Skip to content

Exploration Question

I have just finished Cloakwood mines and have the quest to now go to Baldurs Gate. My question is will there be quests there that send me to other locals on map because there are a lot I have not explored. Or should I just go explore all of them before going to Baldurs Gate. I believe I am lvl 6 if that means anything.

Thanks for any advice,
Az

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Whichever you prefer really. There aren't too many quests that send you to other areas.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    If you haven't explored all the wilderness areas before going to the BG city, I advice you to follow the main questline a bit, explore all the BG city areas, check all the possible houses and containers there, buy some supplies and then go and clear every wilderness area you can reach.

Make the city your starting point, your operations base.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    There are no quests that send you to many of the game's areas. As such, I recommend you spend some time just exploring. There's something neat to find basically everywhere.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    In my opinion exploring is best done at the start or mid of the game, before you reach Baldur's Gate. Because many of the enemies you face while exploring are lower in level and most have simple magical items (there are a few exceptions) while you'll face harder enemies with more powerful items in Baldur's Gate. So if you end up doing Baldur's Gate first you'll find almost no challenge at all in the fights out in the wilderness anymore, and with a few rare exceptions the items you'll find out there will be worse than what you already got in Baldur's Gate.
  • VahnXIIIVahnXIII Member Posts: 33
    I tend to mix story with exploration. I like to explore the SW and S areas before even going to the Nashkel mines. After the mines, I explore more of the SE and central areas. On my way to the Bandit Camp, I explore all of the central and northern areas. By the time I'm at the big city, I've explored all of the wilderness areas and completed most of the side quests. I am just now in BG and am lvl 6/6 Fighter Mage and most of my party is level 6/7 or higher.

Exploring also helps you keep your cash flow. Completing quests, finding loot, selling pelts and scalps keeps your coin purse happy and it helps you buy the more powerful items.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    By the time you've done the Gnoll Fortress, Brage and Basilius quests, you should have explored quite a large proportion of the western/southern wilderness areas. I'd do those before going to Cloakwood usually. Definitely before going to Baldur's Gate.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I usually explore everything outside Baldur's Gate, start doing Durlag's Tower, then dd the city. Durlag's Tower is kind of long so I often break it into chunks.