Skip to content

What level do you pick up your party members?

GamergilbertGamergilbert Member Posts: 5
In Baldur's Gate the NPCs scale with you (to an extent, I suppose it's more relevant in BG1).

I've always been curious how others go about grabbing their buddies, at first it seems obvious to grab them later, get that sick solo xp then rock out with your brand new "high level" party members...
Bbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuttttt they have spent their proficiencies/thief points all wonky and their hp rolls can sometimes be a bit.... :/

So I'm wondering what people do with their npcs (Obvious when they're not soloing :P ). Do you tend to grab them ASAP? Or Grab them later? Or a bit of both? I dunno! I'm curious!

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    ASAP, always. There is plenty of XP to go around in both games (more so in BG1 however) and the messed up proficiencies are something I definitely want to avoid. Also, (if you make sure to max HP rolls) the earlier you get them, the higher their HP will be since they tend to get only about half their maximum HP rolls when they level up outside your party.
  • BanArdBanArd Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2015
    There's always Erg's Lower Level NPCs mod, it allows you to recruit NPCs at their lowest level but with enough XP to levelup to the level they would normally be.
  • CrowseyeCrowseye Member Posts: 28
    I've edited the NPCs with Near Infinity to give them the proficiencies I would choose for them if I leveled them up from 1. That way I don't have to worry about it either way. I tend to fill out my party early if I'm doing a role-playing based run. If I'm doing a no-reload challenge or want to play with a particular type of party, I'll get to Level 5 by doing some easy quests and killing all the basilisks with Korax before I pick up anybody. It keeps me from having to babysit every party member while they're still vulnerable to almost everything single thing we run into.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    In the past I used to force my way into the game only to get NPCs as soon as possible. I prefer to have the full control of proficiencies and thieving skills.

But now I tend to use the EE-Keeper to simply change all I want to change so that NPCs would have the XP, the proficiencies, the thieving skills and the HPs I find the best in this particular run.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I like the max health on party joinable npcs component of BG2 tweaks for this. Never liked rushing to them early but couldn't stop myself either.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I always pick them up as early as possible, this can get really frustrating for me in BG2 with Mazzy and Haer'dalis.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    This makes the ToB Style NPCs from the BG2 tweak pack a most wanted mod.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    As fast as possible. Full control is the way to go.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    have to get mazzy before she spends that pip