traps, and story for the first time.

Although I've already restarted for or five times, I think I'm settling on a few parties I like (one for each alignment) and I've gotten to Dragon's Eye 4. I was initially playing on Insane but have since switched back to Core rules for experience and damage as intended by design. I did keep the insane spawns though, thanks to a mod I found here on the forums. I'm also playing using the no +/- rolled stats method that I read about here as well, and it's been great. I'm much more attached to my imperfect heroes than I ever was to my minmaxed clones.

The general idea is to learn about the different classes, spells, and abilities before I go back and re-experience BG1 before going on to the BG2 storyline for the first time. I'm really looking forward to it and have a much greater appreciation for that unspoiled first time experience of another game.

I'll likely be hanging out in the IWDEE section for a while until I finish a few runs of the game and migrate over to BG.

I wouldn't be surprised though if IWD ends up still being my favorite. I love the setting, the party creation, and Druids.

Anyway, see you all around! I love how informative and helpful the community is.
SionIVMetallomanlolienRavenslightCrevsDaakkcwiseBlackravenrufus_hobartNimranWilburKilivitz

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Welcome to the fun!
    SionIVBlackravenJuliusBorisovlolien
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    edited February 2015
    Yay! Welcome to the neverending journey of fun. Let us know how you progress, I always find it fascinating hearing how many different ways and with how many unique characters and parties people play the same game. And yay, Icewind Dale is tops! be nice to the yetis. Enjoy!
    JuliusBorisovlolienkcwisereivision
  • reivisionreivision Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the welcome, all! I've been having lots of fun rolling up parties, thinking up backstories, making custom portraits, listening through soundsets...and occasionally even playing the game for real, haha.
    SionIV said:

I find the world of IWD much more enchanting than the sword coast. Imagine a game like Baldur's gate with the NPC's, big cities and loads of quests in the Shiverpeaks.

I definitely like the feel of the IWD setting more than BG1. The maps just seemed pretty...empty. And it felt weird just randomly coming across different kinds of enemies (sometimes highly unusual ones at that) in the middle of nowhere. I would totally love to have a BG-style game in the IWD setting. More setting-appropriate bards and barbarians and skalds and druids...drool.

Yay! Welcome to the neverending journey of fun. Let us know how you progress, I always find it fascinating hearing how many different ways and with how many unique characters and parties people play the same game. And yay, Icewind Dale is tops! be nice to the yetis. Enjoy!

I've mostly been playing around with party compositions and characters. I picked up some overrides on the forums here to remove racial and alignment restrictions on classes, so I've been contemplating things like Halfling Paladins, Half-Orc Druids (shamans basically), and Elven Blades. I could even create monstrosities like a Half-Orc Kensai/Mage (doubtful I'll go that far) or a Halfling Swashbuckler/Fighter (more probable). I'm really interested to see if I can make a Druid/Thief, but I'm not sure my EEKeeper-fu is up to the task.

I just started playing around with the 3E sneak attack option last night and it is making Thief types much more appealing for IWD than just some /T multiclass for trap duty.
    JuliusBorisovkcwiselolien
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Message for you, sir. It's from the Ferret Lord:

:cookie:
    JuliusBorisovHurricanekcwiselolien
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Oh, yes! The grandest of all ferrets, I am!
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovHurricanelolien