Skip to content

[Not An Issue] Imoen looks like a thief even though she's primarily a mage

3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
edited February 2015 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
[Windows][Beamdog][BG2:EE 1.3.2064][Standard game/no mods installed]

Imoen and Nalia are almost identical, they're both dualclass mage/thiefs. Nalia switched to mage at level 4, Imoen at 7. But their ingame paperdolls/avatars look different, Nalia looks like a mage (wears a dress), Imoen as a thief (wears "thiefsuit"). If they put on a robe, it's properly displayed for Nalia but not for Imoen.

I think Imoen should be displayed like a mage, just like Nalia is, or at least Imoen should be able to display a robe. Agree?

http://youtu.be/pJXy9UHn_Ok
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I agree that there should be some consistency here. But I like how Imoen looks now like a thief. I just like hooded figures, you know.
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    This was a conscious decision by the developers. It's not a bug.

But if you like it better when Imoen looks like a mage, there are mods that can do this for you, like the BG2 Tweak Pack.
  • 3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
    edited February 2015
    Hurricane said:

How do you know? Has this been posted/published somewhere (if yes, where?) or are you just guessing?

I think it's a bit silly that a character that's primarily a mage, is visually depicted as a thief and unable to display mage robes
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    3leeTbger said:

Hurricane said:

How do you know? Has this been posted/published somewhere (if yes, where?) or are you just guessing?

I think it's a bit silly that a character that's primarily a mage, is visually depicted as a thief and unable to display mage robes
    It's always been like this, even when black isle released their own patches back in the days they didn't change this. Beamdog took up the game and they haven't changed it either.

And if we're going to be following the game, none of them should be looking like either a rogue or mage, because when you dual class you don't keep the appearance. If i remember right you end up looking like either a fighter or a cleric after dual classing.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    That's how she is supposed to look. For game engine rules, dual/multi classes use the animation for the highest hit dice available. A m/t looks like a thief, a c/m looks like a cleric, etc. Nalia and Aerie are anomalies but they make sense:Nalia is royalty after all, and her dress suits her character better. Also it differentiates her from Imoen. Imoen is an orphaned child, and is a lot more mischevious than Nalia, so her looking like a thief is ok to me. Aerie looks prettier in robes and dresses, as well.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    lunar said:

Also it differentiates her from Imoen.

I think this is one of the key points.
  • JTerzinJTerzin Member Posts: 166
    Actually, if you played the original Baldur's Gate, her primary class is THIEF, and NOT a Mage! Therefore, there are no bugs here.
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    lunar said:

That's how she is supposed to look. For game engine rules, dual/multi classes use the animation for the highest hit dice available.

I didn't even think of that, but you're right, even the game mechanics support Imoen looking like a thief. Although there are some more examples where characters went the other way (Yeslick, Jan), so it seems Bioware took the liberty to give their NPCs the paperdolls they liked. Doesn't change the Imoen case, though.

@Gate70
    I think we're done here.
This discussion has been closed.