Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity - you guys gonna play?

FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
Just curious to get the bg forums take on this game. Seems like it would be right up everyone's alley here (beamdog employees included).

I hope it's not disrespectful to post this topic! Please know that I'm a huge fan who has purchased bgee, bg2ee, iwdee, and I'm definitely buying adventure Y. I just really wanted to hear the perspective of the usual suspects on the forums (@dreadkhan @elminster @bengoshi @Lord_Tansheron et al) on the game.
wubbleCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Definitely, very curious to see how it has turned out.
    FrogmanwubbleCrevsDaakNonnahswriter
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I certainly hope no one takes it as disrespectful to wonder what people on the forums think of a game that's billed itself as the BG series's spiritual successor. That seems like a very reasonable question to ask.

As for me, well, I did throw a decent chunk of money at the kickstarter, and I'm only slightly short of shrine-in-my-closet levels of idolization of Josh Sawyer, so it's safe to say I'll be playing it. There are so many good ideas in that game, I really hope they've pulled them together well. BG is a high bar to aim for, and I know enough statistics to not expect quite that level of quality, but I think PoE has a fair shot at being a very good game.
    Frogman
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited February 2015
    unfortanately for me there are too many other games for me to play at this time, so I will be skipping it at release to buy at another date.

also, this should be in off topic. there you could honestly talk about anything, and we do, so there will be no disrespect for having a PoE thread (and we have already had a few). this isn't exactly talking about BG2EE after all :)
    Frogman
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    @Jarrakul - forgot to add you to the list of usual suspects! And yes, all hail Josh Sawyer. Love that guy.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I'm definitely getting it, the release date is handy too as it's the day before my easter break starts.
    FrogmanJuliusBorisov
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Frogman said:

@Jarrakul - forgot to add you to the list of usual suspects! And yes, all hail Josh Sawyer. Love that guy.

I'm a usual suspect? *eeeeeeeeeeeeee* :D
    wubbleFrogmanJuliusBorisov
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    I'm pretty pumped for it. Backed the game & expansion and so far it looks promising! Would much rather discuss it here though, the forums over there can be.. hostile at times.
    FrogmanJuliusBorisov
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    After I read the reviews, I'll make my decision. For now, I'm not sure.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I will likely check this game out in some form, but I remain skeptical. I've been watching the scene for over 10 years, and the BG series remains on top.

Of course, I always hope to be pleasantly surprised.
    Frogman
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Hell yeah! ....uh...I mean...probably. If I can drag myself away from Elite for long enough. :P

Seriously though, I definitely plan to give it a go. I've even backed it - I think I was more or less sold on the fact that they called single handed swords "arming swords" in the wiki. XD I got the impression that they'd gone to great lengths to make the game more accurate, in terms of technology, weapon/armour names, even heraldry...I remember once on the forum, one of the devs gave us a fun exercise where he'd list the description of heraldry from four people, and we would attempt to draw the shield from that description...okay it probably doesn't sound fun to you guys, but it is to a medievalist who knows about heraldry! ;)
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    ill pick it up on sale

not realy liking what ive heard so far.
    With a name like @Squire I would expect nothing less! Fyi I don't sh*t about frogs.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thanks for tagging me, @Frogman If you follow the link @elminster provided, you can read the feedback of those people who tried the beta version.

Personally, I was very impressed by it. I found the combat and skills system in that game to be quite interesting, diverse and well-thought. I found the amount of information to be a lot. It was only one village and several locations nearby but it was really interesting to communicate with NPCs and to read descriptions.

The game should be definitely your choice if you like BG, I think.
    Frogman
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Frogman
    Yep I saw @elminster 's link. That thread is exactly what i was looking for!
    JuliusBorisov
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited February 2015
    As a Kickstarter backer, I do indeed plan on giving it a try.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Like with the BG:EE, maybe I'll not start straight away and possibly wait for a year or more if bugs need to be squashed. I only just started my BG:EE playthrough. So many games to play. But I'm definitely excited by the idea of a new extensive isometric RPG and I backed it at Kickstarter when it got announced, so I'll get my GOG copy on the 26th of March.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    If I could see any game made, Pillars would be it (I mean something made by old Black Isle folks and reminiscent of BG and such, but with a system and world coming from scratch). So definitely, I don't play too many games these days, it'll be my only purchase since BGII ee.
    Frogman
  • CrowseyeCrowseye Member Posts: 28
    I backed it, so I'll play. I enjoy Obsidian's writing, so I have great faith that they'll come up with something compelling.

On the flip side, the dirty little secret is that the PoE forums feature some of the more rabid criticisms of the IE games on the internet, and these were the games that were supposed to be inspiring PoE.

It seems clear that Sawyer didn't like much about their mechanics or design philosophy and went his own way within the framework of a party-based game with pre-rendered isometric backgrounds. Having that framework isn't nearly enough to make a game feel like the IE games to me, but fans and the media are so desperate for a throwback hit that PoE will forever be remembered as a "Worthy successor to Baldur's Gate" regardless of how it actually stacks up.
    [Deleted User]Frogman
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    I was able to get keep myself from becoming overly hyped about PoE, but now knowing it's only month away the hype level is rising! From what I've seen in beta and elsewhere this game is going to be really awesome experience.
    wubbleFrogmanJuliusBorisov
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    It looks promising enough even for the "spiritual successor".
    Maybe I will try consider after some playthrough and/or review released.
    JuliusBorisov